Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Docking Stations Power Supplies...?

All,
    I recently purchased for a colleague and myself two used HP Docking Stations. They are for home use and are exact model as the ones we use at work for our laptops. We are both Software Developers.

Anyways these docks are HP Model 5TW10UT#ABA.

Unfortunately they did not come with there Power supplies (PSU) and I got them reasonable from eBay.

I purchased 2 new from Amazon After Market Power Supplies(PSU). Same Voltage and Same Amperage and in fact it mentions on the Amazon page they are supported for these docks as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So when I received both the Docks and the PSU's I hooked them up to test them out at my home office.

Nothing appeared to work, does not even charge laptop, and there is no light on the bottom where the PSU connects in to the Dock. (Exactly as the one at my work office does)

So I figured I got some bad Docks as both were doing the same exact thing.

The connector of the PSU is the same type/size/voltage as my laptop. Upon plugging it in to my laptop directly it charges my laptop...So this also pointed to bad Docks.

So I for the hell of it I brought both docks and new PSUs into my work office. I swapped the HP Power Supply to my eBay bought docks and they both work fine. I take the new Amazon bought PSU and hooked it to my work office Dock and it does not work and acts exactly like my other docks on the PSU.

So I now think the Docks are good the PSUs are bad.

I have included images of the PSUs involved.

What did I miss or is there something else going on? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-09-2023, 09:10 AM. Reason: Added "HP Docking Stations" to thread title

Re: Power Supplies...?

Probably connector issue, I mean on psu side center + pin might to be too wide or too deep, then cannot touch docking pin... on 5mm "standard" plug, there is so many type, dimension, missmatch with iner pin... I guess that s the problem, not bad psu.

Comment

Re: HP Docking Stations Power Supplies...?

back to jeff bezo's with them, get a refund.

Comment

If you have nice devices that make you money don't cheap out on crappy power supplies, send them back to the smiley box abusers and buy genuine from a proper place.

Comment

All,
          Typically I would buy a HP one but actually the HP one appears to be made by Lite On. So its actually relabeled.

Unfortunately the HP PSU used is more than double the cost of the after market. Not to mention more than what I bought the Docks for originally.

The reviews were actually good on the aftermarket PSU.

With that said, the connector issue could make some sense.

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

Look up your local Craigslist or go to Ebay and get a used genuine adapter. They go for a fraction of the cost of new ones and will still be better than a no-name adapter. Just beware that sometimes used adapters may eventually develop a frayed cord on the output side a little q uicker (usually if it was owned by someone who moved or traveled a lot with their laptop.) But that's a fairly easy fix. Since you would be using it with a docking station, you probably won't move it much, so I doubt it would be an issue.

In any case, if you do get a used adapter, make sure to run the built-in diagnostics on the laptop, just to make sure the adapter is detected as genuine. This is usually more specific to Dell laptops, but I don't know if HP does it now too. At least some years back, HP laptops and docks didn't always care what PSU you'd use with them. As for Dells, the laptop will refuse to charge the battery or run at the lowest performance state if the adapter is not detected as genuine... so that's obviously an issue. The good news is modern Dell laptops all have built-in diagnostics (press F12 for boot menu on power-up and select the diagnostics from there), so it's easy to check if the adapter is recognized or not. I don't know anymore if modern HP laptops have this too. But if they do, it should either be accessible through CMOS/BIOS or hit "Esc" to get to boot menu and see if it's there.
            Last edited by momaka; 05-09-2023, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Over here a genuine power supply is £40 new.
              Lite-on make quality power supplies and have done for years.
              Amazon doesn't check or care about what it sells, if it works most people will give it a positive review but they are clueless to the quality.

Comment

Most likely the non-original doesnt have proper HP ID circuitry so the laptop/dock think its a 65 (or 90W?) power supply. Thus the laptop charges but dock doesnt. It wants a 120W+ power supply.

Comment

i dont think it has a 3pin connector.

Comment

All,
                    Its a 120 Watt PSU 19.5V 6.15 amps.

Its 90 degree 4.5mm blue tipped end.

So today I decided to send the PSUs back to Amazon and have them replace them.

I got my scope out and looked at the connector on the docks. They are clean and solid and not pushed in and I believe it would be hard to actually damage as its a 90 degree design. In both docks they look fine.

So I got out my multimeter. I measured the voltage at the PSU connector end. It measure 20.06 on the PSUs from Amazon. So Voltage a little over but stable over a period of time I watched it.

I did the two HPs at work 20.76V and 20.66V.

So they are also both over the stated 19.5V.

Would this Voltage difference (i.e. 20.06 vs 20.76) be enough to cause one to work and another not to work? (My feeling is no I would assume some variance is acceptable)

I would think that the 19.5 stated Voltage would be the required minimum?

Thoughts?

If this does not work I have located two more PSUs but both are around $40 each used HPs.

Thanks,
                    Chris

Comment

the voltage is not important, most stuff will run from 15 to 22 or more.
                      but dont go over 20 because the caps are rated for much more.

it's probably a connector issue on the clone chargers

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonMan View Post
                        Would this Voltage difference (i.e. 20.06 vs 20.76) be enough to cause one to work and another not to work? (My feeling is no I would assume some variance is acceptable)
                        Indeed some variance is accepted... and actually as sjt noted, the voltage is not too important, because laptops have internal buck regulators that will convert the input voltage to the much lower voltages needed.
                        Generally, most parts inside the laptop on the input side (where the power adapter connects to) will be rated 35V or 50V, so higher voltage is not a problem. However, just in case some manufacturer used 25V -rated parts, it's usually not a good idea to go over 23-24V for the input. And as far as how low you can go - as low as you like, so long it's a few volts more than the battery's max voltage (when fully charged - i.e. ~4 to 4.2V per cell on most Lithium, IIRC.) But generally, 15-16V is indeed the lower limit.

As to why those adapters read a little higher than 19.5V: once the laptop is under load (CPU or GPU or both), this will cause a higher current to be drawn from the adapter, which would cause some voltage drop through the cable. So under load normal loads, the voltage will indeed likely measure closer to 19.5V on the laptop end. And with really heavy CPU/GPU loads, the voltage could go even under 19V.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        it's probably a connector issue on the clone chargers
                        If it's not a 3-pin connector, then that would be my guess as well... unless HP has managed to put some kind of signal to go through to the laptop before the adapter turns on. But I doubt it.

Comment

Stj,
                          I wonder about the connectors myself and the docking plug.

They appear to fit snug, the center is a single pin and both sides look good.

The outside of the PSU connector is 4.5 mm.

The inside on the Docking station has three points of contact that the PSU connector would make contact.

I am wondering if there is possibly not enough amperage coming out which I would have to put my DMM in circuit and unfortunately I do not have the proper connector to the docking station...I have been meaning to buy a "Set" of the adapters connectors for just this purpose.

My feeling is I hate to waste the money but if the new PSUs from Amazon do not correct the issue I am going to buy the used HPs.

In the scheme of things I spent more than that on breakfast this morning at IHop for the wife and I to have breakfast (Anniversary)...which is another rant for a different day.

Thanks,
                          Chris

Comment

i personally dont trust barrel type plugs with more than about 4A,
                            they where originally designed for about 1A and even with the forked type center contact i really dont trust them at over 5A

Comment

Working...
                            X