Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Featured Complaint - Samsung TV

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...amsung_tv.html

Good thing there were forums and videos regarding bad capacitors in some of these sets!
    They must get pretty hot inside, especially those without cooling fans...
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Featured Complaint - Samsung TV

Consumers are uninformed. It is bad caps not the heat. The design is excellent and has good cooling convection air flow. Just deal with it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

seems like some dumpster finds are coming...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

You need to look at samsung LCDs and plasmas then look at generic LCD TVs (mostly) and notice generic many had SMPS boards boxed up, ditto to mainboards in a box. This results in higher incidences of bloated up capacitors/early issues also SMPS are really packed tighter to save on cost and space. Samsung always positions heatsinks vertically and plenty of air space, not boxed up, both boards are always arranged side to side not stacked top and bottom. This results that these boards have low grade hot spots or just mild heat spots in one or two locations specifically around warmest semiconductor or two.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Does Samsung use crap caps?
          I haven't seen inside one.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Yes, some. Only specific to bad batch of specific caps. Usually 1000uF 10V and 2200uF 16V Samwha caps.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

My Samsung Syncmaster 175V had Crapxons in it. I consider them bad caps especially in hot environments.

The reason I think their TVs use Samwha is because they used to have their own capacitor brand Samsung (made by Samsung Electro Mechanics Co) I have some in my Orion built 32" TV. They sold off their capacitor division to Samwha so I guess that's why they use them now.

Here's the article:

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/eas/eas137.html

This was some time ago I bought my TV in 03 and the buyout took place that same year.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                Consumers are uninformed.
                Having read the postings, I would categorize the consumers as semi-literate.

Comment

Wouldn't that make it a Sinkmaster?
                  --- Oh, Sorry...
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Ive always liked SyncMasters Never had a problem with them well allmost i had an Flat CRT that got brown lines running thrue the side of it but there usely good monitors.
                    My Computer.
                    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Phaihn, I have a fix for your last generation (grey/black) models with side button type.

Pull CRT board off, get 2 screws off the tin box to the heatsink, get tin box off by melting solder on each tab and remove some solder so you can get each seperated.
                      Unsolder CRT amp IC completely. If there is a small ferrite bead BY the 18 or 20 pin IC (DIP IC) upper corner replace it with jumper wire. Remove the CRT IC, clean up heatsink grease on both.

The step is *CRITICAL* IC is wrapped in metal sticker. The gum on back of the IC is the TROUBLE that is causing brown lines because of poor internal grounding design of this IC made by SGS or Philips (can't remember, last job was 3 years ago). Funny thing, samsung partially discovered it and issued a bulletin that consists of tightening the heatsink clamp and replace bead with wire jumper but I found better and my version of *permanent* fix. Read on:

Critical steps:
                      1. Peel metal sticker only the back of IC so whole of back IC is exposed, (this has thermal pad in the IC itself, no need to peel rest of sticker off the front of IC you will reuse this sticker. Read on.

2. *Clean* 1/2 of the foil (all the way to the fold) free of gum with acetone and ear swabs and also clean the thermal pad on the IC itself. Take you time. Acetone is only way you can get gum OFF and get it completely clean. Once done, fold the foil back around the IC. Note: NOTHING else is applied between the IC and foil *important*. The outside surface of foil that contacts the heatsink get thin coating of heatsink compound. The metal clamp will ground the foil sufficiently, that is reason the *need* for dry contact between IC and foil for electrical ground. Foil is SOFT and will conform to make excellent thermal & electrical contact with that said IC thermal metal pad.

3. Reinstall IC and clamp down and reassemble in reverse order.

Then brown lines is gone forever.

Reason I have AoE book (Art of Electronics) and I was able to see that circuit board design is not a problem and biggest issue is that flawed IC had poor grounding design that is extra sensitive to ground noise if IC is not grounded well (only one pin goes to thermal pad on back of IC, and other seperate ground pin goes to the actual silicon die, which is unusual in this case, in fact both pins is next each other but the impedance of die pin ground vs thermal pad ground pin is not low enough.

Cheers, Wizard
                      Last edited by Wizard; 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Sinkmaster that one was priceless .
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                          Phaihn, I have a fix for your last generation (grey/black) models with side button type.

Pull CRT board off, get 2 screws off the tin box to the heatsink, get tin box off by melting solder on each tab and remove some solder so you can get each seperated.
                          Unsolder CRT amp IC completely. If there is a small ferrite bead BY the 18 or 20 pin IC (DIP IC) upper corner replace it with jumper wire. Remove the CRT IC, clean up heatsink grease on both.

The step is *CRITICAL* IC is wrapped in metal sticker. The gum on back of the IC is the TROUBLE that is causing brown lines because of poor internal grounding design of this IC made by SGS or Philips (can't remember, last job was 3 years ago). Funny thing, samsung partially discovered it and issued a bulletin that consists of tightening the heatsink clamp and replace bead with wire jumper but I found better and my version of *permanent* fix. Read on:

Critical steps:
                          1. Peel metal sticker only the back of IC so whole of back IC is exposed, (this has thermal pad in the IC itself, no need to peel rest of sticker off the front of IC you will reuse this sticker. Read on.

2. *Clean* 1/2 of the foil (all the way to the fold) free of gum with acetone and ear swabs and also clean the thermal pad on the IC itself. Take you time. Acetone is only way you can get gum OFF and get it completely clean. Once done, fold the foil back around the IC. Note: NOTHING else is applied between the IC and foil *important*. The outside surface of foil that contacts the heatsink get thin coating of heatsink compound. The metal clamp will ground the foil sufficiently, that is reason the *need* for dry contact between IC and foil for electrical ground. Foil is SOFT and will conform to make excellent thermal & electrical contact with that said IC thermal metal pad.

3. Reinstall IC and clamp down and reassemble in reverse order.

Then brown lines is gone forever.

Reason I have AoE book (Art of Electronics) and I was able to see that circuit board design is not a problem and biggest issue is that flawed IC had poor grounding design that is extra sensitive to ground noise if IC is not grounded well (only one pin goes to thermal pad on back of IC, and other seperate ground pin goes to the actual silicon die, which is unusual in this case, in fact both pins is next each other but the impedance of die pin ground vs thermal pad ground pin is not low enough.

Cheers, Wizard
                          well that sounds like it would of bean helpfull too bad i dont have that monitor any more.
                          My Computer.
                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Where are all of these Samsung LCD TVs in the trash?

I saw about 3 CRT TVs on the curb within the last week but not a single flat panel.

I want one dammit .
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Problems with Samsung come also with a lot of refrigerators.

Ciao
                              Gianni
                              "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                              H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X