DVR recorder Switching power supply Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVR recorder Switching power supply Failure

When I originally started with my DVR recorder it had 4 individual switching switching power supply’s that were sh*t so I bought a 7 amp 12 volt switching power supply and modified the output plug and put a four output power supply cable to match the input power supply cable inputs

Which worked for over 14 years until a few days ago when the cameras went dark no picture anymore well it turns out now the switching power supply has stopped working altogether now so I have to troubleshoot what has happened to this power supply more later on today what I found

This was in another post from several years ago

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=sam_sam_sam see from post #9 from there and to the end of the post for some issues that I have had with this device

Here is a photo of the inside of the DVR recorder
    I have another DVR recorder and it shows the right way with no line or anything that not suppose to be there

I have a question about ordering the surface mount cap on this board I want order them from Digikey what would the part number be for one of them
    They used very good brand KY
    This DVR recorder setup is about 16 years old now that I have had a DVR recorder system installed with the original cameras However the DVR recorder was replaced once and all of the cameras were replaced at least once

One note the hard drive was removed because it had failed twice in a very short period of time and I got tired of replacing it and I really do not go back and review anyway I just look at the cameras when I am about to go outside which is what I really use it for anyway

One down the driveway to the main road entrance
    One at the front door and both garage doors
    One on one side of the house
    One on the back of the house

It is really ( mostly at night ) convenient for me to see why my son’s dog is in an uproar and usually it is because of his girlfriend coming over ( or some sort of animal that should not be where the dog can see it ) and this dog is strange in that most of the time he does not bark at me but he does at my wife and my son most of the time and definitely his girlfriend all of the time the dog always turns his head to when the gate beeps when it is opening and closing to see what is happening at the gate

I had a dog once that would bark at the UPS guy when we were home but if we were not home the dog would not bark at him and we had the same delivery guy for the longest time I found this really funny and strange as well

7G ?
    220 uf
    6.3. Volts
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-27-2023, 03:40 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: DVR recorder Switching power supply Failure

The switching power supply had a major malfunction on the primary side of the power supply not going to be able to repair that is not going to take a majority of my time that I do not have just going to part it out the main filtering capacitor has a severe short circuit issue that I do not want to deal with

So I just going to buy another switching power supply 4.16 amp outlet current unfortunately I could not find a reasonable price switching power that was 7 amp current output but this power supply was surplus and very reasonable priced at the time and I think was a medical grade even though it does not say that it is
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-28-2023, 06:08 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Re: DVR recorder Switching power supply Failure

That top cap by the "101" doesn't look that healthy.

Comment

Working...
      X