Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milwaukee M18 HD12.0 (12 amp hour battery pack) unbalanced failure charger refusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milwaukee M18 HD12.0 (12 amp hour battery pack) unbalanced failure charger refusing

I have two Milwaukee 12 amp hours battery packs that have an issue with battery cells very unbalanced these are probably over 4 years old and been heavily used in the past but now get occasionally used heavily and when I went to use the grinder tool the battery lost battery battery power very quickly so I decided to open it up and found some battery cells voltage from 3.6 to 4.1 no wonder the battery charger was not fully charging them 3 out of 4 LEDs were on meaning that it was only 75% charged

So I have put them on the battery testing machine to drain each battery cell down to 3.0 volts and let battery charger for the tool do the charging cycle again and see if it will fully charge this time around or if not then I will hunting down replacement battery cells that high amp battery cells made for power tool

Because these battery packs have really gone up in price I have only bought one new battery pack because of the price

Home Depot in the past has had a special buy where you get two battery packs
    For what I paid for one battery pack that I bought today

The 12 amp hour battery pack is the most expensive battery pack that they sell for the Milwaukee
    Yes I could have bought the 6 amp hour battery packs but even these do not have a special buy on these either come to think of it only the M12 battery packs are the only one that they have the dual battery packs special available right now I buy another set because they have a tool except tax free week in Florida this week so I might just take advantage of this
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-04-2022, 05:38 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Milwaukee M18 HD12.0 (12 amp hour battery pack) unbalanced failure charger refusi

Well on one battery cell grouping the amp hour rating is going to be very close to 12 amp hour but the other battery cells are coming in at over 5.something amp hour so lets see if discharging to 3 volts and letting the tool battery charger recharge the battery pack and see if it improves or not

But it the same exact thing about 3.6 to 4.0 volts voltage range in the second battery pack as well

At this point I do not know if these battery packs are to still be any good and are just showing there age
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-04-2022, 11:13 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Re: Milwaukee M18 HD12.0 (12 amp hour battery pack) unbalanced failure charger refusi

are they 18650?

the chinese are selling shells and boards on ali that let you use bigger cells now like 21700's

Comment

I would use 21700 but able to find good quality ones and only a few on eBay

I did a Google search and found these and they do take PayPal

https://www.18650batterystore.com/pr...SABEgJelvD_BwE

According to the website these batteries are made in “Republic of Korea” they are sometimes hit and miss in quality
        But I going to give them a try because right now they have a sale on them 15 of them would be $65.25

But STJ do the Chinese made BMS protection board are they any good and will the Milwaukee battery chargers work with them or would you have all kinds of issues

I have seen them on eBay and wonder if they would be a good option or not
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-05-2022, 05:43 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have one group of battery cells that I have to bring down to 3 volts and then put it on the power tool charger and let see what happens when this
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

the BMS boards are all crap - all of them including milwalkee
            they dont actually balance anything, they just monitor the state and stop charge when they go out of balance.

Comment

Yes I know that these are not BMS balancing protection boards but you did answer my question the ones that I have seen on eBay are the lower amp hour battery packs not the higher powered boards they are a little different here is a picture of a 12 amp hour battery pack BMS protection board also here a side picture of the end of the battery cells
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-05-2022, 11:21 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I answered the question about discharging the battery cells down to 3 volts and letting the Milwaukee battery charger to recharge the battery pack

Unfortunately it does the same exact thing again it only gets to 3 out of 4 LEDs lights up some of the battery cells are not working correctly anymore so it time to dismantle the battery packs and put new battery cells in them

I did not have much hope for this to really work but it was the simplest thing to try first and I now know the answer to this question of weather or not it would work

STJ in the description of these after market Milwaukee battery pack board plastic case battery holder plastic case dose it say 21700 batteries holder in it does not mention what size that they take

So I suspect that they are the 18650 battery holders which I did find out from a YouTube video that the HD12 amp battery pack does use the 21700 batteries in this series
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-05-2022, 03:41 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I took advantage of the the sale that they have on these batteries I bought 30 of them to replace the old cells in the two battery packs that are having the issue with the unbalanced battery cells

The sale ends at midnight
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002359858734.html

magic words "Milwaukee m18 battery case 21700"

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002359858734.html

magic words "Milwaukee m18 battery case 21700"
                      What is with AliExpress sellers no body want to take PayPal this is not acceptable because you do not have any recourse if things go wrong with just a credit card company-s

I did find the 12 amp version and a 18 amp version but I have my dough about the 18 amp version though

I going to just order one of them and see how well it works before I get a couple more of them

But by the time you order the case with BMS protection board and the 21700 batteries you are at about the cost of a genuine Milwaukee battery pack so I got see just how good of quality these off brand battery pack guts are
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-05-2022, 06:13 PM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

the video was good,
                        i didnt know some sellers didnt use paypal.
                        could it be some sanctions bs?

i know paypal refused to handle russian sellers.

Comment

The option to pay via PayPal is in the checkout.

Comment

I’ve bought 15 years ago a Hitachi 18V cordless drill with two 18V, 3Ah batteries. Yep I am still using it, but it’s almost worn out. However, the batteries in this thing still work. They still charge fine. They don’t have quite the 3Ah capacity anymore, but they aren’t doing that what yours do.
                            I’ve got a 6 year old Bosch 18V set with 5 Ah batteries. Now this thing has more grunt than the Hitachi. Same here, haven’t got a battery that doesn’t work like it should.
                            Did these Milwaukee batteries got abused bad, or are they just having shitty battery and chargers?

Comment

the old stuff you have is probably nicad, i have a bosch electric screwdriver with nicads - still good after 20years roughly!

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                Did these Milwaukee batteries got abused bad, or are they just having shitty battery and chargers?
                                Yes they did get abused to some extent
                                Not always being charged when battery got to 50%
                                Sometimes when the battery had no more they might get put on the charger
                                Sometimes letting them be in this state longer than it should have been
                                Having them in the car or truck most of the time

These are good quality batteries that have not been taken care of like they should have been

The battery charger does tend to get the battery somewhat warm which is not ideal condition for long life

One thing that probably does not help much is I tend to work my power tools hard this dose not help them much either

I am really surprised that they have lasted as long as they have
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-06-2022, 08:32 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I did manage to get the battery pack to fully charge the battery pack but only after discharge one group of battery cells because that group of battery cells were 4.1 volts and the rest of them were 3.6 volts so I discharged that group to the same exact voltage so then the hole battery pack completely charged up

So let see if when I use it again if I have decent run time or not
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

u can only use paypal on aliexpress if the seller u are buying from allows and accepts paypal as a payment option in their seller account.

anyway if the seller focks with u, u can just do a chargeback on the credit card with the credit card company be it visa, mastercard, amex etc. couldnt you?

my card was issued by the bank so i just did a chargeback with the bank when i bought a couple of high capacity hard drives from junkbay that were doa and when i returned the faulty hard drives and paid expensive international shipping out of my own pocket, the sellers claimed they never received the drive at all and both ebay and paypal refused to refund the money when i showed the receipt of how much i paid with the tracking number. i ended up having to do a chargeback with the card issuer (the bank) and got my money back minus the return shipping i paid. shitty junkbay sellers...

Comment

STJ

I ordered from this seller “Shop3686085 Store”

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...xx__1662589135

If you have the AliExpress application it goes to the item that I am talking about if you do not have the application then it goes to as well

My credit card flagged the order attempt because this is the first time that I have ordered from them with the credit card

This has happened to me every time I have a different credit card that I have used to order something from them which is not a bad thing but I asked the credit card company to not remove the flagging this website when I order from them

On thing that I have learned about buying items from AliExpress do not reply that you receive the item or items until your time is about to expire then reply that you receive the items because I once had an issue with an order and I was told that once you say that you received the order then they assume that everything is ok same with Banggood and couple other websites like this EBay has gotten this way as well so wait for a while before I will leave a feedback message about the purchase

ChaosLegionnaire

I once had an issue with eBay that did not want to refund a defective device and I went to PayPal and they refunded my money on that order I guess it depends on what the seller tells them that determines what happens to your case

But this was an issue with sending back the device it going to cost more than the device was and I refuse to pay for the shipping cost and seller did not want to even pay half of the cost
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-07-2022, 04:47 PM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well an update to weather or not both battery packs were able to be fully charged the answer is yes but now I have to see how much this has effect the running time for these two battery packs

One thing may have contributed to this issue was that these two battery packs sat idle for a couple of years before I put them on the charger and this is not surprising that this has happened
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-08-2022, 06:34 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X