Westinghouse SK-32H240S Continued problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse SK-32H240S Continued problems

I have been working on a 32" Westinghouse TV and so far I have replaced the inverter transformer and some of the badcaps that I found.

What is unusual is that after replacing the bad components the TV still won't work. When I turn it on it shows the logo then goes black, then, if I leave it on the picture will show up for a second, then goes black again.

The capacitors I replaced may not be the right ESR or ripple current rating.

The old caps were CapXons and the two I replaced were a 2200uF 10v GF 105 C P733 VENT, and a KY 16 v 1000uF (M)105 C 7(7) 8e. Any Links fro finding the specs for these caps would be greatly appreciated. Replaced with 2200 uF, PL(M) nichicon and a 1000 uF FM Matsushita Panasonic cap.

I also replaced a 5D 3KV, blue ceramic capacitor that was reading 9 pF instead of 5 pF

In the pictures i have circled the parts I replaced and would like to know where to go next in trouble shooting this board?
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse SK-32H240S Continued problems

Could be the CCFL lamps. Do you have another known good inverter you can use to test?
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier Renowned View Post
      I have been working on a 32" Westinghouse TV and so far I have replaced the inverter transformer and some of the badcaps that I found.

What is unusual is that after replacing the bad components the TV still won't work. When I turn it on it shows the logo then goes black, then, if I leave it on the picture will show up for a second, then goes black again.

The capacitors I replaced may not be the right ESR or ripple current rating.

The old caps were CapXons and the two I replaced were a 2200uF 10v GF 105 C P733 VENT, and a KY 16 v 1000uF (M)105 C 7(7) 8e. Any Links fro finding the specs for these caps would be greatly appreciated. Replaced with 2200 uF, PL(M) nichicon and a 1000 uF FM Matsushita Panasonic cap.

I also replaced a 5D 3KV, blue ceramic capacitor that was reading 9 pF instead of 5 pF

In the pictures i have circled the parts I replaced and would like to know where to go next in trouble shooting this board?
      This appears to be and should be troubleshot as 'two seconds to black'. The pictures aren't very good, and without a picture of the bottom of the power supply / inverter it's going to require a little extra work. Since you will be doing the work, I don't mind.

The following tests should be done in as dark a room as possible - you are going to be looking for a brief flash from the backlights.

Set everything up so you can see the back of the LCD panel. There are usually enough light leaks that you can see if the backlights are on even from the back.

Disconnect all of the cables to the backlights except one. Turn on the TV. You should see a brief flash before the protection circuits kick in. Turn the TV off, unplug the first CCFL and plug in the next. Turn on the TV and watch for the flash. Repeat for each of the remaining 4 CCFLs.

With luck, all of the CCFLs except one will light. If none light, repeat, but hooking up a pair at a time, rather than only one.

Report your results.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have the same TV and the same problem. I bought this today from someone who had this problem before. They replaced one of the three transformer on the inverter board as it burned the board open. This time (about three months later) it was the transformer on the oposite side of the board that burned open.
        Is this a bad batch of transformers? Should I replace all three to be on the safe side? Where is a good place to find them.

Pics below.

I should also mention that resistance checks have been done and they look ok - the ones that weren't burned.
        Attached Files
        The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
          Where is a good place to find them.
          $10 on ebay + free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=4301+transformer

lcdparts.net also has it, but it is 3x the price.

http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=2774
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes those Darfon transformers seem to die all the time.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Yes those Darfon transformers seem to die all the time.
              And from the variety of types that fail, it's not a bad batch, but a systemic problem (poor quality wire, poor winding technique, or both).

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                And from the variety of types that fail, it's not a bad batch, but a systemic problem (poor quality wire, poor winding technique, or both).

PlainBill
                It's a shame; the inverters otherwise are a good design (quality caps, good layout & easy to replace the transformers.)
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It's a shame; the inverters otherwise are a good design (quality caps, good layout & easy to replace the transformers.)
                  I've got mixed feelings, Once you have the concept, troubleshooting them is easy, and the cost to repair is minimal. On one hand, I'm happy because it was an easy fix. On the other hand I feel sorry for the original customer. On the OTHER hand, I worry that another will fail and my customer will be unhappy.

PlainBill

Comment

On the OTHER hand, I worry that another will fail and my customer will be unhappy.

PlainBill
                    For this reason, I will replace all three but then again, there's no guarantee.
                    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                      For this reason, I will replace all three but then again, there's no guarantee.
                      Agreed, no guarantees, but there is one indication. I've replace a 4006A type transformer, the secondaries read about 950 ohms. On the replacement the secondaries read somewhat lower - around 800 ohms as I remember. Yet the new transformer worked perfectly. The only conclusion is the 'after market' transformer has the correct turns ratio, but heavier gauge wire - which should be less likely to break.

PlainBill

Comment

Agreed, no guarantees, but there is one indication. I've replace a 4006A type transformer, the secondaries read about 950 ohms. On the replacement the secondaries read somewhat lower - around 800 ohms as I remember. Yet the new transformer worked perfectly. The only conclusion is the 'after market' transformer has the correct turns ratio, but heavier gauge wire - which should be less likely to break.

PlainBill
                        Same here - I've replaced a 4010A which read about 100 ohms below all the others, but it worked fine. I thought the resistance was part of how they balance the current in each bulb, so I was surprised it worked...

Comment

Same here - I've replaced a 4010A which read about 100 ohms below all the others, but it worked fine. I thought the resistance was part of how they balance the current in each bulb, so I was surprised it worked...
                          Do the math. The typical CCFL draws about 4 - 6 ma at 800 - 1200 volts. Taking the worst cases (6 ma, 800 volts, 150 ohm difference), the variation is only .9 volts, about .1%

PlainBill

Comment

Do the math. The typical CCFL draws about 4 - 6 ma at 800 - 1200 volts. Taking the worst cases (6 ma, 800 volts, 150 ohm difference), the variation is only .9 volts, about .1%

PlainBill
                            So, why does transformer resistance matter so much when identifying faulty inverter transformers? (Noob here!)

Comment

beause you will find the bad one open or many shorted turns.stands out from the others.made in the same batch they should all be close.
                              So, why does transformer resistance matter so much when identifying faulty inverter transformers? (Noob here!)

Comment

As kc8adu said, it's the most practical way to identify a transformer with an open or shorted secondary (it is highly unlikely there would be an open primary).

A much better method would be a ring tester, but that is a rather specialized piece of equipment that most hobbyists won't have.

PlainBill

Comment

CRAP!!! Now I caught a snag with this TV. There is a capxon at location C709 (inside the two heatsinks). It had the white glue on it covering the value. When I lifted it up from the board, the glue snatched off the plastic covering with the value. I need to know what this cap is. I tried to find a schematic or parts list with no luck.

Comment

That capacitor is 2200 uf and 10v I replaced this one too, but the new one is too big for the heat sink bridge plate now and there isn't space to lay it on its side. sorry haven't been on since Nov. busy Christmas season.

Comment

Re: Westinghouse SK-32H240S Garbage picked yesterday.

I found this yesterday morning being tossed to the curb. I found this post and I'm glad I did. These forums are always helpful to me when trying to fix a discarded lcd/plasma tv. This was a two seconds to black tv. I saw the three bulging caps right away and thought to myself I'd have it up and running in no time. Then I got a closer look and saw the fried transformer. If I had'nt read this I would've never known about these known issues and just want to say thank you to everyone that posts replies to help out noobs like me when it comes to trying to bring a tv back to life. I ordered the transformer I found on ebay for $9.69 free shipping from China. Just have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. I hope the pcb itself isn't ruined by that nasty burn mark.
                                      I already replaced the bad capxcon caps. I'll post a followup after replacing the transformer. Thanks again for all the expertise offered here. I appreciate it.
                                      Take care, MikeinNJ
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I received the replacement transformer today and replaced it but unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I followed PlainBill's advice by
                                        testing the CCFL's by unplugging all but one connector and powering it up in
                                        a dark room. I did this for all six connectors and had a flash for each one.
                                        So I assume all six lamps are working. I could see each individual lamp light
                                        up on the screen as well. Same symptoms as described by Xavier Renowned.
                                        Westinghouse logo shows up, goes black, backlights come back on then goes black. Is it possible that the burn mark from the fried transformer ruined the pcb itself? Any advice would be helpful.
                                        Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        X