Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geocities go bye-bye

if you have a yahoo geocities account you know what i mean

yahoo! geocites is shutting down for good on October 26, 2009. they give you 2 choices:

1. save the data and f*** off

2. buy yahoowebsite hosting for US $4.00/month

between that and cutting services out of yahoo mail (and moving them to mail plus) that are aviliable for free in gmail, i'm fed up with them and this crap.

they must be money-hungry... greedy bastards
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Geocities go bye-bye

http://www.cexx.org/hc/

Comment

hehehe nice parody

why did they buy it. another internet thing that became worthless.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

It been already advised for awhile regarding this site closure.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Yahoo have been a waste of space for ages, haven't they?

Comment

I think I had a geocities account about 10 years ago... wonder if it's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
              I think I had a geocities account about 10 years ago... wonder if it's still there.
              not for long...

yahoo sent his to their customers:

sigpic

Comment

I don't understand how this is a big deal. If hosting a website is that big of a deal to you, which I doubt it is to anybody with a geocities, $4 a month is cheap.

Comment

well its news i guess
                  for a non busy site i think about $50-$100 per year is expected without any branding or ads.
                  for anything moderately busy and server intensive then say $240-$600 for a VPS, depending on whether it will be unmanaged, managed, if you want cpanel (extra $7 per month), if you want backup space etc.
                  anything busy then it just goes up and up

one friend on cheap shared hosting (dreamhost) get hacked twice recently. you get what you pay for. i was on hostgator in the past and they just kick you out if server load go high for one day...

who pays for the cost of good hosting....ads thats one of the things they are for. look annoying right, well some sites wouldnt be there without them
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i get x10 hosting for free

no ads

you get a subdomain (http://____.x10hosting.com/ of your name choice

and cpanel (or something similar)

anybody know of good ubuntu (or windows via wine) free web building software. i donot know html. i tried gamu6 but i couldnt move things around, and toweb didnt let me do what i wanted
                    sigpic

Comment

All i know is that Dreamweaver is quite good (last time I used it was years ago thou). And FrontPage sucks hardcore!

Too bad Dreamweaver is not free, does not run on Linux and I have no idea whether it works with Wine.

Edit: After a quick Google search, it does work with Wine. However there is a procedure you need to follow and I only saw instructions for Dreamweaver MX 2004. So not the latest version by a long shot.
                      Last edited by shadow; 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                        All i know is that Dreamweaver is quite good (last time I used it was years ago thou). And FrontPage sucks hardcore!

Too bad Dreamweaver is not free, does not run on Linux and I have no idea whether it works with Wine.

Edit: After a quick Google search, it does work with Wine. However there is a procedure you need to follow and I only saw instructions for Dreamweaver MX 2004. So not the latest version by a long shot.
                        not even free, but EXPENSIVE. i had a trial version my mom's friend gave me. she bought the dreamweaver bible for 100 bucks for me as a gift, but she was bummed when she found out the bundleware was a trial and full was over 300. damn. maybe i just need to learn html and download bluefish
                        sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately it is the only thing I know of that is any good. Adobe GoLive was good too (also expensive) however it is now discontinued because Adobe acquired Macromedia which produced Dreamweaver.

Maybe someone else can help you out more.

Your best bet is probably a nice editor with syntax highlighting and other nice features. Something like bluefish like you mentioned would be good.

Comment

I stopped using yahoo in 2001 when they stopped allowing free POP3 access for email and charging for it. Yahoo is worthless. As far as web hosting, I've always hosted my own, on my own servers.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                              I stopped using yahoo in 2001 when they stopped allowing free POP3 access for email and charging for it. Yahoo is worthless. As far as web hosting, I've always hosted my own, on my own servers.
                              +1 to that.

I keep a Yahoo webmail account for the times when I'm on the road. I don't allow POP3 to my internal mail server, cuz I rarely need it.
                              Yahoo is an amusing piece of shit... it refuses to send mail between my Yahoo account, and my wife's Yahoo account. No NDR, no notice, no nothing, and no delivery.

I suspect the discontinuance of POP3 at Yahoo was due entirely to not being able to spam the user with ads while retrieving their mail.

Comment

yahoo mail is only good for a shitcatcher.
                                you know the stuff that demands an email to work.
                                i know yahoo sells these addresses since i got spam in my fake name without ever using the account for anything.

Comment

i never got any span on mine, then again, ratdude747 @ yahoo .com isnt a shitcatcher. my friend's did fill up quick however. me like gmail since i get to use evolution (openoffice.org mail app) for free
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                                    It's strange, but the Yahoo account I have on their Mexico's domain (@yahoo.com.mx) still allows POP3 for free. I've been using mine for at least 8 years.
                                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050
                                      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                      it refuses to send mail between my Yahoo account, and my wife's Yahoo account. No NDR, no notice, no nothing, and no delivery.
                                      I've had that problem too lately. Well it actually started happening roughly 2 years ago. At first I thought this other forum I visit had some type of problem with their system, but apparently it must've been Yahoo's fault since now I don't get messages from the Badcaps forums either (at least not for a couple of days, sometimes even a week, but after that all the messages arrive at once in the same day, stating that some of them arrived days earlier). On one occasion, I got a message a year later after someone replied on this other forum I visit. Where the message's been, I don't know.
                                      Even worse, as soon as I turned off the option for spam messages to get deleted automatically, I now often see Badcaps forum messages in the Spam folder.
                                      I also sent an email 2 weeks ago from my college mail and it never arrived in my Yahoo mail.
                                      ----
                                      Okay, enough rants from me, but Yahoo should fix their crap for real.

Comment

if only M$ successfully bought yahoo back then. dozens of webpages i created there for my relatives and for storing images. (there is a small easy trick for hotlinking images from geocities).
                                        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                                        X