replace mosfet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace mosfet question

can i change AO4447A to AO4413, i would change it to 2nd dcin input mosfet to laptop,
    charger outputs 6.7a 20v, is that xtra marking esd protection between g and s, is it must have? i am trying to learn and be thankful if somebody can help me out
    Attached Files

Re: replace mosfet question

I'm not a MOSFET expert by any means. My education dates back to vacuum tubes to transistor transition era, mid 80's. However, I've played with them a few times. From my understanding, the ESD addition on G to S is to protect from voltages outside the normal range that the device would be exposed too. Example, someone walks across the carpet and then touches metal on the device and they get a good jolt from it and it passes through the laptop. I would think the extra protection wouldn't do anything until something happens outside the tolerance of the part and its rating. Otherwise, the part is very close as far as current and voltage. That said, I can't say it wouldn't be without some risk. It could possibly behave differently for some reason I don't see on the spec sheet.

Out of curiosity, why put in a different part? I did a quick search on ebay and found some of the original part available. The only thing I can think of, you have the part you want to put in but would have to wait for the original part it needs. If it were me, I might chance it but it's your laptop. If this is in a power supply for the laptop, a separate device for charging for example, I'd test it first. Have some sort of dummy load and see if it works as expected. That would make the risk to the laptop itself zero since it wouldn't be connected. If it's in the laptop itself, well, that is more risky.

What would I do? If it is a external power supply, I'd put the part in and use a dummy load to test it first. If possible, as close to full power as possible. If it is inside the laptop itself, I'd remove the hard drive then test if I was going to risk it. That way, if it does fail and damages the laptop, it wouldn't risk data loss. If it works fine and you trust it, put the hard drive back in and carry on. That's how I would do it to minimize risk to data.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps. If you do try it, post and let us know how it works. How you did it would be nice too.

Comment

Working...
    X