Alienware 17 r4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alienware 17 r4

K.. not sure what to do then.. the file i posted as the bios dump is exactly what the flash program pulled from the chip which i did before i started tryign to fix it.. and the bios files i have downloaded like from alisaler are 1mb also.. Not arguing, just not sure what to do next.

Comment

No bro , the bios bin file is 16 mega , 1 mega is for EC

Comment

k.. will try to figure it out.. one thing i don't get is the chip itself when i google it is only 8meg.. how can it hold 16mb of info? unless people pointed me to the wrong chip but i got a pic from alisaler and a person on this forum also..

Comment

Post the original bios_img.rcv file .The 25Q80DVSIG is 8 megabits,not megabytes as @lapfix pointed out. If you made a backup of that chip flash it back. The bios you linked to at post #1 is 16MB megabytes, the chip to flash it to is marked on top with 25Q128 (128 chip,divide by 8 = 16MB) .The CH341A programmer is very picky with 128 chips, use AsProgrammer software instead https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=10 .Another little quirk with the original software for the CH341A is filenames, it seems to bork if the filename has characters in that the software doesnt like,such as underscores or more than 1 dot.
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-06-2020, 02:46 PM.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thank you much. .and sorry for all the newb crap.. just a bit panicky on this one Here is the original recovery file..
            And yeah.. bits/bytes.. grr
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb9o0ws9p5...s_cur.rcv?dl=0

Thanks again guys..

Comment

Try this bios .Program it to the 25Q128 chip.
              Attached Files
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

SMD.. you are a hero.. so.. before i started all this i did research (although i'm sure it doesn't seem like it) and i asked on this forum and emailed alisaler and both times was pointed to the wrong chip. Found the 128 and flashed it and i am posting again but shuts off when it tries to read a HD to boot.. going to try some other flashes now that i know where the issue was. Thanks a ton!

P.S. i could google.. but lazy.. what is ME CLEAN?

Comment

Go into bios setup, disable secure boot, enable CSM , then see if it boots up. The bios version is quite old,you can update it to a later version.
                  The ME means Management Engine.With a modern intel PC there is a sort of co-processor inside the PCH ,when the laptop is first booted up the ME firmware in the bios and ME in the PCH are married together.The firmware is then initialised.If the bios is flashed to another laptop,even the xact same model,it may not boot,or boot up slowly,or shut down after exactly 30 minutes.The ME firmware needs cleaning if its come from another laptop,or if its corrupt. Theres an ME cleaning guide,if you want to read the gory detail - https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...lization/31277
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 07:15 AM. Reason: edited winraid link

Comment

Ah.. yeah i know what ME is, just didn't know how it applied to these bios files is all Thank you..

So the weird issue i'm having is if i hit F12 can choose the boot drive it will boot.. if i don't it shows the post screen and then turns off, waits a sec and turns back on. The bios is set to boot from the nvme first and it's a fresh setup of windows using uefi not csm..

BTW.. i looked but didn't see.. is there a way to donate to this forum? This is a customers laptop and he will be happy even if he has to f12 every boot. would like to get that fixed though

I even tried installing the newest dell bios for this laptop, which went in fine this time.. but still same issue.

One thing i noticed is alisaler has 5 difference flashes up for download for different chips (including the wrong one i was trying to flash) should i bother with those 25q80 chips or just focus on the 128?

Either way.. at least it's not 100% dead now thanks a ton!

Comment

The bios i posted is different to the alisaler version. The one i posted has consumer ME firmware and boot guard 5 ,the ali one has 5MB corporate FW for some reason ,and boot guard profile set to 0. As youve flashed the latest bios everything should be ok, the EC should have been flashed. Anyway its working !
                      Can`t really help you with the boot issue apart from pointing to a dell forum post.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alien...6087992/page/2

Comment

Thanks again Flea, you have been more than helpful One last newb question then i will stop And i'm pretty sure i already know this.. but having the wrong service tag in the new bios shouldn't matter correct? Like it won't see that service tag and enable or disable certain thing? OR.. when putting the new one that matches the real service tag of this laptop, if it sees the wrong service tag in the bios it will still overwrite it all as normal?

I'm 99% sure it's a full write no matter what, just want to make sure is all..

Thank you 1000X!

Comment

Having the wrong service tag doesn`t matter as long as its for the right model laptop, and its out of warranty anyway. You can manually check for drivers at dell using the old service tag or the one in the bios. The service tag can be edited with a hex editor. Try this new bios with the old service tag .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Laptop is back together.. and being an alienware a pain to take apart Customer was like F12 and hit enter? No problem at all.. guy is cool as hell..

Thank you a TON for the help. kinda wanna flash that one just to see... maybe..

Comment

save the bios until next time
                              Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-07-2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Yup... BTW.. great forum I would actually like to learn how to extract bins from bios and stuff.. but more things waiting to get done.. this job has stressed me more than anything in years having a good day now though!

Comment

Re: Dell Alienware M17 R4 Bios Help LA-D751P

: skupina:
                                  Last edited by mibo012; 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

bap10 la-d751p rev 1.0 bios OK
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by audiomodder View Post
                                      Whats your issue with the mobo? I fixed one of these before....mint condition but GPU card temp sensor was fried. I found a workaround. Is it black screen?
                                      Im having this exact issue right now with beep code 3,2,1 and 2 red, 7 blue

Comment

alienware 15 r4 bap10 la-d751p rev 1 bin

I have an ALIENWARE with a problem of two red lights and one blue I don't know if the problem is in the bios I attach my files I hope you can help me
                                        also the video of the problem
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: alienware 15 r4 bap10 la-d751p rev 1 bin

Try this...
                                          Attached Files
                                          I don't provide help for people using CH341A and a clip.

Comment

Working...
                                          X