svidalert explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

svidalert explanation

In my history of repairing laptops as a hobby i have found several boards that had either dead pch or ite or.... and after i replaced it i get to the point of having every single voltage except +vcc (core cpu). On cpu PWM CONTROLLER i had +5v, ALL_SYSTEM_PWRGD... every one except svidalert. it would be low in voltage and active. The resistance on vcore was always fine.. but svidalert was on. SVID_CLK AND SVID_DATA are always fine.
    According to the datasheets of the controller "SVID ALERT# is pulled low by the controller to alert the CPU of new VR/12/12.5 Status". Can someone explain me what is the meaning of "VR/12/12.5 Status"? What is svid alert checking? is it only cpu or it can be pch? or?
    On almost every topic i read regarding subject the conclusion is if you have all voltage but svid alert is low then cpu is dead. But some of them replaced cpu and had exact same problem!?
    Last edited by myth77; 08-06-2022, 10:34 AM.

Re: svidalert explanation

Same problem here. CPu replaced and problem is the same

Comment

In most of the cases it is a dead CPU from what I know. However, recently got noticed about a case where it was a burned reisistor around the CPU, so maybe always worth to do a visual inspection before concluding the worst.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

yes, i have also heard in one place the fault was resistor on pch line.
        But, it would be great to know what svidalert is checking...

Comment

See Figures 9, 10, 12.
          Detailed explanation of SVID is in another document that I don't think has leaked.
          Attached Files
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
          X