Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie needs help w/Electrolytic caps (washing machine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs help w/Electrolytic caps (washing machine)

Howdy!

The main problem is that the agitator/spin motor doesn't run (front loader, AEG/Electrolux). The water pump, and all other electronics seem to work, and it goes through the error diagnosis on the control panel.

I checked the motor values, and it seems to be OK.

I looked over the MB, and I didn't like how the MB looked at the attachment points of the motor to the wiring harness, so I cleaned them up.

As I looked around more, I noticed on one soldered lead of a cap had a brown coating around it. (No, not glue). I took a picture AFTER I had cleaned it up a bit, you can still see some of the coating. I took measurements of that cap printed values are ELNA, 220 uF, 35V. The meter said 228 uF, Vloss = 2.1%, ESR=0.69.

OK, I thought, it looks like maybe it leaked, but the values look OK. It's about impossible to see the cap side of the board, the cap doesn't have enough clearance to see underneath it.

Since there's only 4 electrolytic caps on the board, I thought I'd check the others out, too.

Next two caps with the same printed value as above (ELNA, 220 uF, 35V) read:
    445 uF, Vloss = 12%, ESR = .66
    447 uF, Vloss= 12%, ESR = .69

Now for the last cap, printed value of LETON, 10uF, 400V, the meter reads:
    DIODE Uf = 699mV, C= 10.2 uF!!

BTW, according the map of the circuit board, all the caps are in the power supply section, not in anything controlling the motor.

So, I'm confused as to why the motor is the problem, but the caps in the power supply seem to be the troublemakers.....

Thanks!

Re: newbie needs help w/Electrolytic caps (washing machine)

I'm uploading the pics to Drive right now, one moment's patience, please!

Comment

after 20 minutes of not being able to upload pics, I guess newbie needs help with that too

Comment

Click Go Advanced below, then the paperclip.

Have you checked the brushes on the motor ?

Did you remove those caps from circuit to test ?

Comment

BTW, no caps are bulging.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            Click Go Advanced below, then the paperclip. OK, will do

Have you checked the brushes on the motor ? No, will do.

Did you remove those caps from circuit to test ?
            No, will do.

Comment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...dTRDhRQVlSSVp3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...YyRWJMRTkxTUo0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e7...fxcNyUywqES2nD

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NU...lXJVLCp8LZpV-C

Comment

did you check the triacs ? and also motor wires ?

Comment

last pic bottom left looks like bulging cap

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    last pic bottom left looks like bulging cap
                    naw, it's just the angle.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                      click go advanced below, then the paperclip.

Have you checked the brushes on the motor ? brushes are good

did you remove those caps from circuit to test ?
                      i took them out of circuit and they test good

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                        did you check the triacs ? and also motor wires ?
                        I tested the motor wires, all good

I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE TRIAC IS.
                        There's one non SMC transistor (3 legs) attached to a heat sink.

When I attached it to a multi-component tester, I got readings of hFE=56.0K and uf = 546 mV
                        After that, I retried, and I got "resistor" of 71 ohm between points a & b, and 267 ohms between b & c.

WTD?

Comment

Originally posted by glutton4punishment View Post
                          after 20 minutes of not being able to upload pics, I guess newbie needs help with that too
                          Here is a FAQ on how to upload pics, or do you get any errors when you try to?
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I tested the motor wires, all good

I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE TRIAC IS.
                            There's one non SMC transistor (3 legs) attached to a heat sink.

When I attached it to a multi-component tester, I got readings of hFE=56.0K and uf = 546 mV
                            After that, I retried, and I got "resistor" of 71 ohm between points a & b, and 267 ohms between b & c.

WTD?
                            maybe it doesnt use triacs for switching then . most i have worked on have a row of them on the main board .

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              Here is a FAQ on how to upload pics, or do you get any errors when you try to?
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
                              thanks very much for that!

Since the caps ended up not being the problem, I'm not going to reload the pics.

Comment

re: the triacs, there are 4 of these white cubes on the board....each, it seems, has 5 connections to the board.....are these triacs?

Comment

Next two caps with the same printed value as above (ELNA, 220 uF, 35V) read:
                                  445 uF, Vloss = 12%, ESR = .66
                                  447 uF, Vloss= 12%, ESR = .69
                                  those are fucked,
                                  they are internally leaky leading to high uf readings.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    those are fucked,
                                    they are internally leaky leading to high uf readings.
                                    I took them out of circuit, and then they read ok

Comment

I took them out of circuit, and then they read ok
                                      Compared to a new one of same UF value and same voltage

I do not think so I test a lot of capacitor and to me those ESR value look high

( one note if you get any reading over 0.30 [ on UF values less than 470 UF ] I would check it with a new one of a brand name capacitor to know for sure weather or not its reading is high or not or if in doubt)

If this was a 220uf cap and it reads 445uf then there is something really wrong with those capacitors

And if they are 470uf capacitors then I would question weather those capacitors are any good any way

Here is my rule about ESR values ( that are used in Switching Power Supply ) ( in other devices it depends on what type of device it is if I have this opinion on it or not —> if it has a timing circuit or a micro controller in it then I have the same opinion as I do about switching power supply )

If the capacitor is a non well known manufacturer I replace on site
                                      If the capacitor is more than 10% higher in ESR value of a new one it gets replaced even if it is a well known brand

If it has a value less than 10% I might change them any way

if the device is older than 5 years old or if it being used 24 hours a day and 7 days a week 365 days a year or the device sit around for long periods of time not being used and I am have issues with the device I replaced them

This is just my opinion
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-16-2020, 09:02 PM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply
                                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Does this "washing machine" have a model number? does the board have a part number? attach pictures of the complete board, both sides.
                                        Last edited by R_J; 02-16-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X