Samsung UA50F6400AMXXY help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UA50F6400AMXXY help needed

I noticed there was a similar situation spoken about on this thread, but as it's a different series and year make of TV, I thought it was worth posting this as an original thread to err on the side of caution.

I own a UA50F6400 up at my parent's place and I've never been happy with it since the firmware update that changed the OS over. I was finding that not only was Youtube playback starting to badly lag, despite being within 1m of a wireless modem/router, supplying the house with a fibre to the property broadband connection and only the TV being affected by it. On top of that, as with all TVs that were pseudo bricked by the update to Turian, the smart TV functionality was constantly giving me an error message that it was updating for a minute after I turned it on.

I was hoping to roll it back to a previous firmware option, when I came across the ability to access the Service Menu by pressing Info+Menu+Mute+Power.

When I noticed a diagnostic option, I ran it, but after several minutes, when it was hanging on 0%, I decided to turn off the power in an effort to give it a soft reset. Being a simple diagnostic, I wasn't expecting it to actually affect system settings.

However when I turned it back on, the screen was flipped on but the x and y axis (both upside down and a mirror image of what it should be) and the following error message was displayed in a window:

Please go into service mode and setup below
    options.
    -Type,Local Set, Front Colour Option
    Looking at the screen upside down and reading what is essentially the mirror image of the screen in the service menu, I can see that "Type" (set to "NONE"), "Local Set"(set to "NONE"), "SW Model" (set to "UF6400") and "BOM Model" (set to "6400") are all greyed out.

I can access "Front Colour Option", through "MRT Option", and my options, in reverse order, are:
    • U-S-BK
    • U-CF-B82-75
    • U-CF-B80-65
    • U-CF-B80-60
    • U-T-CL-V7560
    • U-TC-V7160
    • U-TC-V71
    • U-T-CL-M61-65
    • UHD-85
    • U-CF-B85
    • U-CF-B80-75
    • N/A
    • U-CF-B80
    • U-T-CL-B75
    • U-T-CL-V75
    • U-T-CL-M71
    • U-T-CL-M68
    • U-T-CL-M67
    • U-T-CL-M65
    • U-T-WG-M64
    • U-T-CL-M64
    • U-T-CG-M64
    • U-T-WG-M63
    • U-T-CL-M61
    • U-S-C-5K
    • P-W-D-85
    • P-W-D-55
    • P-W-D-49
    • P-W-D-40

(ADDENDUM: I tried a factory reset in the hopes that the data and callibration settings might be buried in an EPROM that might write to any EEPROMs on the board, but I didn't have any joy with it.)

Firstly, can anyone guide me through the correct settings for these options and whether there's a sub-menu I'm missing, that will allow me to access the settings for "Type" and "Local Set"? Also will this solve the issue of the picture inverting on both the x-and y-axis?

Secondly, does anyone know how to roll back the firmware to the version prior to when the O/S update took place?

Also I'm heading back interstate tomorrow and I'm not sure when I'll be visiting my parents again, so I might be a while getting back to this, depending on how quickly people are able to respond and help out. Apologies in advance if that results in some degree of necromancing this thread, as I work through this over time.
    Last edited by bowspearer; 04-28-2021, 11:26 PM. Reason: Adding additional info

Re: Samsung UA50F6400AMXXY help needed

See if that is the one you want, looks like it's from 2016, some tvs just have crappy wifi, if only one meter from router I would just hard wire it with ethernet cable: https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/m...A50F6400AMXRD/

Comment

Looks like people have been having problems with this tv from the start: https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...ua50f6400am-50

Comment

I appreciate the responses, however they've addressed the background of the issue, not the issue itself. The issue itself is described in paragraphs 3-5.

Comment

In service menu, go to Advanced and press the (0) button four times to see the "Picture" menu
          If you don't have the Factory remote control, you can't control some menus (Expert, Advanced menu)

There does seem to be a HV Flip option in the factory menu "Option", options are HV Flip / H Flip /OFF
          Last edited by R_J; 04-29-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

There you go, so you might need a service remote, can try a factory reset. Saw your post on sammygo dated back in 2019, it's just a flipped screen, do the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              In service menu, go to Advanced and press the (0) button four times to see the "Picture" menu
              If you don't have the Factory remote control, you can't control some menus (Expert, Advanced menu)

There does seem to be a HV Flip option in the factory menu "Option", options are HV Flip / H Flip /OFF
              Thanks for the assist. I'm away from the unit at the moment, as I'm back interstate, but I think I was able to access the advanced menu. I wasn't looking for a v/h flip option because tbh, I wondered, with the request for inserting settings combined with the screen flip, if the screen orientation was tied to the settings - as in some TVs for some reason or another, might use different screen orientations. Good to know in this case that correlation and causation are different.

When you say factory remote, do you mean the remote that came with the TV or a special remote that service centres have access to? If it's the later, what's the best way to source them?

Also, I already tried a factory reset and it did nothing.

One other thing, as your initial response to me, appears to have disappeared.

The post, for the sake of full documentation in the thread, read as follows:

Can you set the TYPE to 50RA1AF0S, LOCAL SET to EU?
              PANEL could be:
              Vendor AUO
              Code BN07-1279A
              Spec. - (blank)
              Unfortunately "Type" and "Local Set" are greyed out and I can't access them
              from the root Option menu. Is there another submenu I can access it from?

Alternately, does it mean that I need to either replace or reprogram an EEPROM, going by that similar thread where there was a similar issue, which I referenced in the OP?

Thanks so much for this; you've been a massive help. As things stand, you've basically provided me with 75% of the info I need to fix this and that 25% appears to be procedural and I imagine I'll have the other info I need in short order. I'm not going to be able to take a crack at the TV again for another 1-2 months, but I'm hoping to have as much of this figured out as I can, so I can fix this up on the next visit to my parents.

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              There you go, so you might need a service remote, can try a factory reset. Saw your post on sammygo dated back in 2019, it's just a flipped screen, do the suggestions.
              Yeah, unfortunately I never got any response on that thread, or if I did, they've never shown up for me. Really glad to be getting feedback that's showing up for me to see here and now.
              Last edited by bowspearer; 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM. Reason: condensing responses to multiple people

Comment

It's seems kind of strange that the factory reset didn't fix it, might try ebay for a service remote, they're usually pretty inexpensive.

Comment

This might work: in service menu, options>mrt options>hv flip-change setting, maybe try off, then turn off tv for setting to take effect. If there's no such option another that may work is: options>type, change it to the one that's your model code.
                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-30-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

There is a factory service remote (TM930) and it has a "Factory" button to access some of the sub menu's There is also a apk file to put on a phone so you can use it as the remote.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by R_J; 04-30-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

If there's no such option another that may work is: options>type, change it to the one that's your model code.
                      I never said other options weren't available; I said that "Type", "Local Set", "SW Model" and "BOM Model" are all greyed out, meaning I can't access them to find out what options are there, much less change them.

There is a factory service remote (TM930) and it has a "Factory" button to access some of the sub menu's There is also a apk file to put on a phone so you can use it as the remote.
                      Cheers for that. Is the APK file pretty easy to track down or is it going to be a fun hunt on my part?

Also, from your recollection, is access to the "Type", "Local Set", "SW Model" and "BOM Model" options only allowed, with the use of a factory remote?

Also, as I can access it and did find the MRT Option submenu to do it, what, out of the options I listed in the OP, should "Front Colour Option" be set to?

Comment

"I never said other options weren't available; I said that "Type", "Local Set", "SW Model" and "BOM Model" are all greyed out, meaning I can't access them to find out what options are there, much less change them" This is a simple fix...You have been given ALL that you need to fix it, IF it's beyond your comprehension take it in and give a repair man a few bucks. What else do you expect...a house call? We don't do that. I know your an aussie and all BUT I don't care for your attitude, DONE
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-01-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

"I never said other options weren't available; I said that "Type", "Local Set", "SW Model" and "BOM Model" are all greyed out, meaning I can't access them to find out what options are there, much less change them" This is a simple fix...You have been given ALL that you need to fix it, IF it's beyond your comprehension take it in and give a repair man a few bucks. What else do you expect...a house call? We don't do that. I know your an aussie and all BUT I don't care for your attitude, DONE
                          Kindly walk away from this thread, as unlike R_J, who has been incredibly helpful, you have done nothing but hijack this thread and fill it with unhelpful posts, which read like your sole interest in participation is inflating your post count. Your behaviour here has been nothing but condescending, unhelpful and as of this last comment, abusive and racist. I've tried being civil and tolerant of it, but it's now absolutely becoming a nuisance. If it continues here, I'll be reporting you and asking a moderator to intervene.

To begin with you have repeatedly demonstrated a failure to properly read what has been said entered into this thread with the comments:

See if that is the one you want, looks like it's from 2016, some tvs just have crappy wifi, if only one meter from router I would just hard wire it with ethernet cable: https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/m...A50F6400AMXRD/
                          and

Looks like people have been having problems with this tv from the start: https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...ua50f6400am-50
                          This had nothing to do with the problem at hand. You were commenting on background information and had you properly read it, you would have discovered that the issues were the OS upgrade to Turian by Samsung and in the process of being in the Service Menu, the TV crashing, flipping the V and H axes and losing 3 data fields which it asks to be filled upon starting up the TV.

Then after R_J specifically addressed the V/H Axis part of the problem with the set and that some functions can only be accessed with a service remote, but missing data field issue was unresolved, you chime in with:

Not only did this add nothing to the discussion, but it failed to recognise that there was more involved here than a mere flipped screen. Meanwhile the "do the suggestions" comment was utterly unnecessary and condescending.

You've then added this:

It's seems kind of strange that the factory reset didn't fix it, might try ebay for a service remote, they're usually pretty inexpensive.
                          Again, R_J and I were already discussing the service remote and this added nothing of value to the discussion.

You've further added:

This might work: in service menu, options>mrt options>hv flip-change setting, maybe try off, then turn off tv for setting to take effect. If there's no such option another that may work is: options>type, change it to the one that's your model code.
                          Firstly, this had already essentially been covered, as from memory (currently away from the TV and it's been a few days since I looked at it), the Advanced menu is in the MRT submenu.

As for the "Type" setting, as I specifically said in the OP:

Originally posted by bowspearer View Post
                          Looking at the screen upside down and reading what is essentially the mirror image of the screen in the service menu, I can see that "Type" (set to "NONE"), "Local Set"(set to "NONE"), "SW Model" (set to "UF6400") and "BOM Model" (set to "6400") are all greyed out.
                          In other words, I'd said from the outset that the options were inaccessible, meaning that I have no idea at present, what options are still there and may or may not be set to; you've responding as if there are no options available - a completely different problem to the one that is there. You've half read what was said, made assumptions from it and then offered completely unhelpful advice. Then when it's pointed out to you, you resort to this:

This is a simple fix...You have been given ALL that you need to fix it,
                          I agree it seems pretty simple (although part of it regarding accessing the settings could prove less than straightforward, if the reason they're greyed out turns out to be a damaged EEPROM), but no, I haven't been given all the information I need to fix it.

The information I need to fix the V/H flip issue is there and the actual information I need to set "Type" and "Local Set" to are there, but I have yet to find out whether the reason they're presently greyed out is because I need to use a Service Remote to gain access to them, need to access the settings from a hidden submenu to change them, or if the EEPROM is damaged or needs replacing. Also I still have yet to find out what "Color Front Option", which I can access, should be set to.

So no, I haven't been given all the information needed to fix it. Is 75% of it there? Absolutely, but 75%=/=100%.

IF it's beyond your comprehension take it in and give a repair man a few bucks.
                          Who said it's beyond my comprehension? As it happens, I hold a Diploma in Telecommunication Technology and an Advanced Diploma in Electrical Technology, which I obtained from TAFE NSW (trade level engineering qualifications as my teachers described them). Maybe you should stop making condescending assumptions about people.

What else do you expect...a house call? We don't do that.
                          Again, who said I expected a house call and how does finding out the dedicated (as opposed to general) information I need to fix this myself, consistitute expecting someone to go to my parents' place and fix it for me.

As I said, R_J had been incredibly helpful and given me a great deal of useful information, including showing me that the "Type" and "Local Set" options weren't loading a specific hardware configuration into the firmware which controlled the screen orientation. They've shown me that I'm going to need to track down a Service remote to access some menus, which seem to be plentiful on Ebay from what I can see.

The only outstanding questions are what the "Colour Front Option" should be set to, and whether the reason I can't change the "Type" and Local Set" options are because access is restricted to having a service remote or because I need to desolder and replace/reprogram an EEPROM. How does obtaining those last couple of pieces of information, even remotely equate to expecting someone to come to my parents' house and fix the TV for me?

I know your an aussie and all
                          How does bringing racism into this thread, help anyone here or do anything other than detract from it.

BUT I don't care for your attitude, DONE
                          Again, this type of comment brings nothing of value to the thread. Kindly walk away from it so that your hijacking doesn't clutter this thread and obscure helpful posts from others who might have the same problem down the track.

Or do I have to bring a mod or an admin into it to intervene?

Comment

This is the only manual I have that seems close, maybe it will help in some way, It is for Chassis U85a and covers these models:

UE32F6400AW
                            UE40F6400AW
                            UE46F6400AW
                            UE55F6400AW
                            UE50F6400AW
                            UE65F6400AW
                            UE75F6400AW
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is the only manual I have that seems close, maybe it will help in some way, It is for Chassis U85a and covers these models:

UE32F6400AW
                              UE40F6400AW
                              UE46F6400AW
                              UE55F6400AW
                              UE50F6400AW
                              UE65F6400AW
                              UE75F6400AW
                              Thanks again R_J; your help here has been invaluable.

In your experience as a technician, if someone doesn't have a service remote and is simply accessing the Service Menu via Info+Menu+Mute+Power, would "Type", "Local Set", "SW Model" and "BOM Model" all be greyed out due to access being restricted, because a service remote isn't being used, or would it be due to a faulty EEPROM, where those locations couldn't be written to. The fact that "SW Model" and "BOM Model" still have their settings intact, has me suspecting it's the former, but I know that these things can be less than straightforward.

Just wondering if I might need to track down a cheap EEPROM writer. I know from the thread I referenced initially in this thread, that the 24C256 is the culprit if that's the case, and that from what I've read, if the chip is damaged, I can replace it with a 24LC256, which costs around $6AUD locally and which has equivalent specs in most areas, while having a greater voltage range, which includes the voltage range of the 24c256.

Comment

It is likely greyed out to prevent customers from changing the data. I rarely need to go into the service menu. These settings as a rule never need to be changed. Changing certain things in the service menu can lead to a blank screen and then there is no way to go in and change the data.
                                I have not had to change anything in the service menu on these models so I can't really give you any advice.

Comment

It is likely greyed out to prevent customers from changing the data. I rarely need to go into the service menu. These settings as a rule never need to be changed. Changing certain things in the service menu can lead to a blank screen and then there is no way to go in and change the data.
                                  I have not had to change anything in the service menu on these models so I can't really give you any advice.
                                  I was wondering if that might be the case. From what I read in the service manual, the "Type" setting needs to be set every single time the main board is changed, so my guess it that it probably is protected, which is positive. I'll track down a service remote before my next trip up and I should be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

That just leaves one thing. I can access the Front Color Option setting, but I'm not sure what it should be set to (it shows the setting as blank), the Service Manual didn't make a recommendation and the error message wants an option to be set.

Do you know what the "Front Colour Option" controls exactly and which of those options I listed in the OP, I should set it to?

Comment

Pm sent, if you need a DETAILED step by step tutorial on how to read a pm just let me know.

Comment

I ordered a service remote from O/S weeks ago but thanks to the current global situation, it'll be here next week, right after I head back home again LOL. Any chance you have a link to the APK file handy? I checked the Google Play store but it doesn't seem to be publicly available. I also went into the MRT Option submenu and the HV Flip option, along with half of the other functions in that submenu, that should be there according to the service manual, are hidden. Looks like I'm not getting at amything I need to without the press of a factory button.

Comment

This may be the one you are looking for.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                                        X