What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

I would like to be able to de solder parts ad not spend all day doing it with the low grade tools i have, nor do i want to put burn marks the PCB i am working on
    This is what i have now:
    • Two $3-5 30W soldering pens (i use 6/8 AWG wire for tips)
      • They work good for building a new circuit on prototyping board
      • Yes i have burned myself on more than one occasion
      • i do not even try to touch surface mount components
    • 100-140W soldering gun
    • radio-shack de-soldiering bulb (can you say PITA)
    • de-soldiering wick (ouch it is hot, and i suck at using it)
    • cheap ebay de-soldiering pump that broke on the 1st use

I do not want to have to but expensive tips for it, if i can use make my own out of 12-6 AWG solid core wire that would be great
    I would like something good enough to easily remove caps and also replace the USB3 header on my motherboard (not sure if detective or it broke)
    Last edited by evilkitty; 12-09-2017, 08:39 AM.

Re: What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

I use a £20 Bakon 950D £2/£3 T12 tips and Chemtronics braid.

Comment

I hate wick/braid because good wick is expensive... You have to get wick with good rosin that prohibits the wick from oxidizing, else you might well not have it.

Having good rosin is another must when desoldering.

Comment

Its probably worth adding a decent liquid flux to your wick / braid before use, that said I use a solder extraction system for most of my de-soldering, a pace sx80. Its older than the more modern Pace systems but still an effective solution.

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
          I would like to be able to de solder parts ad not spend all day doing it with the low grade tools i have, nor do i want to put burn marks the PCB i am working on
          This is what i have now:
          • Two $3-5 30W soldering pens (i use 6/8 AWG wire for tips)
            • They work good for building a new circuit on prototyping board
            • Yes i have burned myself on more than one occasion
            • i do not even try to touch surface mount components
          • 100-140W soldering gun
          • radio-shack de-soldiering bulb (can you say PITA)
          • de-soldiering wick (ouch it is hot, and i suck at using it)
          • cheap ebay de-soldiering pump that broke on the 1st use

I do not want to have to but expensive tips for it, if i can use make my own out of 12-6 AWG solid core wire that would be great.
          Do you use a tablespoon to dig holes in your yard when you plant shrubs/flowers? (obviously, it can do the job and save you from buying expensive shovels!)

I would like something good enough to easily remove caps and also replace the USB3 header on my motherboard (not sure if detective or it broke)
          If this is a one-time sort of use, find a friend who will loan you his kit (or, ask him if he'll do the job for you and treat him to a free meal as compensation).

If this is something you will be doing often, then save yourself the headaches -- and heartaches -- and botched equipment and just buy something "respectable".

I tend to find myself falling back on an old Weller W-TCP that I got 40+ years ago. It came with an assortment of tips (with a crude sort of temperature control built into the design of the tips). But, I tend to just use two or three tips, over and over (heavy, fine and very fine).

http://www.stevenjohnson.com/solderi...ler-wtcp-l.jpg

If I'm doing a lot of SMT repair work, I may drag out a fancier Weller that has a variable temperature control (I've rescued four or five different irons over the years)

If I'm building a prototype, I'll use an oven and a Leister (hot air).

If I'm building a small "pilot production" batch, I'll let someone else better equipped for the task handle it! I'm paid too well to play technician...

Depending on your age (vision), you may also want to invest in a stereomicroscope or a Mantis. A few dental tools (e.g., an explorer) can be helpful -- as can a good pair of tweezers!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
            If this is a one-time sort of use, find a friend who will loan you his kit (or, ask him if he'll do the job for you and treat him to a free meal as compensation).
            I am not planning on changing the header more than once
            doing a task like that is uncommon for me to say the least
            i would like to be able to remove components that have more than 2 solder points (liquidize -> pull -> switch sides -> repeat)
            i do not have anyone to borrow this from, nobody i know messes with stuff even close to this small
            as for the using a spoon comment, I'll stick with the rusty spade shovel i dug up at the beach for that, lol

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
              I am not planning on changing the header more than once
              doing a task like that is uncommon for me to say the least
              i would like to be able to remove components that have more than 2 solder points (liquidize -> pull -> switch sides -> repeat)
              Assuming you are going to be replacing whatever component you are removing, you can, then, be "ungracious" with that component. I.e., feel free to damage it to reduce your chances of damaging the board.

ChipQuick is helpful for "liquidizing" multiple/adjacent pins:
              http://www.chipquik.com/store/index.php?cPath=200

A Dremel can also be used to carefully grind away portions of the component so you only have to deal with one or two "pins" at a time. A good pair of side-cutters can also be handy. I've used this approach to remove large DIPs from legacy equipment when it wasn't practical to try to heat 60+ pins simultaneously.

[Again, the point is to reduce the effort required of you when dealing with the board, itself. If you end up having to leave an iron on foils/traces too long, you can run the risk of "lifting" the foils (delaminating them from the PCB material). So, anything that you can safely do to reduce the amount of time you have to spend putzing around with MANY pins can be a lifesaver]

Things get a little tougher when you're trying to save/salvage the component that you are unsoldering...

A "Soldapult" is also handy for removing excesses of solder (like the chipquick approach -- flood the device with solder to get EVERYTHING liquid, then vacuum it all off). Spare tips are worthwhile for the soldapult as they inevitably get melted from being in close proximity to the hot tip of the iron.

And, some sort of "flux remover" to clean up your mess afterwards (I liked a Chemtronic's product but was gifted a case of an alternative product recently and have been using that, instead).

[Note that the actual portion of the circuit that you're messing with may be intolerant of flux residue on the board (typically not an issue with digital circuitry but, rather, low level/high impedance analog).]

It may be worth your time to peruse ebay listings for a more robust soldering station ($40?)

Comment

I have found 2 common designs (* see attached images)
                is there something made like this that will has replacement tips made for it at a reasonable price (not paying 1/2 the price of them iron for a low single quality tip)
                id like to keep the cost of the iron under $50
                Attached Files

Comment

the one on the left, the recoil can damage tracks.
                  the one on the right, if you have one then remove the bulb and fit a heatproof container with a filter followed by a hose - put an electric pump on the end.
                  better yet, dont buy them.

get a real desoldering unit.
                  they can be found new for 60-100$ if you look - the part number starts with ZD
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ
                  Last edited by stj; 12-11-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I use Hakko FR-300. Well worth the money. Works very well with large ground connections too.

Regular soldering iron and desolder pump is also good but only as long as the component is very loose fit in the PCB board and there are no large ground connectors. Regular spring loaded pump doesn't have enough inertia to suck the tin.

For SMD parts, something like this would work well
                    https://baumtronics.com/en/soldering...g-station.html

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      the one on the left, the recoil can damage tracks.
                      the one on the right, if you have one then remove the bulb and fit a heatproof container with a filter followed by a hose - put an electric pump on the end.
                      better yet, dont buy them.

get a real desoldering unit.
                      they can be found new for 60-100$ if you look - the part number starts with ZD
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ
                      that exact model for 60-100 (ZD985)?
                      what retailers would have it at said price?

Comment

there are several starting with ZD, most are just different case styles.
                        they come from here:
                        http://www.china-zhongdi.com/products.asp?cataid=157

http://www.china-zhongdi.com/manager...6probigpic.jpg
                        http://www.china-zhongdi.com/manager...8probigpic.jpg
                        http://www.china-zhongdi.com/manager...6probigpic.jpg
                        Last edited by stj; 12-12-2017, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                          I use a £20 Bakon 950D £2/£3 T12 tips and Chemtronics braid.
                          I used that on caps on a motherboard MS6340 ver5, and it did not do anything to the solder, I used the braid. I got no transfer of heat.

http://uk.farnell.com/chemtronics/40...5mm/dp/9599509

This for use with lead free solder ?
                          Last edited by Fast Alpha; 12-12-2017, 10:55 AM.
                          http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

what tip type and what heat setting?

Comment

Here are pictures of the tip and some how the soldering station is now showing this error code 5-E/S-E!!!!!

I had the temp to 450c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiuQHn115UY

Looks faulty product.

From another forum
                              bakon 950d, isnt that pretty much a repurposed laptop power supply with small t12 controller added?
                              open it up and measure voltages

I also have the chip quik flux.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Fast Alpha; 12-12-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

K tip,

wrong tip for the job.
                                the error means a poor connection between the tip & handle usually.
                                far too hot too - 330-380 is enough.

Comment

https://www.banggood.com/

Go here and search for the tip. K tip what is that.

Comment

i know K tip, i have one - and 6 other tips too.
                                    K is good for use with desoldering braid, but not throwing a lot of heat into one place.

Comment

Since equipment money seems to be of the essence in your question and you are not salvaging parts but removing them you ought to be practical and resourceful.

Nevertheless you will need a good solder iron at the very least. This doesn't mean expensive necessarily but rather powerful, somewhere in the 60W to 90W power range, to deliver enough heat, and equipped with a decent tip.

The main approach will be to grind away all portions of the component so you only have to deal with one pin at a time, followed by removing each pin and the solder leaving the circuit board hole clean.
                                      Since you don't get along with de-soldering pumps, and experience is of essence especially on grounded pins, apply enough heat to the pin, from the solder circuit board side, to melt it entirely followed by a dry blow.
                                      Tip: Adding a bit of newer solder is helpful upon starting to apply the heat.

I still use this rudimentary method, yet efficient, when faced without my fancy tools or not in good mood (and this is not synonymous to damaging the circuit board neither leaving any burned or scratch marks).

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        i know K tip, i have one - and 6 other tips too.
                                        K is good for use with desoldering braid, but not throwing a lot of heat into one place.
                                        So I need to use a pencil tip, not the one with it. Is it faulty the soldering station. Looks like a laptop power supply unit.

What about that flux, how do you use it on the sticks on the motherboard.
                                        Any help or advice you can give. I soldered and repaired my speakers with a 3.5mm jack plug. It was okay for that.

What is happening?
                                        Last edited by Fast Alpha; 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X