Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VESTEL Main Board, LED TV. How to change the Boot Logo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VESTEL Main Board, LED TV. How to change the Boot Logo?

Hi,

Anyone know how?

Got 17MB55 from Bush TV - 48"
    Board has been fitted to Hitachi TV.

Work absolutely fine just the boot logo ...
    Is there any way to replace the Bush logo to Hitachi?
    In service menu got info:
    Boot logo name: MB55_BUSH_Splash_1920X1080_MB55.jpg

Something to do with USB Operations?
    How to download that file to the USB stick, edit and load to the board back?

usb_auto_update ?

Not sure.
    If you got any info I'll be very grateful.
    Thank you.
    Regards.

Re: VESTEL Main Board, LED TV. How to change the Boot Logo?

If it's a vestel, then the quickest way is as follows:

1) Put the set into Digital TV mode, and press menu.

2) Enter 4725 in rapid succession on the remote, if the set is a vestel, you should see the service menu.

3) at various places on the service menu screen you'll see the capital letters "MB" followed by 3 numbers, my 2yr old polaroid is MB110 and the Toshiba I got at Christmas is MB211

4) Make a note of the MB Number you find

5) Get an empty USB key chain formatted to Fat32 (It MUST BE EMPTY)

6) Create an empty text file on it with the following name:

DownloadBI.MBxxx

replace the xxx part with the number you found in the service menu

7) Turn the set off, insert the USB key chain, then turn it back on

8) Go back into the service menu using the 4725 code as you did above

9) Go down to the "USB Operations" option, and press the OK button on your remote

10) When the "Please Wait" message disappears and returns to the menu, press the power button and switch off the TV.

11) Remove the USB Key chain and return to your PC, on the key should now be a JPG image called "logo.jpg"

12) Edit the image as required using image editing software

13) Repeat steps 7 to 9 with ONLY the Logo.Jpg and DownloadBI files on the key chain, if all goes to plan the new logo should be uploaded to your TV replacing the old one.

Comment

Image link didn't work correctly for some reason, it should have looked like this:

If it fails again, the link to the page is here:
      https://imgur.com/a/w73tqIo
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:14 AM.

Comment

If it's a vestel, then the quickest way is as follows:

1) Put the set into Digital TV mode, and press menu.

2) Enter 4725 in rapid succession on the remote, if the set is a vestel, you should see the service menu.

3) at various places on the service menu screen you'll see the capital letters "MB" followed by 3 numbers, my 2yr old polaroid is MB110 and the Toshiba I got at Christmas is MB211

4) Make a note of the MB Number you find

5) Get an empty USB key chain formatted to Fat32 (It MUST BE EMPTY)

6) Create an empty text file on it with the following name:

DownloadBI.MBxxx

replace the xxx part with the number you found in the service menu

7) Turn the set off, insert the USB key chain, then turn it back on

8) Go back into the service menu using the 4725 code as you did above

9) Go down to the "USB Operations" option, and press the OK button on your remote

10) When the "Please Wait" message disappears and returns to the menu, press the power button and switch off the TV.

11) Remove the USB Key chain and return to your PC, on the key should now be a JPG image called "logo.jpg"

12) Edit the image as required using image editing software

13) Repeat steps 7 to 9 with ONLY the Logo.Jpg and DownloadBI files on the key chain, if all goes to plan the new logo should be uploaded to your TV replacing the old one.

Comment

Sounds great and easy enough
          I'll try that when get a time.
          You are my guru!
          Thank's a lot!
          Got just one question:
          I need to create the text file DownloadBI.MBxxx to download the logo.jpg file.
          Same file will upload the new logo to the main board?
          Maybe I need to create new text file to upload the logo to the main board, like UploadBI.MB... or something similar?
          That's what I'm not sure about.
          Thanks a lot!
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Question to chefau:

I've got also Hitachi 48" fitted with JVC main board ( 17MB211 )
            JVC boot logo (which I'll change later) and JVC Smart app (see attached picture)
            Is there any way to change that JVC logo on the smart apps screen?
            Thanks a lot.
            Regards.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nope, same file. Just make sure the ONLY files you have on the USB key are Logo.Jpg and the text file.
              Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:12 AM. Reason: removed full quote

Comment

Originally posted by jczarniak View Post
                Question to chefau:

I've got also Hitachi 48" fitted with JVC main board ( 17MB211 )
                JVC boot logo (which I'll change later) and JVC Smart app (see attached picture)
                Is there any way to change that JVC logo on the smart apps screen?
                Thanks a lot.
                Regards.
                Yes.... and No...

It depends on a few things.

Please know that what I'm about to tell you is the product of the previous 2 years worth of research, and while this certainly works for my Poloroid MB110, the same cannot be said for my Toshiba MB211

First let's get the NO part out the way....

"Is their an EASY way to change the logo on my smart screen" - and as you guessed it... NO

That is their is no "Download" commands that work on the Usb as thier is for the boot logo that change this..

NOW for the Yes bit.

Please do not try this, unless your comfortable with a number of different I.T. and software development skill sets, because you can easily completely bugger up your TV and make the smart portal stuff unusable.

On some models of TV there is a control port open to allow control of the device by a remote application, this application is NOT the same application you get on android to change channels, use the touch mouse etc, this is an application to remote control the device for things like Hotel Mode operation and/or Digital Signage.

The larger 40"+ Poloroid models sold by Asda in the UK nearly all seem to have the network port left open, the smaller models EG: like the 32" Toshiba I have do not.

To check you'll need a Linux based computer (Or if on Windows you'll need some kind of port scanning app)

From your linux computer, you'll need to use the "nmap" tool (You might need to install it) to scan the I.P. address of your TV.

For example:

You'll see that I've underlined one of the ports in red, port number 1986 to be exact, and the command I used to get this scan was

nmap -p 1-10000 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the network address of your TV, you should be able to see this in the network settings somewhere)

If port 1986 is open then your in luck, because you can do a HUGE number of modifications to your TV, if it's not... then there is still things you can do, but you cannot modify the contents of the TV directly.

If the port is open google for and download "Vestel Toolbox v1.1" written by "TommyData" in 2017, you MUST use version 1.1 or later as this is the only version that has the telnet/ftp enable tool built into it, earlier versions do not.

With the vestel toolbox, put the IP address of your TV into the IP box on the enable telnet part of the app, then click enable FTP and/or Enable Telnet.

Enable Telnet allows you to log into your TV's linux command line using a simple terminal client EG:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and once you have that command line you can use normal linux commands to change files, copy files etc etc... if you have a USB Key or Hard Drive plugged into your TV when you log in, you can use linux commands to copy files from your TV to the USB and back again.

If you enable FTP and then use a program such as "Filezilla" you can get a drag and drop file list, and copy the files to/from your TV directly to your PC and back again.

Some of the areas on the built in disk are read-only and to write files to them, you'll need to use the linux ubi tools to "remount the disk read/write", I don't have the instructions to hand for that one so you'll need to google it, something like "ubifs remount disk read write" should do it...

The files for the smart portal are in the folder "/vendor/html_applications/light_portal/vestel/" in there you'll find a html file, and css/js/images folders containing graphics and such like.

If you've made the internal disk writable, then you can download these files using either the linux command, or ftp methods, modify them as required (You will need to know how to program HTML web pages) then save them back to the TV and replace the old ones.

ONCE AGAIN, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH - IF YOU GET IT WRONG, OR MAKE A PROGRAMMING MISTAKE IN THE REPLACEMENT FILES, YOU WILL STOP YOUR SMART PORTAL FROM WORKING.

If you break it, then you'll need to go back, look at your files, fix them, then re-upload them again, and possibly keep doing that until you fix things.

Now... what happens if you don't have that port open?

Well, there is another part to this mystery.

Vestel, actually have an online server available at http://portaltv.tv/ AND, your TV actually loads it's smart portal from there IF it detects it has a live internet connection.

I only loads the one stored in the TV if it cannot get a connection to the internet, otherwise, it loads from the portaltv website.

Now... here's the interesting part.

The one stored in the TV is unbranded, the pure fact that your image above actually shows the JVC logo, tells me that your TV is loading yours from the internet.. how do I know this?

Every 5 minutes or so your TV sends data to portaltv.tv telling it what it's internet address and identifier is and specifically what model.

When you connect to the smart portal, the portaltv website then puts the appropriate logo for your TV brand (and the design) up on screen.

For my MB110 for example, I get a poloroid branded portal.

The more up to date sets, like my Toshiba MB211 all go to "http://orion.portaltv.tv" but instead of downloading the full portal, they just download some data, and combine that with a html portal built into them, which from what I know so far seems to be stored in a similar place.

Now, the interesting part is..... IF you know how to set up a DNS server for your network, you can register "orion.portaltv.tv" and "portaltv.tv" inside your network, and point them both to your own computers, with your own web applications on them.

I've done this on mine, and now BOTH of my TV's have the same user interface when I go into internet mode, a slide out red bar on the right with a scrolling list of all my linkable apps on, including Emby and Plex.

I'm not going to go into how I did all of this here, I've already typed up a novels worth, and you really need to know a lot of advanced stuff to make this work.

It's NOT an easy task, and as I've said already, get it wrong and you'll end up with a TV that you can... well only watch TV on :-)

Comment

Thanks a lot.
                  I'm really impressed.
                  Respect!

Comment

Originally posted by chefau View Post
                    Nope, same file. Just make sure the ONLY files you have on the USB key are Logo.Jpg and the text file.
                    Hi,

@chefau, I can successfully downloaded and edit "logo.txt", but then the logo is dowloaded again when I repeat steps from 7 to 9, overwriting the file in the USB drive instead of uploading it to the board.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by chefau View Post
                      Yes.... and No...

It depends on a few things.

Please know that what I'm about to tell you is the product of the previous 2 years worth of research, and while this certainly works for my Poloroid MB110, the same cannot be said for my Toshiba MB211

First let's get the NO part out the way....

"Is their an EASY way to change the logo on my smart screen" - and as you guessed it... NO

That is their is no "Download" commands that work on the Usb as thier is for the boot logo that change this..

NOW for the Yes bit.

Please do not try this, unless your comfortable with a number of different I.T. and software development skill sets, because you can easily completely bugger up your TV and make the smart portal stuff unusable.

On some models of TV there is a control port open to allow control of the device by a remote application, this application is NOT the same application you get on android to change channels, use the touch mouse etc, this is an application to remote control the device for things like Hotel Mode operation and/or Digital Signage.

The larger 40"+ Poloroid models sold by Asda in the UK nearly all seem to have the network port left open, the smaller models EG: like the 32" Toshiba I have do not.

To check you'll need a Linux based computer (Or if on Windows you'll need some kind of port scanning app)

From your linux computer, you'll need to use the "nmap" tool (You might need to install it) to scan the I.P. address of your TV.

For example:

You'll see that I've underlined one of the ports in red, port number 1986 to be exact, and the command I used to get this scan was

nmap -p 1-10000 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the network address of your TV, you should be able to see this in the network settings somewhere)

If port 1986 is open then your in luck, because you can do a HUGE number of modifications to your TV, if it's not... then there is still things you can do, but you cannot modify the contents of the TV directly.

If the port is open google for and download "Vestel Toolbox v1.1" written by "TommyData" in 2017, you MUST use version 1.1 or later as this is the only version that has the telnet/ftp enable tool built into it, earlier versions do not.

With the vestel toolbox, put the IP address of your TV into the IP box on the enable telnet part of the app, then click enable FTP and/or Enable Telnet.

Enable Telnet allows you to log into your TV's linux command line using a simple terminal client EG:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and once you have that command line you can use normal linux commands to change files, copy files etc etc... if you have a USB Key or Hard Drive plugged into your TV when you log in, you can use linux commands to copy files from your TV to the USB and back again.

If you enable FTP and then use a program such as "Filezilla" you can get a drag and drop file list, and copy the files to/from your TV directly to your PC and back again.

Some of the areas on the built in disk are read-only and to write files to them, you'll need to use the linux ubi tools to "remount the disk read/write", I don't have the instructions to hand for that one so you'll need to google it, something like "ubifs remount disk read write" should do it...

The files for the smart portal are in the folder "/vendor/html_applications/light_portal/vestel/" in there you'll find a html file, and css/js/images folders containing graphics and such like.

If you've made the internal disk writable, then you can download these files using either the linux command, or ftp methods, modify them as required (You will need to know how to program HTML web pages) then save them back to the TV and replace the old ones.

ONCE AGAIN, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH - IF YOU GET IT WRONG, OR MAKE A PROGRAMMING MISTAKE IN THE REPLACEMENT FILES, YOU WILL STOP YOUR SMART PORTAL FROM WORKING.

If you break it, then you'll need to go back, look at your files, fix them, then re-upload them again, and possibly keep doing that until you fix things.

Now... what happens if you don't have that port open?

Well, there is another part to this mystery.

Vestel, actually have an online server available at http://portaltv.tv/ AND, your TV actually loads it's smart portal from there IF it detects it has a live internet connection.

I only loads the one stored in the TV if it cannot get a connection to the internet, otherwise, it loads from the portaltv website.

Now... here's the interesting part.

The one stored in the TV is unbranded, the pure fact that your image above actually shows the JVC logo, tells me that your TV is loading yours from the internet.. how do I know this?

Every 5 minutes or so your TV sends data to portaltv.tv telling it what it's internet address and identifier is and specifically what model.

When you connect to the smart portal, the portaltv website then puts the appropriate logo for your TV brand (and the design) up on screen.

For my MB110 for example, I get a poloroid branded portal.

The more up to date sets, like my Toshiba MB211 all go to "http://orion.portaltv.tv" but instead of downloading the full portal, they just download some data, and combine that with a html portal built into them, which from what I know so far seems to be stored in a similar place.

Now, the interesting part is..... IF you know how to set up a DNS server for your network, you can register "orion.portaltv.tv" and "portaltv.tv" inside your network, and point them both to your own computers, with your own web applications on them.

I've done this on mine, and now BOTH of my TV's have the same user interface when I go into internet mode, a slide out red bar on the right with a scrolling list of all my linkable apps on, including Emby and Plex.

I'm not going to go into how I did all of this here, I've already typed up a novels worth, and you really need to know a lot of advanced stuff to make this work.

It's NOT an easy task, and as I've said already, get it wrong and you'll end up with a TV that you can... well only watch TV on :-)
                      Hi chefau ,

Could you post links to where you've described the process of setting your personal webportal ; I already have
                      Pi-Hole DNS in my network so redirecting portal.tv to a website hosted on my NAS is a hosts file entry away .
                      I would be especially interested in the Emby part but if that get the ball rolling who knows .
                      I have a JVC MB130 and thanks to you i now have telnet/FTP access to it however since the webportal wouldn't require to mess around to much with the original firmware and instead rely on the assets it pulls from the portal that would be clearly prefered .
                      10x !

Comment

Originally posted by jczarniak View Post
                        Sounds great and easy enough
                        I'll try that when get a time.
                        You are my guru!
                        Thank's a lot!
                        Got just one question:
                        I need to create the text file DownloadBI.MBxxx to download the logo.jpg file.
                        Same file will upload the new logo to the main board?
                        Maybe I need to create new text file to upload the logo to the main board, like UploadBI.MB... or something similar?
                        That's what I'm not sure about.
                        Thanks a lot!
                        Hello,

jczarniak, were you successful uploading a modified logo? I have tried to modify it many times as indicated by chefau, but the original logo is downloaded instead, overwriting the one I edited.

Thanks!

Comment

Nice to see somebody is still using my old little toolbox :-)

jrodzar:
                          Once you got your logo.jpg just delete DownloadBI.MBxxx on your USB key. This will enable the upload mode.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyData View Post
                            Nice to see somebody is still using my old little toolbox :-)

jrodzar:
                            Once you got your logo.jpg just delete DownloadBI.MBxxx on your USB key. This will enable the upload mode.
                            Hi!

TommyData, thank you for your help, but it's not my lucky day. I tried to modify my logo.txt, deleted DownloadBI.MB211, entered service menu, USB operarations and the boot logo remained unmodified (not overwritten on USB drive though). Any clue?

THANKS

Comment

@TommyData We try to add new features to the program you have prepared by trying. If you want to support, we won't say no. e.g. Alexa,Dolby Vision
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by hosbulduk; 05-16-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, the dictionary urgently needs an update ...

I can help you there or share the sources etc. if I still find them
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:10 AM.

Comment

I look forward to your answer if you would help net ..
                                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I'm about to start with Low German.

LG Thomas
                                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-08-2020, 03:12 AM. Reason: google translate

Comment

Comment

Ok folks, first off apologies for not coming back and answering in here. :-) life and busyness and stuff got in the way.

Funny enough, my polaroid MB110 seems to have had a fit and borked it's flash, and I ended up here after searching for the instructions to re-flash it.

Gimme a mo to catch up and I'll answer the q's that where waiting for me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X