Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rx480 unknown issue

HAVE TWO RX480 ASUS 8GB CARDS, ONE WORKS ONE DOES NOT oops caps, sorry

doesn't appear to be a short anywhere that i can tell and when powered up voltages get to the ram chips, giving the same values on each testing point on the pcb (around those chips)

booted into my hive machine to see what it makes of it and it shows no memory size, just memory type (probably pulled from bios chip)
    have plugged it in as secondary in main pc and it boots without drivers but crashes BSOD if drivers are attempted to be used, if drivers are installed then after booting + showing post screen it displays a black screen (on my 1080ti as main [no onboard gpuchip] from then on. have snipped the gpu-z info.

will upload images in reply, it corrupted when it bsod so I must reboot again
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am rather stumped on this one.
    Last edited by curl-os; 06-06-2021, 03:16 PM. Reason: images

Re: rx480 unknown issue

post update

after much poking around, green is bad card (dot means same measurement)
    the up1540p is reading very high on pin 1

and this would explain the lack of memory showing up anywhere but there being power to it

I have ordered a cut off a reel from china and will update when it arrives and is installed

Comment

you can go ahead and cancel your order, because i can tell you now that it wont solve your problem.

I picked up a rx460 that is essentially the same with less cores, memory and power delivery. I got it for aboiut 10 Euros and it had the exact same problem as yours. unrecognised and installing drivers would make it go black screen.

easy fix i thought, corrupted Bios was my initial guess, so when i received it the first thing i did was desolder the BIOS chip and read its contents, it was all entirely scrambled. so i found the latest overclock version of the sapphire 2gb variety, the trick is to make sure that the bios supports the same brand of memory and ddr class, because there are slight timing differences between brands.

flashed it in and resoldered the chip and boom, GPUZ shows full details and info, Furmarked it for a few hours and it only got up to about 54deg Cso i used the radeon software and cranked up the power limit and overclock to max and retested it, went up to about 78Deg, i was pretty happy it did great on GTA5 with no lags at all at 1080P.

So go buy yourself a chip flasher and a hot air station you have your work cut out for you. you can share some of the mining profits with me if you found this helpful
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-12-2021, 07:57 AM. Reason: Removed full OP quote
      Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Originally posted by taxxin View Post
        . you can share some of the mining profits with me if you found this helpful
        HI Taxxin, I am sure someone here is going to get shirty about this comment mate. I imagine you were joking or at least was a very much tongue-in-cheek coment but I bet someone won't have a sense of humour

It's best not to make comments about payment around here IMHO.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
          HI Taxxin, I am sure someone here is going to get shirty about this comment mate. I imagine you were joking or at least was a very much tongue-in-cheek coment but I bet someone won't have a sense of humour

It's best not to make comments about payment around here IMHO.
          Very fair, thank you for the heads up, everyone in this group has been so giving with the knowledge and expertise. Its only fair that i do the same with others
          Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Hello, I have similar issue with my powercolor rx580 mining card as the previous owner said that he had no display after flashing bios.
            But when I tried to flash the bios back to stock (from techpowerup) it still showing the same 0mhz like OP.

I flashed the card both via amdvbflasher and usb eeprom flasher clip, still showing same result. undetected as primary display, error 43 when put to secondary and 0mhz core.

Is there any possibility for short here?
            Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by bensatrio8 View Post
              and usb eeprom flasher clip, still showing same result.
              This generally does not work as the external Eprom programmer needs to power up the entire voltage rail that the BIOS chip is on - and it can't

I would recommend desoldering the BIOS and programming it that way

Also you could try reading the contents of the BIOS and comparing wit ha known good file (for the same model, same VRAM) but again I think you would have to desolder it first
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                I would recommend desoldering the BIOS and programming it that way
                I have 2 cards showing 0mhz,
                powercolor mining rx580 4G:
                I already desolder it and it still gave me same result, will try with another bios files as there's only one in techpowerup.
                this card is not detected when used as primary display.

Sapphire Nitro rx570 4G:
                gave an error but solved with reinstalling AMD latest driver in win10, datected as primary display.
                It also showing amd error "AMD failed to load driver", restart it and now it showing normal.
                edit: now it back to error43 with no loaded driver, I assume this is related to bad bios chip (unstable).

Last edited by bensatrio8; 06-14-2021, 02:12 AM. Reason: card back to error 43 again

Comment

Working...
                X