bad linear compressor on my LG fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad linear compressor on my LG fridge

Yes it's annoying that internal lighting of any kind basically double the cost of electricity they're on plus the efficiency factor. If you assume horrible refrigerator performance, just assume that the lamps cost 3x as much power as their wattage (if you're using 40W bulbs, assume 120W each) and do the calculations for power consumption based on this, and you'll account for the compressor usage that the bulbs cause.

Overall I don't think it adds much even using incandescent bulbs, that is, unless one thinks the light stays on when the door is closed (another one of those refrigerator myths just like keeping the door open to cool the room)...

Comment

Re: bad linear compressor on my LG fridge

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      Yes it's annoying that internal lighting of any kind basically double the cost of electricity they're on plus the efficiency factor. If you assume horrible refrigerator performance, just assume that the lamps cost 3x as much power as their wattage (if you're using 40W bulbs, assume 120W each) and do the calculations for power consumption based on this, and you'll account for the compressor usage that the bulbs cause.

Overall I don't think it adds much even using incandescent bulbs, that is, unless one thinks the light stays on when the door is closed (another one of those refrigerator myths just like keeping the door open to cool the room)...
      Though the defrost heaters are far worse, being much higher wattage (often drawing 400-500W) and having the same issue of the compressor needing to remove the heat after the defrost cycle runs.

There is a certain level of irony in the fact that one of the largest users of energy in a "frost-free" (which almost all are these days aside from mini-fridges and chest freezers) refrigerator/freezer is an electric resistance heater .

Comment

Working...
      X