My first TFT repair - Nec LCD1703M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first TFT repair - Nec LCD1703M

As you can see there are 3 Hermei caps bad.

I am wondering if the power supplies of TFT displays in general use same esr caps as computer power supplies.

Then I suppose I could replace the 2x 1000uF 16V Hermei caps with 2x Rubycon YXF 1000uF 16V or Nichicon HD....

And another thing that I need some help is about the 470uF 16V Hermei caps. Will it hurt if I replace them with 1000uF 16V ones?

Thank you very much for your help
    Attached Files

Re: My first TFT repair - Nec LCD1703M

I'd try to keep the replacement caps close to the original values.
    Perhaps Willawake can suggest a supplier in Greece.

What's the symptom? That design looks vaguely familiar.
    I'd check the transistors in the inverter section for shorts.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I haven't connected it on ac yet... I found it some hours ago.

Can you show me the inverter section? I have no experience with tft...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        Can you show me the inverter section?
        It is the left hand side of the power board where PT201 and PT202 sit. smason is probably talking about Q209 through Q212.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Will it hurt if I replace them with 1000uF 16V ones?
          There is no harm in doing that. There are filter caps and rising of capacity can't make trouble in this case.

Comment

I am wondering if the power supplies of TFT displays in general use same esr caps as computer power supplies.
            They do, more or less.
            The only difference is that the power supplies of LCD monitors don't have large toroidal coils on the output rails like PC PSUs do. Therefore, you can actually go with much lower ESR capacitors if needed. I still recommend staying close to the specs of the original capacitors, though. The only exception to this rule is if the original capacitors are rated for 85C - never put 85C caps in a LCD PSU because they just won't last very long.

By the way, make sure to replace all of the caps, not just the few bad ones. The only cap you don't need to replace is the big 400v one on the primary side because those very rarely fail.
            Last edited by momaka; 03-24-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

By the way, make sure to replace all of the caps, not just the few bad ones. The only cap you don't need to replace is the big 400v one on the primary side because those very rarely fail.
              I wish I could afford replacing all of the capacitors..

Judging from the pcb discoloration, the 4 output caps are the ones that get very hot.

Thank you for your help! I am waiting for replacement caps. I think I'll use Rubycon YXF 16V 1000uF.

Comment

I wish I could afford replacing all of the capacitors..
                I guess I should have been more specific - replace all of the caps on the PSU only. There's actually only 3 more (1 is the small start-up cap, and the other 2 are the blue ones for the inverter).

Judging from the pcb discoloration, the 4 output caps are the ones that get very hot.
                Yes, but the 2 blue ones in the middle of the board (extra filter caps for the inverter input) have also likely taken a beating after the 4 outputs caps failed since they are connected in parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I guess I should have been more specific - replace all of the caps on the PSU only. There's actually only 3 more (1 is the small start-up cap, and the other 2 are the blue ones for the inverter).
                  I see 4 extra caps....

Very useful info! What exactly an inverter does, how many volts it takes as an input and how many volts it outputs? Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I see 4 extra caps....

Very useful info! What exactly an inverter does, how many volts it takes as an input and how many volts it outputs? Thanks!
                    An inverter steps the inverter supply voltage (in this case, probably 12 volts) up to the 700 volts required to light the CCFLs. It also adjusts brightness and protects against broken or aged CCFLs. Datasheets for the inverter controller will give many more details.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Another thing the inverter does is to change DC to AC. In this case 12v DC would be converted to upwards of 700v AC. The inverter performs the opposite function of a rectifier.

The interesting thing about an LCD power supply/inverter is that it takes the source AC current (120v or 240v) and converts it to DC. Then the inverter section turns around and converts the DC to AC. The frequency of the AC can thereby be specified for the CCFL lamps.

Comment

An Inverter to me,prior to getting into Monitors, was also called a Variable Speed Drive up to 250KW,which was powered by 3 phase mains,and the voltage was changed to DC and then back to AC,via Thyristors.Some of the DC became again 12volts and this was used in the Controller Board to vary the output freqency,so speed could be adjusted from 0-100hertz,therby slowing or speeding up the Motor .This was used in lots of ways for example,Coca Cola used one to vary the speed of the cans going along conveyor belts,use in 'Carbon Black' manufacture,and the one I liked ...to vary the speed of the motor the pulled the coffin through the curtains,and no doubt will be used when its curtains for me.Although they say, that only the good die young,so I have a long way to go...I hope.

Comment

You can't be lucky every time...

I replaced 6 caps...

2xHermei 1000uF 16V LE (General Purpose Low ESR) -> 2xRubycon YXF 1000uF 16V
                          2xHermei 470uF 16V LT (Lower ESR) -> 2xRubycon YXF 1000uF 16V
                          2xHermei 150uF 25V LZ (Ultra Low ESR) -> 2x Panasonic FM 220uF 35V

..only to find out that the lcd is broken

Anyway thanks for your help!

I consider it a training session for the next time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Re: You can't be lucky every time...

I replaced 6 caps...

2xHermei 1000uF 16V LE (General Purpose Low ESR) -> 2xRubycon YXF 1000uF 16V
                            2xHermei 470uF 16V LT (Lower ESR) -> 2xRubycon YXF 1000uF 16V
                            2xHermei 150uF 25V LZ (Ultra Low ESR) -> 2x Panasonic FM 220uF 35V

..only to find out that the lcd is broken

Anyway thanks for your help!

I consider it a training session for the next time.
                            Ya really gota be realy careful with this stuff,It almost like eating potato chips you can't do just 1!
                            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

i'd still keep it. just wait for another 17" LCD with f*cked up electronics (like some of those Samsungs which always show "out of range" or something) and retrofit the panel into the NEC..

i did something like this a dozen times.. always worked fine if the resolution of both panels is the same..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                i'd still keep it. just wait for another 17" LCD with f*cked up electronics (like some of those Samsungs which always show "out of range" or something) and retrofit the panel into the NEC..

i did something like this a dozen times.. always worked fine if the resolution of both panels is the same..
                                Is that possible with Nec LCD1703M and Samsung Syncmaster 710V????

(https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...843#post264843)

Comment

i have replaced faulty screens with panels from othe rmakes and models with no problem,for example 17" to replace a 17" etc.It can be not a simple as that, but it is worth a try if you have a possible replacement,.

Comment

And how you do it? Is there a step by step guide? I have no experience in this...

Comment

Well, hopefully the whole panel ie the lights and screen are the same dimensions as the original, and the whole unit just replaced.

Comment

This IBM L170 monitor was the panel donor that helped me bring this NEC TFT back to life

Comment

Working...
                                        X