Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had issues with Rayovac Alkaline batteries leaking

I have had several issues with batteries leaking what is going on here

I have emailed the company about this issue and I am waiting for and wanting a reply to this issue

Because I have had a Fluke meter FC3000 battery terminal break and I have not yet found a replacement battery terminals for this model I found it for other Fluke meters but I do not know if they are the exact same battery terminals or not

The email that I sent to the company is very detailed about the issue and that meter has been damaged because of this issue and a battery operated kitchen faucet was also had batteries leaking in the battery compartment which I cleaned but if it starts corroding then there is not much that you can do about it and this device is not cheap to replace

I asked them what are they going to do about this issue
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-01-2021, 04:18 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Has anyone had issues with Rayovac Alkaline batteries leaking

Yep last year or the year before I had a pack of AA’s and a pack of AAA’s all start leaking about the same time.

Comment

Those are the same sizes that are leaking for me as well with an expiration date of 2028 and 2029
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Start using low self discharge nimh cells (AA and AAA) in your expensive equipment. Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops are the gold standard, but it's rumored that Ikea Ladda Made in Japan nimh are made in the same factory and specs as Eneloops, but are much cheaper.

I only use Eneloops in all my stuff now for the last 11 years. Zero leaks.

One of my original AA Eneloops has been recharged about 1,500 (not a typo) times over the last 10 years and still holds 1800mAh+ (out of a max rated 2000mAh and min rated 1900mAh).
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Environmental regulations banning mercury in alkaline batteries, means they now off-gas and leak. Bitumen was also used for the seal and may have also been demonized and replaced with something crappy.

For the dollars and hassle, I have changed over to Eneloops (Dell has them on sale sometimes) or Ikea Ladda which also seem to be good. Ladda I don't find them the same as the Eneloops and the lineup was changed this year, but anything is better than leaking Duracells.
          I use vinegar to clean out and neutralize the alkaline potassium hydroxide mess, then a water rinse. I find IPA does not work so good.

There are replacement Fluke battery clips on fleaBay from china; translation called them "schrapnel" for some weird reason. Not sure what the FC3000 uses.

Comment

I did get a reply from my email about issues I am having with there batteries
            They want pictures of the devices in question
            They want pictures of batteries in question
            They want the pictures of damage to the devices in question
            They want pictures of the sale invoice or a link for the device from a company website
            They want to know what the device is used for
            And requesting to me not to continue to use the batteries in question

I have sent them the information request that they are asking for
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

You need to know how much damage was done in dollars.
              I went through the process with Duracell and they freaked out with the dollar value of the multimeter. They don't know what to do when it's not a cheap flashlight or kid's toy or TV remote control. Expensive gear they think you are trying to rip them off instead of understanding cheap batteries can be in expensive situations.

A lawsuit about leaking Duracell batteries as false-advertising, did not work unfortunately. I recently read California 4/2016 "A federal judge threw out a lawsuit accusing Procter & Gamble Co PG.N of misleading consumers by guaranteeing that Duracell batteries would not fail for 10 years, when in fact the batteries might leak when used or stored normally."
              "Judge Koh said reasonable consumers would understand that P&G's representation that the batteries were “guaranteed for 10 years in storage” was a warranty to repair, replace or refund batteries that failed within that timeframe, and not a promise that the batteries “have no potential to leak.”
              "She also said in her 33-page decision that the complaint did not identify any cause, including any design or manufacturing defect, as to why the batteries might leak."

She didn't do a thing about damages. It's just stupid- all you'd get is replacement batteries and have no consequences to making junk product that leaks.

Comment

i have had fucking duracell's leak while still sealed in the bubble-pack!!
                i wouldnt guarantee them for 10 months!

Comment

Then is just bunch of crap and the guarantee does not mean shit so what do you do if nicad batteries do not work correctly in certain devices

Yeah you can buy 1.5 volt Li-Ion batteries but how do you good ones from bad ones

Because alkaline batteries are becoming more expensive and not lasting long enough anymore

Because I have a lot device that takes AAA and AA batteries
                  The AA batteries have the Li-Ion more options
                  The AAA batteries have the less Li-Ion options
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-02-2021, 07:18 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

you buy cheap $ store alk's because anything beats durasell and keep an eye on them.

OR

you look at other technologies,
                    or you can use AA or AAA size lithiums and adapt the device.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      i have had fucking duracell's leak while still sealed in the bubble-pack!!
                      i wouldnt guarantee them for 10 months!
                      I've seen them leak while they were still on store shelves.

During one of their many marketing troll renaming stunts (selling a "longer lasting" model that was identical to the standard model), they switched to a cardboard box with a tiny window on the front, so you couldn't see them leaking until you opened the box. I think I posted about one of those packages having every single battery leaking inside it.

For poorly-designed products that don't work with NiMH batteries, I've heard that the Energizer lithium batteries are better, but I have seen them leak. The leaking ones were past the use-by date, so that could probably be excused.

Comment

the only alkaline that didn't leak even after 18 years not were made by Maxell. Like others, I switched from alkaline batteries over to eneloop, duraloop, fujitu, whatever eneloop rebrand made in japan and I don't look back.

Comment

I am looking for 1.5 volt buck converter but have not had much finding any that have a small board

Can anyone please help me with this

Also who makes a good 14650 or 14500 battery I would prefer that they were made in Japan li-ion batteries
                          4.2 volts
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-02-2021, 07:23 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i have bucks that can go atleast down to 1.8v - you could try messing with the resistor values on one.
                            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32842409405.html

i use these a lot - the pads match the pinout of a 78xx linear regulator

Comment

I use these Anyvolts:

https://www.robotshop.com/en/dimensi...regulator.html

Comment

RayOVac's in Fluke 189. See

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...attery-leaked/
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  you buy cheap $ store alk's because anything beats durasell and keep an eye on them.

OR

you look at other technologies,
                                  or you can use AA or AAA size lithiums and adapt the device.
                                  Confirmed.
                                  duracell is pure garbage, they piss before expiring.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    Thanks for sharing this post with there issue with this meter and batteries

I have used these batteries in the past but I have noticed that they did last as long when I bought the second set of them a year or so later so I do not know if it is a quality issue or not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19340678632...QAAOSwn2legbsX
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-03-2021, 07:23 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

those batteries, big clive did a teardown of the Jugee branded ones - very interesting products!

there are also NiZN batteries - i think thats the chemicals anyway - they run at 1.5v but not many chargers support them.

Comment

I have bought the NiZN brand before and the first set of them were very good quality but when I bought them again the quality was not there anymore but I see that are some other brands making them I might give them a try again and see if they are any good or not

KENTLI Batteries AA 1.5V 3000mWh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery + Charger I have bought these batteries before also and the first set lasted me about two years with medium use and my son used them in his X Box PlayStation remote all the time but when I went to buy another set of them the quality was not there anymore and not worth the money either

But I see other brands that are having the same concept so I might give them a try and see if they are any better in quality or not
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-04-2021, 12:04 AM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X