samsung un65nu6900f common problem, digging deeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: samsung un65nu6900f common problem, digging deeper

so you think this is a design flaw then? or maybe more planned obsolescence they are putting in, since the overdriven backlights etc. has been figured out. maybe they are trying to be more subtle where they put the weak link?

Comment

Gotta be a design flaw of some sort. From what ive seen many of these TVs have this same problem (if that backlight leds dont burn up first anyway). Ive seen many people do the tape fix, which covers the bad VGH line, so if anyone out there with a tape fix wants to remove the tape and put a 10K resistor on the board to see.

I would like to see another get successfully repaired so we can rule out a fluke.

Comment

i wish yours found will be the answer.. to tell the truth i checked on MB TU the back side of the boards are complete different circuit. so my questions did you follow the pins 85 from downside too?

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
          i wish yours found will be the answer.. to tell the truth i checked on MB TU the back side of the boards are complete different circuit. so my questions did you follow the pins 85 from downside too?
          I apologize, but i do not understand what you are asking. I believe the backside of this circuit board is completely flat with only the green coating on it.

Comment

Originally posted by itelite View Post
            Gotta be a design flaw of some sort. From what ive seen many of these TVs have this same problem (if that backlight leds dont burn up first anyway). Ive seen many people do the tape fix, which covers the bad VGH line, so if anyone out there with a tape fix wants to remove the tape and put a 10K resistor on the board to see.

I would like to see another get successfully repaired so we can rule out a fluke.
            yes, I would like to see if this works in lieu of the tape cut-off method also.

Comment

Not to be bearer of bad news. But these TVs were doomed from the start. “Nu” series have backlight issues where they get to hot, fail and melt the plastics beneath the screen. Glad you found a solution for your problem though. Great job troubleshooting

Comment

Originally posted by Storyteller12 View Post
                Not to be bearer of bad news. But these TVs were doomed from the start. “Nu” series have backlight issues where they get to hot, fail and melt the plastics beneath the screen. Glad you found a solution for your problem though. Great job troubleshooting
                Oh totally. I have a decent sized pile of them at my shop with burn marks all over the diffuser, some cracked, some melted through the back white sheet.
                What an absolute mess of a tv design.

I was actually rather sure when i saw the model number this was going to be a burnt up backlight as well. After the fix/mod i turned the backlight very low and advised the owner to keep it there. I usually advise "Keep the backlight as low as you can tolerate". If they ask why, i have a NU series diffuser to display and that gets the point across pretty quickly ha

Comment

yep, they're total junk and a fire hazard, absolutely the worse pos tv I've seen in forever.

Comment

I was gifted a non-working UN70NU6900F - same symptoms. I've determined that it is the right side of the driver board set (4 pieces) when viewed from the back. I can disconnect the flat cable between the two boards and start the TV with sound, and more often than not when I reconnect the flat cable (power ON) the picture comes on and TV works great until I shut it off.

I will try this fix (just replace the resistor) tonight and reply back.

Comment

the direct resistor fix did not work.

nor did the wire to the Vgh port on the driver board with a resistor

Comment

Originally posted by itelite View Post

Just repaired my un70nu6900f with this same method. Thank you!

Comment

interesting thread, wonder why it worked for one and not the other, same model tv.

Comment

The higher R limits inrush and prevents ESD diode connected to VGH near Test point to go short, it is partially shorted.. my bet...
                            Last edited by Davi.p; 10-15-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Personally I would steer clear of the Samsung UN series and make sure you test with firestick or android box etc. Had a Samsung 58 inch mainboard fry my MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB video card plugged into HDMI port last year. Lost 400.00 video card for garbage samsung tv. Plus many complaints UN series blowing leds and causing tv to catch on fire and burn down their homes etc. I have plugged my PC into Skyworth, LG, RCA, SEIKI etc never a problem. learned my lesson lol.

Comment

Great tip Tech9pc, looks like samsung is going down in flames.

Comment

Originally posted by codycowgill View Post
                                  Just repaired my un70nu6900f with this same method. Thank you!
                                  Still going strong, probably used the tv for 20 or more hours. I forgot to mention that I used a 19k resistor.

Comment

Good to hear it working. As far as i am aware the original TV in thread is still working fine.

Comment

Hi All, can anyone confirm the same pin number for the 50/55" versions

Comment

Just want to add, the same model came in the shop today, i performed the same modification successfully.

The only difference, is i used a 30K resistor to replace the R13246 on the main board. I tried a 10K first and it was not successful. I also tried a 2K and it was not successful. I dont think exact resistance is crucial, but too low the tv will power cycle, too high you will see artifacts on the screen. Presumably from the VGH current being too limited.

No need to do the wire run thing if you can replace the SMD resistor without disturbing anything else on the board.

Model is UN70NU6900FXZA.

Comment

Cool, with that fix and the backlights run very low, at least people can get more use out of these crap tvs, before they buy a different brand next time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X