MOV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOV question

I have a blown MOV (its RED about the size of a dime) its directly across 120V AC mains. I would think this is a "standard" surge supressor. What is a reasonable component to repalces this? the inline FUSE is 4 amps fast blow. I'd like to still provide some future protection. Any suggestion are appreciated.

Re: MOV question

I am thinking this is a good fit:
    MOV14V130Y
    340V clamping 130V AC 57 Joules

Comment

130VAC is too tight. We discussed here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101686
      Design for around 25% over max. system voltage, mains can be ~123VAC lately, gives a lowest 150VAC part. Around 175-200VAC 20mm parts are common in power bars.

I would not go with that MOV it's low cost and today I use 150VAC rated 20mm with the built-in thermal fuse (TMOV series) for fire protection.
      It depends on why the old MOV blew, if you have lightning etc.
      Red is antique GE or newer Littelfuse part.

Comment

Redwire is absolutely correct. For 120VAC you need at least a 175VAC MOV. Some suggest even a 220VAC MOV.

Comment

Hey fellas thanks feor the replies! And Redwire thanks for the link. I will def. go higher rating. The reason this MOV blew is the power company has a tree fall and mst have shorted distribution lines and ZAP. loss of power to an entire area then they reset and this device ia like from the 1980's or 1990's at the latest. So I will go with a good a TMOV as I can find. I amlooking mouser since they have another component I needed for this same device. Its a MAINS filter like this: (spec wise)
          KEMET
          FAHAV3100ZB000

Comment

Working...
          X