What for this SOP8 apparatus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What for this SOP8 apparatus?

I bought a SOP8 apparatus for CH341A but zero document. What is this part for and may I use it to read and write to 25 series spi flash bios?
    Attached Files

Re: What for this SOP8 apparatus?

This is an adapter for "clothespins".
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
      This is an adapter for "clothespins".
      Thank you but when do we use these? May I use it for laptop bios chip programming?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemer View Post
        Thank you but when do we use these? May I use it for laptop bios chip programming?
        Yes, but it is recomended to desolder chip first from pcb. You can try read chip onboard, and if fail just desolder it.
        This piece is used when you want connect soic-8 clip with programmer ziff socket, both side have pins that fit to. I connect this once and never disconnect from clip.
        Last edited by harp; 05-21-2023, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harp View Post
          Yes, but it is recomended to desolder chip first from pcb. You can try read chip onboard, and if fail just desolder it.
          This piece is used when you want connect soic-8 clip with programmer ziff socket, both side have pins that fit to. I connect this once and never disconnect from clip.
          I have 3 small pcb at the moment. One came out of the ch341 package and two from the sop8 clips package. It should have been specified what they were used for.

Desoldering and re-soldering the bios chip is risky for me. I only have a soldering iron. The clip, on the other hand, is constantly sliding off the chip. The latch design is a lousy idea.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemer View Post
            I have 3 small pcb at the moment. One came out of the ch341 package and two from the sop8 clips package. It should have been specified what they were used for.
            Not necessary, it is kind of logic.
            It is adapters for conection between either ziff and soic-8 clip, or ziff and bios chip soldered directly to adapter pcb.

Desoldering and re-soldering the bios chip is risky for me. I only have a soldering iron. The clip, on the other hand, is constantly sliding off the chip. The latch design is a lousy idea.
            Are you absolutely shure there you using your clip specificaly on soic-8 bios package, and not to some other, eg wson8-mlf8-dfn8-tdfn8-qfn8-dip8?
            Clip shoud fit only to specific soic8, sop8 package, but must be flat to pcb and straight. Plastics claw hold chip underneath, next to pcb board, sliding off is not posible happen if claw is not damaged or wrongly placed.

BTW, you can desoldered soic8 package from pcb using soldering iron, just make some pretinned thick wire formed to rectangular ring that meet to touch all chip legs, than fill all with solder and when melted lift up chip... just first try to some scrap pcb to get experiance.

And BTW2, when useing clip and adapters, wires etc, pay special attention to orientation of chip legs - pin#1 (marked with small dot) must be connected to specific place on programmer. On ch341a is a two different place for 24xx and 25xx chips.
            Last edited by harp; 05-22-2023, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Are you absolutely sure you're using your clip specifically in the soic-8 bios package and not in another package like wson8-mlf8-dfn8-tdfn8-qfn8-dip8?
              Yes, I am. There is a small pcb that is most common in youtube videos, as well as the above apparatus.

Plastics claw hold chip underneath, next to pcb board, sliding off is not posible happen if claw is not damaged or wrongly placed.
              Hm, if it's not possible, it means I couldn't do it. Ok, it's hard to see the contacts when latching. I try again.

BTW, you can desoldered soic8 package from pcb using soldering iron, just make some pretinned thick wire formed to rectangular ring that meet to touch all chip legs, than fill all with solder and when melted lift up chip... just first try to some scrap pcb to get experiance.
              I like it. I'll first find another card and try it on.

Again thank you for your time.

Comment

the problem with soic8 chips is they come in 2 widths, and the difference is enough to make those clips tricky to use on the wide version.

Comment

the problem with this soic8 clip is they come with too strong loaded spring. In mechanic point of view, I choose as light spring as possible, just to hold clip in place. Any spring can bent inter contact pin for good contact, and no bigger force can ensure better contact, only have stronger grip with package, and much more force necessery lead to gnaw off and to wear out plastics claw quickly...

https://dzrmo.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/chinese-soic-8-test-clips-for-in-circuit-programming-part-2/
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by harp; 05-25-2023, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    the problem with soic8 chips is they come in 2 widths, and the difference is enough to make those clips tricky to use on the wide version.
                    I guess I found out when it was too late. There was nothing written on the package and I don't know how I could have known the difference. I'm not sure if the part I have is wrong, but when I look at it through the lens, I see that the plastic surface has worn off. I'll ask where I bought it. Thank you very much.

Comment

the problem with this soic8 clip is they come with too strong loaded spring. In mechanic point of view, I choose as light spring as possible, just to hold clip in place. Any spring can bent inter contact pin for good contact, and no bigger force can ensure better contact, only have stronger grip with package, and much more force necessery lead to gnaw off and to wear out plastics claw quickly...
                      Thanks for the photos. I can see how the clip is supposed to hold the chip. On mine, retention spurs look worse than that. The piece in the photo looks great. But I didn't think to look it before use.

Your opinion on strong loaded spring seemed appropriate to me as well. The chip legs look a little squashed.

I suppose, would do it in the form of a frame instead of that clip. It's hard to describe but I'd seen an adapter plugged into the programmer. It was locking when pushed the chip in. It would be something like this but with a much more thin frame.

I also would add a led for each contact. Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but it would be nice.

I wish I knew these earlier. Thank you again.

Comment

And here it is!
                        How to save SOIC8 clip from wearing, when using on SOP-8W BIOS package...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAzVT1OKEA

If the clip was designed better (longer gap below legs - longer free space to stretch) this is not be necesary, and will be compatibile witc soic8 normal and wide package.
                        Attached Files

Comment

See example
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlwiAeVVgM

You can do that trick on what ever package find (with exposed legs) and you can use a thin wire also, wraped many time around and soaked with tin... principe is the same.
                          Or use piece of used soldering wick, it is flexible and thick together, even prepared with tin to use out the box...

Comment

And here it is!
                            How to save SOIC8 clip from wearing, when using on SOP-8W BIOS package...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAzVT1OKEA

If the clip was designed better (longer gap below legs - longer free space to stretch) this is not be necesary, and will be compatibile witc soic8 normal and wide package.
                            This video is perfect. Very helpful. That fishing line trick is also wonderful. Thank you. BTW, my SOIC8 clip spurs looking terrible

See example
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlwiAeVVgM

You can do that trick on what ever package find (with exposed legs) and you can use a thin wire also, wraped many time around and soaked with tin... principe is the same.
                            Or use piece of used soldering wick, it is flexible and thick together, even prepared with tin to use out the box...
                            This is another good one. However, I can not understand those subtitles. In fact, I tried to make the same thing with a 2.5mm dia wire but looking a bit oversize. Thanks again.

Comment

Thank you, I am glad to hear that
                              2.5mm is to big. I use 1.5mm for "rectangle O ring" or 1.0mm for "loop soldering iron tip" copper wire. You may do some other form, U, C, M, Z... specific to your case, that fit on particular space in pcb...
                              The spring is from hp inkjet printer.
                              I always try to present full idea on video independent of understanding some language. Just look to see point, and brain will do rest

Comment

OK, I already did it with a U shape (for bios chip). I will try it after find a scrap board.

I liked your idea, solution. I hope my 40W solder iron could be enough. Thank you dear harp.

Comment

you should really be lifting the chips

Comment

Working...
                                  X