Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook pro 15" 2018. keyboard backlight not working

Hi. all

I had to detach my MacBook pro 15 " 2018 (A1990) screen because it was broken.

The keyboard backlight dies not. work anymore.

Did I mess something up or the backlight cable is connected. to the screen?

Thanks in advance

Re: Macbook pro 15" 2018. keyboard backlight not working

Can you see the graphics if you use a flashlight / torch along the front face of the display?

Keyboard caps key light toggles on / off after boot?

Comment

I Jhabvala completely removed the screen and using an external screen . A new screen is $900

Comment

The Mac is working better with only one monitor. I had to do that because I was reinstalling macOS and it could not log to the external monitor. So I thought let’s remove the MacBook screen and let the Mac see only one screen ( the external monitor ) and it is working perfectly . Much better when the Mac screen was on . But the only thing is that the keyboard Mack light is not working . Is it related to the screen connector?

Comment

The previous models use an ambient light sensor in the screen to turn it on/off. Wastes battery if it's daylight, so it's switched off in that case. So with that missing, I'd say that's your issue.

Comment

Makes sense.
            Probably this is why it is not working.
            But this is a totally different experience, laptop without a screen
            With a big 25” monitor.
            Much better
            I don’t need to be mobile with it any way .

Thanks for your reply ����

Comment

You can run a MAC in clamshell mode if the screen is U/S, no need to remove it. Allows you to at least set it up on external monitor, you just need an external USB-C hub that supports HDMI, power pass thru and USB ports etc for keyboard/mouse. You can then set it up in clone display mode, keeping the original display camera if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                You can run a MAC in clamshell mode if the screen is U/S, no need to remove it. Allows you to at least set it up on external monitor, you just need an external USB-C hub that supports HDMI, power pass thru and USB ports etc for keyboard/mouse. You can then set it up in clone display mode, keeping the original display camera if needed.
                I have been running it like that for a while, but I had to reinstall the macOS and I messed up something on the reinstall process with the hard drive so the Mac would only start in the original monitor mode. I have tried EVERYTHING to try to get the second screen to show to start my new installation and nothing worked ( I realized later that I had the question mark folder).

So I figured I should disconnect the monitor cable so that the Mac would see only one monitor and be forced to use.

And it worked 😁

I spent a few days trying to get it to work .

The next question, I am trying to find the circuitry responsible for the keyboard backlight so I would try to force the backlight on.

There must be a pin in a chip in the Mac that is responsible for turning the backlight on.

If someone knows I would really appreciate it .

Comment

Working...
                X