PS3 fat 2nd gen BlueRay / DVD drive problem CECHK01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 fat 2nd gen BlueRay / DVD drive problem CECHK01

Well, I've got a strange DVD problem happening with my own 2nd gen PS3 fat CECHK01. First off the BlueRay / DVD drive reads BlueRay movies and games just fine. However for it to play a DVD is a chore! After taking that DVD in and out the drive a few times, the DVD will finally play.
    So everyone is going to say, bad DVD laser. I thought so too. So I bought a new KEM-410ACA drive from Amazon. Swapped the daughter board to the new drive and now it will only read BlueRay's (doesn't matter if it is a game or movie). If I put a DVD in, the disc will spin up and down a few times and that's about it. So i've tried ejecting and reinserting a DVD multiple times and no go.
    After that I went and did a factory reset. Same thing. Then I went and swapped my old drive back in and I've got my old symptom of playing DVD's. Grrr. The laser on the new drive does turn on. So WTF? I guess I'll try a new laser next and see what that does. Has anyone seen the caps on the backside of the daughter board that goes on the the drive go bad?
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-25-2017, 05:36 PM.

Re: PS3 fat 2nd gen BlueRay / DVD drive problem CECHK01

try looking at the puck or whatever clamps the disk . unless you changed that already

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      try looking at the puck or whatever clamps the disk . unless you changed that already
      Well, then it shouldn't read any disk, shouldn't it?

Comment

For now I ordered another laser. Have to wait for it to come in.

Comment

maybe the drive to the dvd laser is bad on the actual control pcb

Comment

Could be... I'll play around again with that thing once I've got the new laser. I may even swap the caps on that board.

Comment

That's strange, I get the symptoms the other way around with issues using bluray. One strange way to fix the issue is to test using a fresh OS install on another hard drive.

Comment

I had the same problem with my old PS3 but mine would not work with DVDs and BlueRay unless i tried 20 or 30 times. I was never able to find a fix and the PS3 was on it's last legs so i just had to replace the whole unit in the end.
                I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

So here comes the fix for mine:
                  I must have bought a bad replacement drive from Amazon. I complained to the vendor and he promptly send out another laser to put in. Installed the new laser and all is fine as kind now and works like new!
                  Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-31-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

could have been fucked in the post.
                    ps3 lasers are known for dying if the console falls over from the vertical position.
                    maybe it causes the optics to move!

dont bin your old one - there are sites showing how to make a blue laser pointer & other cool stuff!

Comment

I don't know, the seller did state, that he had gotten a batch with bad lasers here and there. No, I wouldn't throw that old laser assy out just yet. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X