ASUS TUF Z270 Mk 2 beeps with no ram but will not boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS TUF Z270 Mk 2 beeps with no ram but will not boot

Sorry, for some reason or another, I cannot upload attachments ATM. No idea why. Tried several times, but without success...

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
      Sorry, for some reason or another, I cannot upload attachments ATM. No idea why. Tried several times, but without success...
      Gave it another try this morning, uploading the attachment succeeded this time. Hope it helps in fixing your mainboard.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks re-atari

I checked out that list of POST codes, the only reference I spotted to AO is 'IDE initialisation' is starting

I find it very odd that there is no user manual for the TL460 considering how popular they seem to be

I'm glad you enjoyed the video #067, as you probably noticed I was very much in tongue-in-cheek mode when I made that one! Yeah I ordered 10 of the KA7500 from Aliexpress for less that €1.50 including postage. Thank you for your support and subscription
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
          I find it very odd that there is no user manual for the TL460 considering how popular they seem to be
          Yes, it's a real nuisance. I guess nobody wants to invest their good time and effort in writing a user manual, just to see Chinese sellers copying and supplying it with their knockoff POST cards.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video #067, as you probably noticed I was very much in tongue-in-cheek mode when I made that one! Yeah I ordered 10 of the KA7500 from Aliexpress for less that €1.50 including postage.
          I'm always a bit hesitant to ordering components from AliExpress.
          The first order I ever placed there (about 10 years ago), was with what afterwards turned out to be a scammer's shop. The items were never delivered, the seller time and again stated there was a delay in shipping. In fact, they were never shipped at all! AliExpress did literally nothing to get me a refund. The order was a relatively small value (€ 25), but still.
          And besides that, you never know what you end up receiving. The items might be fake, knockoff, relabelled of just plain defective (pulled or desoldered). This seems especially the case with rare and therefore sought after (read: valuable) items.
          I usually order components with Farnell, maybe a bit more costly but shipping is fast and the components are guaranteed genuine.

Thank you for your support and subscription
          Don't mention it, I find your YT tutorials both entertaining and informative, and therefore well worth supporting!
          I've also subscribed to Graham Lord's YT channel (AdamantIT). He has uploaded a lot of videos under the tags 'Let's Build Computers' and 'Let's Fix Computers'. He does a lot of component level repair work and explains how and why to go about with these. You may already have heared of him. If not, highly recommended to check his YT channel out!
          Last edited by re-atari; 06-14-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Hi
            Yeah I have seen AdamantIT channel, I think I subbed to that one too

Regards Aliexpress I must be really lucky - I've used them for years and never had a parcel not arrive. Some take a while but they always get here

About the closest things to 'fake' I have found have been some PowerFETS, especially audio amplifier output FETs where the part number is correct but the Source and Drain are swapped around. I have had this problem a couple of times (once with Ali and once with Ebay) and it was obvious what the problem was when I used a semiconductor analyzer. On both occasions I managed to solder them so the Drain and Source were correctly oriented and then the device worked. I always check through hole Powerfets now, just to make sure the ones I bought match the datasheet pinout.

Having said that I don't buy 'rare' parts. Regards Farnell I am sure that the postage would take a long time to arrive here. The only time I know that parcels have not turned up at all have been with Amazon which has happened several times.

The other problem I have particularly with ebay is sellers cancelling my order and refusing to ship. OK they do refund me, but it happens often, I would say around 25% of the time, and it is really annoying. I never ever had that problem with Aliexpress or Alibaba.
            Last edited by dicky96; 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM.
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

See if you can find a bios chip for the TPU chip firmware. It will be 512kb ,the fw will be 64KB. There might be a header somewhere or some pads that you can solder to if its in an awkward place to desolder. The TPU chip is near the middle PCI-Ex slot
              Attached Files
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi SMD Flea
                Thanks for the suggestion. This is new to me. I did a google search and found some more about TPU as I had not come across this before

In particular I found this
                https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/so...are-guid/32418

Which seems to relate closely to what you are suggesting I try

Particularly this post:
                found the TPU firmware module. Thanks @Mov AX, 0xDEAD for tips.
                GUID for tested ASUS boards is: 38715E0A_ECD3_4776_8AC4_7D93510A7468 #edit: (tested-board="ASUS Z170-PRO")

_What and why, possibly how:_
                What is TPU unit?
                Q1) Almost all Z*70 ASUS boards have this. The TPU module. It is supposed to enable auto-overclocking etc. More info on asus web or forums. (that to be said based on asus marketing of this chip)
                ---
                What i did?
                Q2) I tried flashing bios with version suggested to enable BCLK overclocking. I did this by flashing the bios memory chip directly. Booted and short notification of "bios upgrade" showed on my screen, after that the board shutdown. I could not get it boot again, not even to light up any led on board etc.
                ---
                Why bios re-flash "back" to original version does not work?
                Q3) IMPORTANT! TPU module starts even before the bios starts loading. Is is enabled in stand-by mode - even before user presses the power button. .

Without TPU working correctly (or at least partially correct) the board does not start. It has some conections to power enable and it holds the whole board in "reset" state. Also it ties to the LPC bus and chipset boot sequence. Bios reflash or rollback does not help the situation because this bios does not even start loading to PCH so it can not re-flash this chip back.
                ---
                How did i find GUID and flashed the TPU firmware back to original version?
                Q4) The MX25L512E memory in this case is routed directly on board. I connected my digital analyzer and reverse-engineered the pinout on board. I read the memory and used this data to find original raw data in bios flash under mentioned GUID. Using the same GUID i found the TPU FW in old bios for this board.

De-soldered, programmed and re-soldered the memory to board. (While soldered on board the write-protect is brute-forced being tied to power-lane.)
                After i flashed correct version of TPU-FW to the MX25L512E and soldered it back with old bios being in the bios-flash memory, the board STARTS NORMALY.

Conclusion:
                A1) TPU FW has a lot to say in board boot and power-on sequence.
                A2) Flashing wrong bios (eg. ASUS z170-pro gaming, instead of ASUS z170-pro ) can and most likely will result in bricked board.
                A3) Board can be resurected from this, but it requires re/de soldering the TPU FW memory. Also, TPU-FW GUID might differ between boards production generations.

------------------------

But it is a little over my head, in particular the highlighted section Q4 I am not quite 100% sure what this guy is trying to tell me. It appears he is saying a copy of the TPU FW is also in the BIOS contents?

I previously reflashed the BIOS using my eprom programmer to the latest revision but I would have saved the original bin file first as well. I looked up GUID as I didn't know what that was either and it seems to be a key number specific to the model of motherboard?

As I try to understand it now, part of the BIOS bin file contains the TPU FW (64Kb) and I need to extract this 64Kb from the BIOS bin file and write it to the TPU eprom?

Or do I not understand it properly?

Googling for 'TUF Z270 TPU FW' file and similar does not find anything

I think I need a more detailed explanation then I could probably do this

Cheers
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 07:56 AM. Reason: edited winraid link
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Corrupt TPU firmware is a long shot,but as you`re stalled with this board its worth a go flashing it,and besides its all a learning experience .Find the chip first and post the backup
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

@smdflea
                    Yes exactly it's a learning experience and 100% I'm up for it.

I'm moving house at the moment so it may take a couple days, but I will get get back here once I read the eprom data
                    Follow me on YouTube
                    ------------------
                    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Interestingly, my board does not seem to have a TPU - at least not where it should be located. All I can see here is hat looks like a SOT23 transistor and a couple of resistor networks

I can see an 8 pin chip roughly in the area of the chip marked TUF on the above post, that is a 2A LDO according to the datasheet

There is an 8pin chip the other side of PCIEX16_2 but that is the BIOS chip I already tried programming 25Q128F

The only other IC I see in this area of the board is a Nuvoton 3949S next to CLTRTC pin headr but that could be a Fan Controller (I struggled to find an exact datasheet)

There is nothing on the other side of the board either
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dicky96; 06-23-2021, 05:06 AM. Reason: forgot pics
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

The TPU is there in the picture at post #26 ,damn asus lied

Comment

Interestingly, my board does not seem to have a TPU - at least not where it should be located. All I can see here is hat looks like a SOT23 transistor and a couple of resistor networks

I can see an 8 pin chip roughly in the area of the chip marked TUF on the above post, that is a 2A LDO according to the datasheet

There is an 8pin chip the other side of PCIEX16_2 but that is the BIOS chip I already tried programming 25Q128F

The only other IC I see in this area of the board is a Nuvoton 3949S next to CLTRTC pin headr but that could be a Fan Controller (I struggled to find an exact datasheet)

There is nothing on the other side of the board either
                          very exciting, you are on the verge of a breakthrough with this, im quite curious about this so called TPU. Seems like the FW for these might not be as openly available as BIOS files from the manufacturer.

Keep us updated!
                          Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                            The TPU is there in the picture at post #26 ,damn asus lied
                            If it is true that all Zx70 motherboards have a TPU then it must be on the board somewhere - but it ain't where the picture in post #26 says it is

I'll make a note of every IC on the motherboard - it must be there somewhere i guess
                            Follow me on YouTube
                            ------------------
                            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

OK I think I may have found the TPU on my Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2

25LQ512 - datasheet seems to match the SMDFlea description

It was nowhere near where the picture showed it to be. See pics
                              Attached Files
                              Follow me on YouTube
                              ------------------
                              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

OK I think I may have found the TPU on my Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2

25LQ512 - datasheet seems to match the SMDFlea description

It was nowhere near where the picture showed it to be. See pics
                                Well done, i would have been looking around the southbridge endlessly haha, theres so many power regulators and such around the I/O area i would never think to look there, see if you can pull the rom off it and see if it looks corrupted.
                                Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Hmm maybe hold the celebration -I'm told that may be the USB3 bios - I need to unsolder it and check
                                  Follow me on YouTube
                                  ------------------
                                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Working...
                                  X