HP Elitebook 850 G2 MPM Unlock Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitebook 850 G2 MPM Unlock Help

First of all, I hope this is the correct spot for this post. Please let me know if not.

System:
    EliteBook 850 G2
    SKU: L4A27UT#ABA
    System Board ID: 2216

This system somehow had bad information set - It was set to model 840 instead of 850, although the serial number was OK. So I want to update this and have it all correct. To do this i need MPM unlocked so I can run wndmifit and correct the data. I tried with HP, but the unit is out of warranty so they declined to provide an SMC.bin file. Unable to take the easy way it looks like I'll have to go the BIOS mod way. But in the last several days of research, I've not found anything definitive when it comes to MPM unlock. Lots of stuff on PASSWORD unlock, which is NOT my situation. What I've done so far:

Took full dumps of the original BIOS and EC eeproms and verified them
    Took full dumps of a donor 850G2 system BIOS and EC eeproms and verified them

Made various attempts at MPM unlock via BIOS config utility (never successful)
    Try FSMC.bin -> SMC.bin method (fails I guess because UUID is not 0xFF)
    Made an attempt at changing the UUID to 0xFFs (failed, wound up with flashing caps lock - oops!)
    Used 'Easy Intel Clean Me Region Tool' (search YouTube) clean utility on donor BIOS image
    Reflashed with EC and ME cleaned BIOS images from donor system

At this point, the system boots and identifies correctly as 850 G2, and with the info of the donor system (SKU, serial, PCID, etc.). It says it is in 'uncommitted state' but MPM is still locked - which I actually consider progress

Where do I go from here? AFAICT I need to either find and set the MPM lock and counter flags, or at least get the UUID set to 0xFF values so maybe the (renamed) FSMC.bin could be used. I'd kind of prefer to learn this myself, so I'd appreciate some assistance in accomplishing the MPM unlock. I've also attached the current BIOS images if someone wants to do the edits - I'll check the file(s) after. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: HP Elitebook 850 G2 MPM Unlock Help

Reflash back the original dumps main+ec,run mpm,this will get you a config.Text With the dmi data.
    0pen it edit the info that you need to change and keep this file in a safe place you will need it later.
    In the attachements you will find the modified ec and main with new bios and clean me,including also
    the manufacturing program tool.
    Do never use the intel me injector for above the 3rd generation especially for the business units.(Find The
    flash image tool corresponding to the me version,(cleaning this me i used flash_image_tool_v10.0.46.1002).After Booting the laptop,
    let it take its time untill it boots to windows desktop.Here You can run mpm again to write back the modified config.Text
    The modified config.Text.You Have the choice to
    keep the mpm unlocked in the same config.Text If using notepad it's the 62 line,i think.You Can also write the uuid to
    "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff",this will also keep it unlocked.That's All i know,maybe someone else has a better method.
    Good luck.I Really like this" i'd kind of prefer to learn this myself".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by piernov; 12-11-2019, 06:01 PM. Reason: de-capitalize

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply. I will work through this and report back with the results.

Just to make sure I understand correctly what you wish me to do, I'll list it in steps:

1) Reflash original dumps of EC and BIOS (it should hopefully come up again with the original bad info)
      2) Run MPM 'get' from your provided archive to get the original DMI info (which will include serial #, SKU, as well as other BIOS settings)
      3) Edit the config.txt to change the serial number (my original goal), etc.
      4) Flash the NO DMI EC and ME cleaned images
      5) Run MPM again to 'set' the DMI information (with updated serial number, etc., possible UUID to FFs)

Q: Should I be concerned that ME Analyzer show 'unidentifiable ME firmware' on the _EC NO DMI file?

Thanks!

Comment

no the me is already cleaned outimage.bin there is no ME in the ec file.good luck.

Comment

The procedure worked as expected - again, thanks for the files.

What was interesting is that on the first boot, the system was MPM unlocked. After that it rebooted itself several times doing one restore or recovery activity or another (expected). In the end though, it was MPM locked, BUT the 'Product information not valid' error displays, the various fields are empty, and UUID is all FF so FSMC->SMC method gets MPM unlocked and I can edit everything in wndmifit. Cool

With this as something I can fall back on, I will try working through the process of creating a new outimage myself. i will also need to do some more research on the cleaning of the EC firmware.

Thanks again!

Comment

"With this as something I can fall back on, I will try working through the process of creating a new outimage myself. i will also need to do some more research on the cleaning of the EC firmware."

that's the point.happy to help you.

Comment

850 g2 bios dump?powering on and stuck on hp logo not entering bios

Comment

Originally posted by bobans1983 View Post
                850 g2 bios dump?powering on and stuck on hp logo not entering bios
                post the backup of the bios, the original bios of the laptop.
                Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

We have a laptop in a very similar situation. All the DMI stuff is correct, but we locked MPM before doing the ME brand step, so we still have the 'Not in a committed state' warning. Since HP won't give out SMC.bin files any more - I've been researching how to get the laptop into an MPM unlocked state, but not having much luck.

Looking at the EC files in this thread, it looks like the only change in the EC was to clear out all the DMI info (in this case around address 5000-5100) with FF. Does that get you back into MPM mode? Or does that require a tweak to the actual BIOS image (The 16MB outimage which has a lot more changes - I assume the 'ME Cleaning' which I'm still not clear on the purpose of - but still digging)?

Main reason for asking is this laptop (HP ZBook 17 G5) has a BIOS chip we probably can't easily clip onto (the EC we definitely can). So would prefer not to desolder it if possible (plus this is an insanely expensive motherboard)

So if clearing the DMI in the EC image will do the trick after reflashing it, then we can run through the DMI Fit tools and do the brand step like we forgot to do (sigh).

Comment

I actually have one I'm on now where it keeps saying its in a uncommited state. I suspect the previous person removed the bios chip and must have re-flashed the bios with someone elses. From my reading I can't seem to get the mpm unlocked to reprogram the serial numbers etc... Unless I'm doing this wrong?

Comment

I have a very similar issue after purchasing a new replacement motherboard (along with subsequent EC and Main BIOS chips).
                      I stupidly committed early and now have the "warning machine is not in committed state", along with random extended boot/reboot times, fan speeds and certain sensor reading failures (temp, fan speed etc).

I've attempted to modify the "F" x 16 UUID FSMC.bin->SMC.bin by inserting my own UUID in, but obviously the SMC Blob isn't that simple.

I've attempted to locate the meaning of the 1 x 5 digits and 4 x 4 digits at the end of the FSMC.bin file, but so far it eludes me. I think it has something to do with the offsets of the Main BIOS location the UUID is stored in.

The UUID is stored in four locations within the Main BIOS, however the BIOS System Information screen displays the first half of the 16 character UUID differently than it is stored in the BIOS, or even retrieved when using SMBIOS.EFI.

BIOS UUID Location1 x53a82
                      BIOS UUID Location2 x53bbb
                      BIOS UUID Location3 x5493b
                      BIOS UUID Location4 x6520b5

I think my only fix is to get the UUID changed to F x 16, then I can reconfigure everything via wndmifit after using the FSMC.bin->SMC.bin route.

It would be good if I could find a means to change the BIOS bin without breaking out the CH341A programmer, but it seems the encryption mechanism used prevents building the data section easily.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi friends i have this 2 dumps .. full fan speed and no display
                        please can you guys help me check if this dumps are correct THANKS
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bokeboke View Post
                          hi friends i have this 2 dumps .. Full fan speed and no display
                          please can you guys help me check if this dumps are correct thanks
                          Attached Files

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                          Become a Badcaps supporter
                          >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                          Thanks to all supporters.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Re: HP Elitebook 850 G2

Hi!
                            I would like help, I got an Hp 850 G2 for repair. It was a scrapped corporate machine with a bios password. During disposal, the bios chip was removed and shattered. I bought a new chip, I wrote a bios file, more, but the machine does not give a picture, but the fan rotates at high speed. Is there a bios file that works with the machine? MOTHERBOARD: 6050A2560201-MB-A03
                            (So, there is no bios chip and the contents were not saved, but before that a password was set to bios)

Comment

Working...
                            X