3DS (2011) LED/Diode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3DS (2011) LED/Diode?

TL;DR: I have a missing diode/amber LED on my 3DS motherboard that I'm trying to figure out how to replace.

Another day another broken console. I'm working on an otherwise immaculate looking purple 3DS, 2011 version. Symptoms when purchased included sticky buttons and an inability to charge the battery. I opened it up and was unsurprised to find a sticky brown liquid that I am choosing to believe was coke all along the right side of device going down to the motherboard. A bunch of rubbing alcohol and many tiny screws later I stripped the bottom half of the device and removed the motherboard from the case. I noticed in the bottom right that a diode was missing. I assume it was a diode because of the symbol on the motherboard. By total luck I found the missing piece (I think) and as it turns out, it's a surface mount amber LED. I tested the small piece with my multimeter, saw the LED light up and measured 1.82V. In the picture below you can see the area in question for this post. In addition I'm attaching a picture of the motherboard from iFixit's website so you can see what I'm talking about. One problem I foresee is the pads...or rather the lack of pads. No idea it they just ripped off or they're just hiding or something.

All that long story to ask, what part or piece should I be looking for? Is that part strictly necessary to the operation of the 3DS? Any other ideas to help along the repair?
    Attached Files

Re: 3DS (2011) LED/Diode?

I don't think it is necessary for operation but I would scrape a little of the solder mask away and reuse the LED after removing the soldered on pads.

Comment

Working...
    X