Bosch washing machine PSU problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bosch washing machine PSU problem

For future reference: the washing machine is a Boss MAXX 6 - WAE32160NN/01. the power supply board is labeled 5560 005 559, 9000159339, 9000162937, 170706/418 and 5560 004 652.

Recently my washing machine has started smelling like burnt electronics during use. It still works, but after a bit of sniffing around I found that it was most likely the PSU board. It has serveral burnt areas.

Surprisingly I can't seem to find any malfunctioning components. The worst condition (most burnt) part seems to be the switch mode transformer, and it's not a standard part, so I don't see how to source a replacement. (only option would be to buy the entire circuit board with a used part in questionable contition)

There are only two electrolytic capacitors on the board - one is a 10uF 400V, the other is a 470uF 25V.

I'm wondering - if I were to first measure the voltage over the 25V capacitor, then remove the switch mode transformer - then supply the correct voltage from an external power supply to the 25V capacitor - is it likely that the unit will work like normal? Is this a reasonable workaround?

here's a board for sale - with the exact same burnt spots:
    https://appliancespareparts.mysimple...59-used-tested

definitely a weakness by design...

Re: Bosch washing machine PSU problem

they arent burns, they are soot you can clean off, it's atracted to that area by high voltage.
    and it's not made by Bosch - i'v seen similar boards used in Beko machines.

Comment

Re: Bosch washing machine PSU problem

The board is labeled Siemens, so probably made by Siemens. I know they exist in Miele machines as well. But yeah - soot attracted by hight voltage makes sense, as all the components seem to be in reasonably good shape.

I cleaned up all the soot, and remelted the solder joints on all components going through the circuit board, leaving the SMD components alone. It seems to have fixed the issue.

For future reference (if someone has a similar problem): the 25V capacitor is running at 9V. If all else fails, one might be able to revive a dead unit by applying 9V to this capacitor from an external power source.

Comment

Working...
      X