18VDC PSU has dropped to 10v - ZD-915 desoldering station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18VDC PSU has dropped to 10v - ZD-915 desoldering station

My ZD915 desoldering station lost fan speed, pump speed, and peak heating ability yeaterday. Today I did some investigation and discovered the 18v psu is only outputting 10v. Now, I know the basic idea of how a switching pau works but not well enough to quickly diagnose the faulty component. I know the transistor controls the pwm via the opto-isolator, and how the pwm drives the transformer, but I haven't the faintest idea what part is likely to cause the output to almost halve.

Any ideas what I should check?

Here's a photo of the pcb: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Bm...w?usp=drivesdk

Re: 18VDC PSU has dropped to 10v - ZD-915 desoldering station

most likely possible suspects,
    bad caps causing ripple/spikes,
    bad opto isolator
    bad voltage reference - probably marked "431"

Comment

Does E3 look slightly bulged on the top? I would also replace that small electrolytic in the primary circuit
      Last edited by R_J; 07-30-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

ZD-1565 V2 same psu was discussed here: ZD-915 Desoldering Station when on the blink

Comment

I have 6 of these unit

Try this first hook up two 12 volt MR16 50 watt bulbs or (two 1157 automotive light ) in series and see if the power supply is shutting down and restarting

I had one of them that the mosfet had issues with it and was pulling the power supply down
          This is reason for having you check the power supply by it self do not run this power supply with out the heat sink installed you will fry the switching power supply regulator ic chip if you do with a load on it

If it is do the following

The first you need to do is is replace the switching regulator ic chip this is the ic chip that has 5 or 6 pins to it and replace of the capacitors on this board ( I have had to change a few of them before on these units

Look at the switching power supply regulator ic chip it hard to tell in that picture if it has a crack at the top of it or not

as mentioned earlier about the optic sensor ic chip and the voltage reference ic chip it would not hurt to maybe replace that as well or at least check it to make sure it is working correctly or not

The next thing is if you have a lab power supply power the temperature controller board with ( only 12 volts not 18 volts that it normally works at ) with out the Desoldiering Gun hook to the controller board and measure the current of the board it should not be more than 30 or 40 milliamperes if it higher than check the surface mount capacitors on that board for any of them are getting real warm it has happened to me before

Also check the fan controller board and see if it has resistors in it or has an ic chip in it there are two versions of this unit the earlier version and the later version

One note about this switching power supply it claims to able to put out 15 amps me personally it would be lucky on a good day to put out maybe 10 amp with out straining
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

If you are thinking about running this off of another 18 volt switching power supply
            PLEASE read this post first

You can however you need to supply it with + 5 volts and - 5 volts for temperature controller to work right ( this switching power supply does some weird things ) that if you try to run it off of pure 18 volts dc power supply you will have problems if use the setup for the heater controller mosfet and the pump controller mosfet

You can however use a PWM power supply controller and a 3D heater bed controller which has to be modified to work off 3 volts not 12 volts for the optic sensor and use one for each of the heater element and the vacuum pump
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              I have 6 of these unit

Try this first hook up two 12 volt MR16 50 watt bulbs or (two 1157 automotive light ) in series and see if the power supply is shutting down and restarting

I had one of them that the mosfet had issues with it and was pulling the power supply down
              This is reason for having you check the power supply by it self do not run this power supply with out the heat sink installed you will fry the switching power supply regulator ic chip if you do with a load on it

The first you need to do is is replace the switching regulator ic chip this is the ic chip that has 5 or 6 pins to it and replace of the capacitors on this board ( I have had to change a few of them before on these units

Look at the switching power supply regulator ic chip it hard to tell in that picture if it has a crack at the top of it or not

as mentioned earlier about the optic sensor ic chip and the voltage reference ic chip it would not hurt to maybe replace that as well or at least check it to make sure it is working correctly or not

The next thing is if you have a lab power supply power the temperature controller board with ( only 12 volts not 18 volts that it normally works at ) with out the Desoldiering Gun hook to the controller board and measure the current of the board it should not be more than 30 or 40 milliamperes if it higher than check the surface mount capacitors on that board for any of them are getting real warm it has happened to me before

Also check the fan controller board and see if it has resistors in it or has an ic chip in it there are two versions of this unit the earlier version and the later version

One note about this switching power supply it claims to able to put out 15 amps me personally it would be lucky on a good day to put out maybe 10 amp with out straining

Thanks! I'll do those things and post back. The fan box has two resistors inside and the fan is labelled 24v

Comment

Ok it’s working now but i’m not super confident that it’s actually fixed. I reflowed the vref chip, pwm chip, and mosfets, then put it back onto the heat sink with some breakout wires to put a load on it. It worked fine straight away. I did hear a buzzing sound from the transformer for a short while though which was odd..

Comment

maybe it needs soldering or the windings/core are loose.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    maybe it needs soldering or the windings/core are loose.
                    Yeah maybe I'll reflow that too then just see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by phreak97 View Post
                      Yeah maybe I'll reflow that too then just see how it goes

I have a question for you when you use this Desoldiering Gun unit how many hours do you have it on in one session

Because when I use mine it might be on for hours
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

wondering why the soldering gave up so soon ? lead free i guess .

Comment

I have a question for you when you use this Desoldiering Gun unit how many hours do you have it on in one session

Because when I use mine it might be on for hours
                          Usually an hour or so at a time, sometimes more, sometimes less.

The solder failed because it's badly soldered in the first place

Comment

It probably would not hurt to resolder all of solder joints on the power supply board just for good measure yeah I know it a pain in the a** but you might not have any more problems with for a while
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

It probably would not hurt to resolder all of solder joints on the power supply board just for good measure yeah I know it a pain in the a** but you might not have any more problems with for a while
                              Probably not a terrible idea

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                wondering why the soldering gave up so soon ? lead free i guess .
                                lead-free is stronger,
                                these units vibrate when the pump is on, and the soldering may not be great to begin with.

my experience with chinese boards, SMD are great but throughhole can be questionable.
                                probably because SMD boards are machine-assembled and not stuffed & soldered by lines of bored women.

Comment

lead-free is stronger,
                                  these units vibrate when the pump is on, and the soldering may not be great to begin with.

my experience with chinese boards, SMD are great but throughhole can be questionable.
                                  probably because SMD boards are machine-assembled and not stuffed & soldered by lines of bored women.
                                  Stronger yes but more susceptible to cracking with repeated expansion and contraction.

Comment

there is no expansion and contraction in these - they are fan cooled.

Comment

there is no expansion and contraction in these - they are fan cooled.
                                      These are just built poorly.

Comment

I have 6 of these unit

Ok as it is now it works after maybe 10-20 seconds of flashing error/heat and beeping at about 4Hz, seems to be overloading, shutting off, coming back on. Doesn't do it with the gun unplugged. It's making a high pitched noise for a while too, the psu is still not happy. Annoyingly I reassembled it. Do you know the part numbers of the chips and mosfets? If theyre cheap enough I might just shotgun the lot and be done with it. All caps had low esr.

Comment

Working...
                                        X