Topower TOP-650PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topower TOP-650PM

So when I acquired this, the original Nanotek bearing fan had almost all of its blades missing. So I pulled a c_hegge and mounted a 120mm fan in there because I couldn't find any 140mm ones in my scrap pile. I was load testing it (Pentium 4 Prescott and overclocked GTX 285) and about an hour in it shut down and would not power back up. Even though it was getting really hot I figured that still wasn't enough load to blow it up. So when I took it apart I discovered this:

It looked like that on both FET's on the primary. And overall the soldering was bad in places. The thing only had 2 and a half years of use before I got my hands on it. After fixing those joints, it powered back up and I proceeded to recap it, redo a lot of the soldering, and add an MOV.

The thing actually has two 12V rails, each with a 30A schottky rectifier. Uses Viper22A for 5VSB. I'm going to put it in one of my builds with a Core 2 Quad Yorkfield and two HD 7770's in Crossfire. I think it'll be perfect for that. I know it isn't capable of 650W, but it looks good for about 400W at least.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Fhy on the primary, Asia X on 5V, 3.3V, and all the little caps. kingcon on the 5VSB and 12V. Apparently even kingcon is better than Asia X/Fuhjyyu/Jun Fu. Those 4 filtering caps on the secondary that are Asia X failed high capacitance, and one failed with 2.4Ω ESR. All the little Asia X caps read over 3Ω as well (I know that's not a completely unacceptable reading but I'm guessing they're failing). The kingcon caps on the 5VSB were high capacitance, good on ESR, and the ones on the 12V tested perfectly in spec.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pentium4; 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM.

Re: Topower TOP-650PM

Wow, I haven't seen soldering quite that bad before. Even CWT can usually do a little better than that. I like your fix for the fan too
    Last edited by c_hegge; 03-31-2014, 07:45 PM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, even CWT is a little better. I was at least thankful that the leads were cut nice and short. It's running good now, the 120mm fan seems to move air adequately. The fan revs up noticeably around 275W which is understandable. I didn't take a picture, but the way that they positioned the PCB, the main transformer and main toroid is the side that is closest to the exhaust grille, which probably helps keep it cool.

Comment

reviving this... lol
        this psu is the same sh1t from zumax ZU-0900

Comment

Originally posted by totto210 View Post
          reviving this... lol
          this psu is the same sh1t from zumax ZU-0900
          Makes sense with the transformer markings. I've seen this exact design in Zumax, ePower and Topower. Interestingly the UL number always goes back to Topower.

Comment

Working...
          X