Dell U3011 no display after a few minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell U3011 no display after a few minutes

Yup, my Dell U3011 was going screen-dark, and soldering the grey cap last night fixed a hairline crack in the joint on the back of the board!.

Be careful - I had undone a few too many screws taking off the RF shield, and the grounding straps sprung against the DVI and USB ports had fallen loose - luckily I heard them rattling around inside (after I had already buttoned up the bezel unfortunately), but at least I went back in and fixed them to prevent a short!

Comment

Just another owner of a 10 year old U3011 suffering the same symptoms reporting that re-soldering the grey cap did the trick! I desoldered the joints using a solder-sucker, cleaned the contacts, and re-soldered it fresh. I inspected all the other through-hole joints on the board and they all looked pretty good, so I left them alone. Thank you internet!

Comment

Also had the PSC board with the solder fracture at the "cap" (Actually, I think it's a resistor) and numerous other cold solder joints. Now working nicely.

THANKS Y'ALL!

Comment

Originally posted by rundll.exe View Post
          And from me too a big thanks for all helpfull information here!

Mine also died after a few seconds and I had to pull the plug to try again.

In the end it wasn't the grey rectangular cap that was bad (I resoldered it first).
          But when I was feeling the heat from one of the center aluminum plates, it was heating up much faster than the others, and I could hardly touch it after 15 sec of on-time!

However I had no idea what kind of IC was underneath.

Some searching led me to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lseu0UlVk (watch with CC-translation)

I could see him unpacking this component at 39 sec
          https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...3-5-ND/2256089
          I seems to be some kind of AC/DC converter. The video also is a nice guide for how to quickly replace this component!

I replaced that one, applied new thermal paste, and so far it holds up!
          Hi there,

My monitor are having this problem as well.
          I have tried to solder the capacitor and no luck.
          I proceed to order this IC from digikey and manage to solder it in.

Previously the monitor will black out after 5 minute, now the monitor is still rocking after 2 hours!!

Thank you sir for sharing the solution! God bless!

Comment

Huge thank you to Darran for raising my issue so clearly, and to all those giving troubleshooting help especially Eugene13 - my issue was exactly the same dry solder joint on that rectangular capacitor.

Over and above the obvious help of getting my monitor fixed -within 2 days of the problem starting - I want to say that this had a disproportionately positive impact on my life. I've been working hard to get on top of a lot of technical and administrative issues for my small business, and the last thing I needed to derail my sense of getting on top was a new and unexpected issue on my most trusted IT equipment. Being able to fix it so fast gave me back my sense of momentum, so thanks for that!

Comment

I also just joined to say a big THANKS!

I had the same problem here on my 10 year old DELL 3011 and recently started to have these problems. At first I suspected my 3090FE to mess with some monitor settings through DDC/CI. That card is a mess and has lots of other problems, so it fitted the picture pretty well. But after switching that feature off and testing other inputs from other GPUs it came apparently clear that this is a problem with the monitor.

I glad I found this forum, it took me about 30 minutes to repair this. Huge thanks again!

Here is a quick snap of the solder joints right before I resoldered them:

Comment

Registered here to say thanks!

Comment

...and a big thanks from me. Summer in Australia and with the extra heat my U3011 started going blank on me.

@Darran thanks for the pictures and instructions and @Eugene13 for the directions to the rectangular cap .

I found dry joints on the rectangular cap on the power board as others have reported. In re-flowing the joint I noticed that the solder was not sticking to the legs of the cap very well so like @essejlc I desoldered each leg and cleaned the little stub with some desoldering braid moistened with soldering flux. This made the joint flow nicely.

This is what the internet is for. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share.

Comment

Hi all,

I repaired this monitor type today and also in my case there were some cold solder joints. I also had the problem with the heatsink that became extremely hot. It is the heatsink where the 2 MOSFETs are fitted, and on the other side, it is cooling an IC. I followed the post from rundll.exe and replaced this IC. The temperature is back to normal now, and the monitor has been repaired successfully.

The type number of the IC is TOP266VG, as you can see in that Youtube movie. You can refer to the attached photo as well. Hope this helps...
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a HP U3011 monitor which would go blank after a couple of minutes. During troubleshooting, I noticed that the 5 V stayed steady but the 24 V supply would die. Traced the fault to the AC/DC converter which drives the 2 MOSFETS to generate 24V. The AC/DC converter is TOP266VG and can be located under the MOSFETS heatsink. It is hidden under the heatsink, so you will need to desolder the MOSFETS and the heatsink to get to this chip. Purchased the chip, replaced and the monitor is happily chugging along ever after. I purchased a few more chips due to the pandemic (chip is made in China) and the time it takes to get them. So, if anyone is interested to buy TOP266VG, let me know.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I also fixed my Dell u3011 by replacing the TOP266VG chip. It was a quick and simple fix, the only challenging part was separating screen from the back cover.

Comment

Also, just registered here to say thanks!

Comment

Registered to add the thread, and to say thanks.

Have had my Dell U3011 for about 5 years second hand. My gf has been using it for work for the last 2 years or so, and it failed yesterday.

I have noticed increased electrical 'humming' from the monitor for a couple of months, and yesterday we had a power cut due to lightning. The monitor's power and LED buttons were illuminated, but the screen would not turn on. Shortly after the buttons would not illuminate anymore. N.B. it was plugged into a surge protector.

Today, I reluctantly began to teardown the monitor, as I was already suspecting a power supply failure. I couldn't see anything obvious, and the electrolytic caps looked okay.

I plugged the monitor into the mains to test if anything was overheating, potentially indicating a failed IC component. Anyway I managed to get a nasty shock from the third heatsink, which is above the TOP266VG power management IC.

I've ordered the component from mouser and I'll have a crack a replacing it next week.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether this type of fault sounds like it is possible or likely to be an IC failure? I've checked for cracked/old solder joints and everything looked okay. I'm only really a hobbyist when it comes to electronics, but very enthusiastic if I can save myself hundreds of € by fixing things myself.

Thank you for everyone who has contributed here :-)

Comment

Love my old U3011 and was just able to give it new life thanks to this thread! Definetly a bad solder joint! Thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by berrieds View Post
                                Registered to add the thread, Anyway I managed to get a nasty shock from the third heatsink, which is above the TOP266VG power management IC.
                                These devices have a tendency to go bad for no apparent reason
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply
                                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Same problem with my beloved U3011 that has been so amazing and solid for a decade...

Followed the instructions from you guys, re-soldered that grey square thing, and she's back to life!

THANK YOU!

Comment

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Had the usual intermittent backlight failure after power on that was growing worse, but once the monitor heated up it would stay on without issue. Sounded like a dead ringer for the solder joint. Alas after resoldering the cracked joints the backlight still wasn't getting the juice to light up.

I noted both 2200uf 10v barrel caps were bulging and definitely on the way out. But the little grey box (which apparently is a film capacitor, sourced mine from Mouser Electronics) was also failing, one leg had browning and there were faint indentations in three places where it looked like it was failing internally. I replaced all three caps and now my U3011 works perfectly again!

Comment

The grey one is a Arcotronics R75 MKP Radial Single Metallized Polypropylene Film , 0.047 mf or 47nf , 1000 v , J stands for 5% tolerance . Just for precision .

Comment

Hi all,
                                        Massive thanks to all who contributed to this thread as it enabled me to fix My Dell that was having this exact issue.

Comment

Thank you for this thread. It was the square gray cap. When I first looked at it I thought there was no way the fix could be that easy until I looked at it under a microscope and I could see hair line crack around one of the leads. Hit it with the soldering iron and it's working again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X