Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange!! HP Pavillion G6 2000, first BIOS crash, then motherboard dead ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange!! HP Pavillion G6 2000, first BIOS crash, then motherboard dead ??

Hello Everyone!

To start with, I am basically a noob when it comes to component level repairs. I identify myself at a stage where I am able to recognize some SMD components by shape, size and color. I know the very basics of testing the voltage by hooking the multi-meter probes and that's it.

Keeping that in mind, I will try to explain my situation in best possible way --

I own a 5 year old HP Pavillion G6 2288CA, a laptop known for its overheating.
    I have used the machine lots in the past and sometimes left it on for days continuously.

After 2-3 yrs, I started getting message whenever I boot, the the Motherboard fan has malfunctioned and the computer will shut down to prevent damage. I have regularly serviced my laptop and cleaned my fan and managed to get the fan going. However, whenever I go to places/countries that are warm/hot, and keep laptop with its bottom touching the bed, or my lap.. then the laptop shuts down. And upon booting up, it gives the error that the system shut down due to overheating and to prevent the damage etc.

Now recently, from last couple of years, all my laptops have been compromised (hacked) and have had many virus attacks. The hackers even fiddled with the startup settings.

But things took much serious turn when after shutting down the laptop when I restarted, I was shocked to see RESTORING BIOS screen. And most of the times, the restoration failed. And then when the laptop once again starts, the screen is dead blank (no signs of life) but only the caps lock LED blinks.

After doing some research on restoring BIOS etc, I managed to get inside the system by removing hard disk, and pressing windows+B key on startup to enter BIOS restoration. However it was a long struggle.

But then, one day once again by system shut down (as there was no battery and the charger cable came out). And upon starting, the same.. I was taken to Restoring BIOS screen and after that got the message "BIOS RESTORATION FAILED". I then tried to again remove the hard disk and follow the same process, after re-booting, I was taken to BIOS RESTORATION page and it said "Initializing ... " I waited for 5 minutes and kept the laptop on the chair and went out.

When I came back after 5-10 minutes, I saw the system was shut down. When I pressed the power button, I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE THAT THAT LAPTOP WAS COMPLETELY DEAD. NO SIGNS OF ANY LIFE WHATSOEVER. NOT EVEN CHARGER LED.

And I could notice that the laptop base of very warm.

At this moment I could sense that there is something serious. I took out the motherboard finally. Did some research and went through some videos on youtube. After which at this moment I could sense that this seem to be some problem related to MOSFET's or Power Supply (on the motherboard).

There is a small LED on the DC Charging socket that lights up everytime when the charger is plugged into it. But even that's dead! So I guess this doesnt looks like to be a problem of the BIOS.

I managed to download the schematics of my motherboard after doing a lots of search. The name of the file is quanta_r53_r1a_schematics (last on on the bottom).

Now I have thoroughly checked the charger, and there seems to be no fault in the charger or the charging socket as the multi-meter is reading full 19.75v

I have also checked the BIOS chip and the voltage at pin 8 is around 3.27v

Did some visual inspection but couldn't identify anything significant.

I then did two important things :

Measured voltages at the MOSFET's
    Did Continuity tests on both 8 pin and 3 pin MOSFET's

As for the continuity tests, this is how I tests MOSFET's to identify if they are short--

8 Pin MOSFET Continuity test :

I test all the 4 pins of the drain (on one side) for continuity beeps. I test 3 pins of the source + 1 pin of the gate (on the other side) for continuity beeps. If they all beep, then I determine that both Gate and Source are short.

3 Pin MOSFET Continuity test :

I test both gate and source for continuity and if they beep, means there is a short

Here I am posting the results of testing some common MOSFET's voltage readings and continuity tests :

PQ50 (MB20 N03 CEI 1402) DRAIN-19.75V , SOURCE-0V , GATE-0V
    (both source and gate are shorted)

PQ53 (MB20 N03 CEI 1185) DRAIN-19.75V , SOURCE-0V , GATE-0V

PQ55 (MB20 N03 CEI 1185) DRAIN-0V , SOURCE-0V , GATE-0V
    (both source and gate are NOT SHORTED)

PQ44 (MB20 N03 CEI 1123) DRAIN-19.75V , SOURCE-0V , GATE-0V

PQ42 (MB20 N03 CEI 1402) DRAIN-19.75V , SOURCE-0V , GATE-0V
    (both source and gate are NOT SHORTED)

I am attaching the images with proper markings to understand better :

Front Side
    https://ibb.co/hXaJsp

Back Side
    https://ibb.co/ipdSk9

NOW HERE IS SOMETHING IMPORTANT:

WHENEVER I PUT ONE PROBE OF MULTI-METER TO POSITIVE OUTLET PIN OF THE CHARGING SOCKET AND OTHER PROBE OF MULTI-METER ON THE DRAIN OF PQ50 , OR THE SOURCE OF PQ48, THE DC CHARGING SOCKET LED LIGHTS TURNS ON BUT THE BOARD DOESN'T TURNS ON (AS I CAN'T SEE THE FAN RUNNING) UPON PRESSING THE BUTTON.

I also noticed some short capacitors (small ones) located near the CPU panel. As they beep when both probes of the multi-meter are put on either sides.

I want to take this as a learning project, but also need my system up and running ASAP as my work is stalled. I am not sure if by replacing all these MOSFET's would help. But if I need to place and order, are these the right models for replacement?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMB2...708103847.html

Also, I currently don't have any power supply to test and identify the component by increasing amps and seeing the short (a process I don't fully know). But can try arranging one if I am sure that this problem can be resolved.

Also, if I try changing the motherboard (for now), will there be any problem in booting windows (please note that the operating system is default factory installation of Windows 8 by HP. And I don't even have the recovery discs for it).

Would appreciate help at the earliest.

Motherboard Model : DA0R53MB6E1 REV:E R53
    Attached Files

Re: Strange!! HP Pavillion G6 2000, first BIOS crash, then motherboard dead ??

MOSFETs rarely go short between source and gate without having a short between drain and source. Also, PQ50 and PQ44 are not part of the same circuit, chances of both of them going bad (or the buck controller) are very low. I don't think those measurements are right.

The issue can still be a BIOS corruption.

PS: better post in "Troubleshooting Laptops, Portable, and Mobile Devices" for laptop issues
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hello ..

Thanks so much for your prompt response. So does it means that due to corrupted BIOS chip, the motherboard can be COMPLETELY DEAD (even the DC power charging socket light won't turn on when the charging cable is plugged in)?

If thats the case, (as my computer seems to be hacked in last couple of years, and if there is a Virus that is corrupting the BIOS every time :

So in your opinion, can these two possible solutions be helpful :

1. Take out the BIOS chip from the motherboard and try to reprogram/flash it through EEPROM BIOS LCD Writer 25 SPI Flash (as sold on Ali express)

2. Replace the BIOS chip with a new one (in this case, I am not even sure where the BIOS chip is located on the motherboard, and not able to find the correct model no. in the schematics). Also, I am not sure if I will be able to find the original .bin file (as it might have been corrupted by the virus). And I have not taken backup of the original BIOS bin file.

3. Replace the entire motherboard alltogether. If that's done, then will I be able to boot back into the stock Windows 8 (factory installed) as I have not made any recovery discs.

Thanks.

Comment

EC takes its firmware from the BIOS chip I think. So if EC cannot get its firmware, it won't be able to run and won't handle power button or DC in LED.

Solution 1. is to try to resurrect this motherboard. It's a "shot in the dark" but with the history and the symptoms it could be only what's needed to resurrect it. For "25" series SPI ROM, a CH341A can do the job (I never tried it though, I use a RT809F). A Raspberry Pi works too. You need to be able to desolder and solder back the SPI ROM.
        You need a full dump for your motherboard, you can find those around the web or ask in "Troubleshooting Laptops, Portable, and Mobile Devices" with the motherboard model number and attaching your old BIOS dump.

Solution 3. is the easy way to get the laptop back up and running. There are several motherboards available on eBay/Aliexpress, but you never know what you get.
        Replacing the motherboard won't affect the data on the hard drive, and the Windows installation will work just as well as before. Also nowadays you can get W10 from the official Microsoft website, they give you a tool to download an ISO and transfer it to a USB key.

The issue you'll encounter in both cases is that you'll lose the Windows license that is stored inside the BIOS. With solution 1. you can ask someone to try to extract it from the BIOS dump if it's not corrupted. With solution 3. you can only hope that the license key in the BIOS from the motherboard you buy is still valid (it most likely won't).
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

^ HP stores EC and (some parts of)BIOS on one chip. Many manufacturers do.

Piernov is correct in that a faulty flash chip will result in a dead machine.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The bios is marked U20 on the motherboard. If you decide to flash the bios you need to know which bios version to flash as theres 2 different ones for this model.Backup your bios first, then open it with a hex editor,such as HxD .Scroll all the way down to the bottom,and on the 5th line up you`ll see BID0188D or BID01847 .I`ve attatched both bios,they`re straight from hp,not dumps,so they won`t have any DMI info.
            Attached Files
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
            X