Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping PCs with heavy heatsink/fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping PCs with heavy heatsink/fans...

For people who have shipped PCs with huge heatsink/fans through UPS/USPS/Fedex... do they survive?

How does one ensure that the heatsink stays attached and does not rip itself off the motherboard?

Or do they tend to stay in place just fine?

Re: Shipping PCs with heavy heatsink/fans...

Old world ones attached to the little plastic clips on ZIF sockets and some P4's were bad about breaking in transit. Things that are screwed into metal (modern stuff), I've never had a problem.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

So the stock S775 hs/f don't survive? Hmmm. wonder what it'd take to reinforce it to survive...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        So the stock S775 hs/f don't survive? Hmmm. wonder what it'd take to reinforce it to survive...
        Those sinks are horrible....but the upside is they're light....they tend to stay put. I usually break them trying to remove/reinstall them.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

hmm... as a HS/F the stock S775 ones seem to be nice and quiet as well as the fans seem quite long lasting - haven't had one die yet. Unlike the aftermarket ones I've dealt with...some of which are quite loud (though haven't had one of those fans yet die yet), but they have a back (or front, for the Zalman S478 to S775 retrofit) plate and actually screwed to the board. Not sure if I will have to use one of the aftermarket ones or will the stock ones survive...

Comment

Working...
          X