Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermador Oven Controler Dim display

Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to repair a Thermador 486752 Oven controller. There are many posts on the internet about replacing bad capacitors but I can't find the actual value for the Caps. I pulled the board out to look for myself but I can't see the value unless I de-solder the component (it's in a tight spot) I would appreciate any help I could get. I have attached a picture of the board.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Thermador Oven Controler Dim display

OP, can you switch off power and try using a small mirror? Also, measure the diameter of them. They come in standard sizes like 8, 10, 12.5mm etc.
    edit: also a cellphone camera pic can work, just stuff the camera in there in macro mode and you'd be surprised what they can capture.
    I can read the capacitor part values and size from other pictures on the Internet but do not want to post the wrong info and cause confusion.
    Last edited by redwire; 05-19-2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
      OP, can you switch off power and try using a small mirror? Also, measure the diameter of them. They come in standard sizes like 8, 10, 12.5mm etc.
      edit: also a cellphone camera pic can work, just stuff the camera in there in macro mode and you'd be surprised what they can capture.
      I can read the capacitor part values and size from other pictures on the Internet but do not want to post the wrong info and cause confusion.
      Thanks very much for the reply. I did try a small inspection mirror and I found the value of 2 of the three caps. the last one (c3) is pretty tight to the transformer and looks like it may be 3300 Ufds. so far I think I have
      (1) 100 ufd 50V
      (1) 470 ufd 16v
      (1) 3300 ufd 16v (best guess!!)

Thanks again for your suggestion it helped

Comment

OMG price gouging for these boards is criminal!
        Repair your oven control board by replacing $5 worth of capacitors! Just to stop from throwing the whole appliance away.

Oven/Range Control Board - Thermador 486752, Bosch 35-00-571, 14-33-347, AP2836528, 487604.
        The board is made by OEM Robertshaw, design used in many different makes/models of ranges.

Same power supply section as Frigidaire, Kenmore 318012903, 318010300, 318010101, 318010102 which gets the cheapest Lelon capacitors

We're only missing the one cap value at the side. So far I have:

C1 3,300uF 16V, size skinny 12.5x25mm LS=5mm
        C5 ?0uF ?V, size 10x?mm
        C8 470uF 16V, size 10x20mm LS=5mm
        C9 100uF 50V, size 8x11mm LS=3.5mm

Can you see any writing on C5? I can then give some part number recommendations for replacements.

Comment

Hi @redwire, have you succeeded on your endeavor?

I have tried fixing up the board in the oven 6 years ago when we just got the house with this stove, I don't remember which capacitors I did change but probably not all and that resulted in ... no positive effect on the problem of the dim display. Now it is pretty much entirely invisible, so I finally decided to look into it again and came about your post.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I was helping other posters with their repair on a few of these oven display problems. I don't own a Thermador.

Dim fluorescent display (VFD) on ovens is mainly caused by capacitors wearing out.
            I would start a new thread (if it's not a Thermador) and post pics of the control board, model number and people here can point out the parts to check/replace. It's worth a try first.

Whirlpool/Maytag had a poor circuit design that wore our a critical capacitor, their control board design was by Robertshaw and they did a modification to add life on newer boards.

The other thing to check is the soldering to the display and filament pins, ribbon cable etc. a common problem is bad solder joints.

It's just that these displays are on 24/7 and get 10,000's of hours on them so the tube does age as well. You can tell by the look of the displayed numbers on it. There are ways to rejuvenate a VFD as well as a last resort.

The mega thread for oven dim displays is Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair
            Vacuum Fluorescent Display issue Toshiba microwave oven

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              I would start a new thread (if it's not a Thermador) and post pics of the control board...
              That is how I found this particular threads -- by searching for Thermador 486752 which is exactly what I have (I think). I have found some olderish photos aiming at various capacitors (see more on http://www.oneukrainian.com/tmp/thermador-1/ -- didn't want to flood here).

In the thread above people are talking about C5 -- I wonder if they were referring to some specific schematic or photo? I guess if I get a full list, I can venture to try replacing them all again, this time more "thoroughly"
              Attached Files
              Last edited by yarikoptic; 07-05-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

bugaga -- those Cs are on the board itself, saw on the photo
                confirming (at least capacities/voltages)

C8 470uF 16V, size 10x20mm LS=5mm

then I see not mentioned before

C3 4.7uF 34V -- likely
                C11 ??? - can't even see and there is more capacitors which could be observed.

and I think C5 is the one near the big C1 , I see that it is 16V but can't decipher capacity (attaching photo here).

I wish I knew which ones I did replace and which I didn't find at that time so thought to gamble partial replacement and 'lost'
                Attached Files

Comment

ha -- on this image I found on the web C5 seems to be 470uF

Comment

OK working on the capacitor parts list, for: Bosch Thermador 486752 Oven Control Board, Frigidaire 318010400 Oven Control Board same, Frigidaire 318010300 Oven Control Board same has some relays missing.

I see 4 electrolytic capacitors on that board, and 3 on the display board, For the time I'd replace all of them for a few bucks:

Relay /power board
                    C5,C8 470uF 16V, size 10x20mm LS=5mm

VFD display board
                    C3 4.7uF 35V
                    C11 ?
                    C14 10uF 16V

Comment

I am working on the same board and was able to confirm the following:

Relay /power board

VFD display board
                      C3 4.7uF 35V
                      C11 .47uF 50V
                      C14 10uF 16V

So where is the best place for me to purchase these small individual caps that meet these specs?

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetware View Post
                        I am working on the same board and was able to confirm the following:

Relay /power board

VFD display board
                        C3 4.7uF 35V
                        C11 .47uF 50V
                        C14 10uF 16V

So where is the best place for me to purchase these small individual caps that meet these specs?
                        Never Mind on the purchase question. I know I can order them on-line, I was looking for a more local option like the old radio shacks. Looks like there's a micro-center not too far from me.

Comment

For the time and money, I would buy top quality Nichicon, Chemi-con or Rubycon from Mouser or Digi-Key.
                          If you put in cheap chinese caps you will be back at again in a year or two.

Comment

Thanks again for all of your help. I was able to order and replace all of the capacitors listed above. Unfortunately my board is still throwing an F1 error so it must be something else. Without a schematic and more patience I broke down and sent the unit off to a repair shop. Will follow up here when they let me know what they found.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetware View Post
                              I was able to order and replace all of the capacitors listed above. Unfortunately my board is still throwing an F1 error so it must be something else. Without a schematic and more patience I broke down and sent the unit off to a repair shop. Will follow up here when they let me know what they found.
                              Sorry to hear that. The cap replacement suggestion was more for those who have dim displays. The F1 error could be something completely else. Keep us posted, though. Would be interesting to see what the issue was.

BTW, as far as Micro Center goes, I used to work there some many years back and had one 2 minutes away from my house. While they do have a few specific general purpose parts there, their electrolytic capacitor stock is rather scarce and they are all Jackcon capacitors, which are known to be of poor quality.

Comment

did you test relays? they are sometimes getting stuck or the coil is too weak to push the rod

Comment

Just wanted to provide an update. I sent the board off to a repair place and they repaired it, tested it in a working unit, and sent it back to me. I reinstalled the board and unfortunately I'm still getting the F1 error. Based on a recommendation I tested the thermostat and it appears to be working as it is producing 1085 ohms resistance at room temp which is about right.

I know that this isn't really an open repair forum but any other ideas on what to check?

Comment

Thermador Oven/Range/Stove Fault Codes (Starting with F)
                                    F1 - Oven Control Failure - Replace control board (clock). F2 - Oven Temperature Too Hot - Replace relay board if faulty. Check and replace oven temperature sensor (RTD). If error persists, replace control board (clock).

Comment

F1 error and wonky behaviour is first usually bad capacitors.

There are two readings to check the oven RTD temperature sensor.
                                      The good 1,085Ω reading across the two leads but also measure Ohms from the sensor's two wires to chassis ground/housing to see if there is a ground fault. It should be isolated, open-circuit there.
                                      The wiring must not be burnt at the sensor.

If there was a power surge/lightning or the heating element goes poof I have seen the control board's circuit that reads the oven temp sensor get damaged. Or the sensor shorts to (housing) ground internally yet reads OK like your 1,085Ω.

It might be the controller board A/D converter reading out of spec. - in other words it's reading a silly oven temperature even though the RTD sensor tests ok, the board sees -20° for example.
                                      Can you get it to display temperature?

F1 error also a stuck button or water in the keypad or a problem with its ribbon cable and connector. Just use your eyes and carefully look.

You'd have to post clear pics of both sides of the board to highlight the chip on the board.

Comment

pictures of both sides - lets see what was replaced/re-soldered

Comment

Working...
                                        X