SONY KD65x750F cycles through a white-red-green-blue screen when powered on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONY KD65x750F cycles through a white-red-green-blue screen when powered on

A new main board and power supply was installed on my TV last night, purchased the parts at ShopJimmy. I had no power before installing both parts. Now the TV powers on and I hear music as it cycles through a white-red-green-blue screen. I was thinking it may be a firmware mismatch with the parts however I am skeptical as to plugging in a USB stick with the newest firmware on it since I cannot do any user interaction since all I see is colors on the screen, will the firmware start and complete on its own once the USB is inserted or does it require user input? Someone told me it is in Purity Check Mode, if so how to I get it out of that mode? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Was hoping to be able to watch some TV this evening but now it isn't looking good.

Re: SONY KD65x750F cycles through a white-red-green-blue screen when powered on

Check flex cable between main and T-con on main side.
    When you insert it, it should click and lock.
    Small tabs on the ends may be ripped off, in this case you better get new cable.
    also small pieces may be stuck inside main board connector.

Comment

Is this a know issue? I did look and it doesn't appear to lock in place, it is just slid into the slot. I didn't do the install of the new boards, a friend of mine that works on TV's did. Would this cause the tv to go into test mode? Do you happen to know the part number of this cable?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by zukdj; 06-05-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

This cable you can find on eBay or if you are lucky from another broken TV, the connector types are quite typical.
        The cable should be released from main board by pressing down tiny buttons on connector.

Comment

Purchased a cable at Encompass, should be here before the end of the week, hopefully this is the solution. Shipping was more than the cable, the cable was $5.12 and the shipping was almost $10.

Question, when it arrives does it just slide in (until it clicks - from responder above) or do I have to install it a special way? I assume my TV friend broke the tab off the original when removing it. I assume those tabs align it for proper connectivity, off a fraction either way could cause the issue I am seeing?

Comment

There's normally some sort of latch. Post a photo to be certain as to the method of insertion.
            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

This particular type has 2 tiny buttons you push down to remove it from its slot, personally I was hoping for a latch. I tried taking a picture but it doesn't give a good indication of it because its so small and my camera doesn't focus well close up. When the new cable comes I just want to be perfectly sure I get it installed properly.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by zukdj; 06-06-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zukdj View Post
                Question, when it arrives does it just slide in (until it clicks - from responder above) or do I have to install it a special way?
                Yes, see #2
                Make sure the one you receive is not ripped off and no debris stuck in main board connector
                Last edited by alfatv; 06-06-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks. Is this something that happens often?

Comment

Originally posted by zukdj View Post
                    Gotcha, thanks. Is this something that happens often?
                    At least it happened to you

Comment

alfatv....LOL, I hope its as easy as this to resolve. I assumed maybe you had seen this before or this happened to you because your answer was so matter of fact.

Comment

Yes, it happened to me, see this thread, still not fixed
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94950

Comment

Cycling through colors is possibly aging mode. Have seen this in RCA/Haier models. I would google how to disable it.
                          Last edited by neilc6; 06-07-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Actually it's called Purity Mode and I cannot find anything useful on how to disable it for a SONY. Once the new cable comes I am hoping it will resolve the issue, only then will I flash the firmware on it. SONY rep actually responded to my questions today and said the board ShopJimmy sold me was in test mode when sold to me and may not be able to be resolved unless it was in the original TV it came in....if that's the case and I can't resolve this ShopJimmy is going to get all their parts back.

Comment

Cable came today, no longer scrolling through colors, now just music playing and a blank screen backlight only. Dug out the receipt the other day and found its still under warranty until August. Hopefully won't be an issue, was purchased in Canada and brought to US to me as a gift from a family member. Unfortunately with the COVID stuff I lost track of time and thought it was more than a year old.

Comment

Check T-con supply voltage on both power board and T-con. There also a fuse on T-con
                                Also, did you get a click when inserting cable into main board connector? Is it sitting and not coming out?
                                Last edited by alfatv; 06-09-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: Cable clicked in place, now just music playing in the background and a blank screen with backlight only, no visible menus or SONY splash screen at startup. Only other thing it could be is TCON board if I had to guess, power board and main are new as well as cable from main to TCON. I wasn't aware there was a fuse on the TCON, have not removed it yet to inspect it. Honestly I wouldn't know how to check supply voltage on both power board and TCON. Get this, I wasn't going to mess with it myself because it's under warranty until August and I have a receipt but since it was purchased in Canada by a family member originally that no longer resides there they won't warranty it unless I box it and ship it to Canada at my expense and have someone in Canada receive it again at my expense (I know nobody in Canada) and take it to an authorized service center IN CANADA. So stupid, like it really matters, it's a SONY TV regardless of where it was purchased, just an easy out for them.
                                  Last edited by zukdj; 06-16-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Just purchased a new TCON, will update when it arrives and is installed. Crossing my fingers that the TCON resolves the issue.

Comment

Well, I am at a total loss on this one, the TV powers on and has a backlight and plays music, that's it. I've replace all the boards (power, main and T-con) and still get the same thing. I tried setting up a bootable flash drive with the latest firmware on it, it doesn't seem to start the firmware upgrade either after booting the TV, it just starts up and plays music. No SONY splash screen, nothing. All the places to check for power seem good. This TV has beat me up and spit me out.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Power up the TV with only one side of the TV connected at a time between the tcon and panel. If one side displays an image, you have a panel fault on the bad side.

Comment

Working...
                                        X