Recommend good gaming vid card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend good gaming vid card

Currently have a ati 7700hd bought in 2013/ Time for a upgrade. Whats out there for like 100-150? Whats your thoughts and opinions?

Still can run games like Mad Max and such, but want better. Fallout 5 is a little sluggish!

Re: Recommend good gaming vid card

For 100-150 is not a lot to work with. You'll have to shop around for GTX 950 or R7 360 (or 370) You'll be able to get one on sale or with a rebate in your price range.

The card above is mid range and entry level, but if you want a card to last awhile spend the extra on the card, get a gtx 960/970/1070 or amd R9 200/300 series, but don't spend more than $300, I like to buy whatever is around $250.

The last purchased card I have is GTX 670. I spent $369 on it but it was in a bundle, the card itself at the time was between $220-270, right now I have no need to upgrade since my hardware is able to handle everything thrown at it.

Comment

Ok thanks. Im bidding on a R9 right now, but its supposedly not outputting on div. Gonna gamble 30 bucks and hope its just a bad port. Also all I need is hdmi anyway and this has a dual bios switch. So perhaps he didnt have it set to legacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
        For 100-150 is not a lot to work with. You'll have to shop around for GTX 950 or R7 360 (or 370) You'll be able to get one on sale or with a rebate in your price range.
        With the GTX 1060 and RX 480 out now the "old" GTX 960s and R9 380s are being heavily discounted (and will likely only continue to be discounted more when the supply of the new cards improves), and can often be had for around $150 with a sale/rebate. For the $200-250 range it is definitely worth getting a GTX 1060 or RX 480, they offer a substantial performance improvement over the previous cards, but you likely will have to wait a few weeks for supply to stabilize they are pretty much sold out or marked up right now.

Comment

If your mobo is compatible , Why not go for a sli dual VGA like 2 Nvidia GTX 630 within this 150$ ?.. If each is equipped with 4gb ddr3 on board rams , they will put lot of difference in your system .

Comment

What about Directx? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can't use 12 with windows 7 or maybe it was my motherboard, I remember something saying it was incompatible?
            sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
              What about Directx? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can't use 12 with windows 7 or maybe it was my motherboard, I remember something saying it was incompatible?
              That's fairly true . The last compatible Directx for Win7 was Directx 9 . But few games will ask about more than that . The more serious problem is if he has a 32 bit system , then he will face lot of trouble with the newer games that are only compatible with 64 bit systems .

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                If your mobo is compatible , Why not go for a sli dual VGA like 2 Nvidia GTX 630 within this 150$ ?.. If each is equipped with 4gb ddr3 on board rams , they will put lot of difference in your system .
                Don't waste money on SLI or crossfire setup, I've done it, you have to wait for driver support, and hope that the games developed actually utilize SLI or crossfire, I only saw a marginal improvement, was not worth getting the extra card just to do that. Multi-monitor yeah sure, but for pure performance nah.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                That's fairly true . The last compatible Directx for Win7 was Directx 9 . But few games will ask about more than that . The more serious problem is if he has a 32 bit system , then he will face lot of trouble with the newer games that are only compatible with 64 bit systems .
                DX11 is supported on Windows 7, DX12 is not supported on Windows 7, it was MicroSHIT's gimmick to force you to 10.

who da fuck still runs 32 bit processors?

Comment

Erm....no. It's Directx 11 for Windows 7.

Comment

Just get one of these bad boys and be done. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/...ble-august-2nd

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                      Don't waste money on SLI or crossfire setup, I've done it, you have to wait for driver support, and hope that the games developed actually utilize SLI or crossfire, I only saw a marginal improvement, was not worth getting the extra card just to do that. Multi-monitor yeah sure, but for pure performance nah.

I think you should correct your infos . SLI , Although can take multi-monitor and other related technologies , but that's not its real purpose ..
                      Its strength is , it split virtually one only monitor to two equal parts . The Top one and bottom one , meaning each VGA Will deal with half a picture at one sequence , hence doubling performance and speed .

Notice Professor that i recommended NVIDIA , Hence SLI and not ATI , hence crossfire , because NVIDIA support is very efficient , dealing with drivers . You only need to order an update for your VGA and the rest is on their shoulders ..

DX11 is supported on Windows 7, DX12 is not supported on Windows 7, it was MicroSHIT's gimmick to force you to 10.
                      Those are not official and from independent sources . Use them at your own risk .

who da fuck still runs 32 bit processors?
                      Very few are the processors not compatible 64 bit . 99% Of the new processors are compatible 64bit and 32 bit , you only have to degrade your version , that's all ..

Comment

Jiroy, perhaps it's you that should update yours. There is no doubling of speed with SLI or Crossfire, yes some games show an improvement but no where near double. DX11 is native to Windows 7. In fact its DX11.1 that is the latest version for Windows 7 from Microsoft.

Comment

SLI is out of the question. Im using almost 10 year old asus c2q board. I built the system and its very fast according to benchies compared to i7's!!! Not far off. So Im not ready to upgrade just yet. But do want better vid card since Im getting back into gaming.

Thanks for all the insight. Im looking into a r9 280 with 2gb ram. Plus I'm bidding on the supposed broken one as well!

Also hell no...im not spending 1200 for a titan lol. I went down that road in 05 and bought a BFG 6800 OC for 400. Card only got a few years out of before I upgraded to the age old classic 8800gt!
                          Last edited by ozzy214; 07-22-2016, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                            Jiroy, perhaps it's you that should update yours. There is no doubling of speed with SLI or Crossfire, yes some games show an improvement but no where near double. DX11 is native to Windows 7. In fact its DX11.1 that is the latest version for Windows 7 from Microsoft.

Diff . I follow these things on daily basis and at this point i can tell you seeing your insisting that Win7 only partially supports directx 10 and DirectX 11.1 and only if you meet many other requirements.
                            Like i've said earlier the last directx officially compatible without any restrictions or limitations whatsoever is officially directx 9 , and that's why i said use newer at your own risk .

About SLI , I hope you reread my previous post carefully and re-give me your comment about each VGA dealing with half a picture at a time ?

Comment

The only requirements for DirectX 11 are a supported graphics card, which a new one will be and a PC that supports Windows 7.
                              And no, it's not double performance and if you read about it daily you'd know there are two ways SLI can render. Just because the load is split does not mean it is double the performance. There are many many benchmarks on the internet to prove it.

Comment

The only requirements for DirectX 11 are a supported graphics card, which a new one will be and a PC that supports Windows 7.
                                And no, it's not double performance and if you read about it daily you'd know there are two ways SLI can render. Just because the load is split does not mean it is double the performance. There are many many benchmarks on the internet to prove it.
                                diif . You and I are professionals , common people aren't .. 90% of common people doesn't know what is a VGA , and 99% will find themselves with problems in not compatible Audi devices as well dozens of other related items . so i was honest and fair saying DX9 is safe and my recommendation . I don't want anyone cursing me for not warning him , so take it easy and understand how i think ..

I saw many benchmarks for SLI on the net , but , fortunately at my own shop , i did tests also . My last sell was an MSI XLS99 With 64 GB Rams DDR4 And CPU I7 extreme 15 mb cache , plus two ssds kingstone , and of course two NVIDIA SLI , the total cost was about 3000 $ , (I'm ready to give you all the specifications in details if you want ) , and i did my own tests with one VGA as well with two and there is total difference , at least in Adobe Premiere Pro ..

Comment

I'm not disputing there is a difference but it's not double and you were talking about split frame rendering which gives poorer results than alternative frame rendering.

I'd have gone with Samsung or Intel SSDs not Kingston on such a pricey build.

Comment

I'm not disputing there is a difference but it's not double and you were talking about split frame rendering which gives poorer results than alternative frame rendering.

I'd have gone with Samsung or Intel SSDs not Kingston on such a pricey build.
                                    Frankly , and like i've said earlier in one another thread , no RPM's programs could measure exactly the speeds of such a beast system , and i said also that many of those programs drew falsely some weird displays outside their known range , but , i'm sure there are many parameters that could suffocate SLI performance on weaker desktops , maybe older boards cannot benefit from whole related extensions ..

About SSD i have one SSD Intel in one of my laptops (hp 15) , and yes , Intels are better than kingston by far , but , the customer was a stubborn , lol , and he was trying to lower the final price anyway . Our first discussion on building this system , i offered him a free Printer if he accept going for the full 128 GB DDR4 , because it was something personal . i wanted to see what such power is capable of ..He accepted and later on changed his mind , and the printer went free ...

Comment

Novabench wouldn't work ?
                                      You compared one of the cards to two in SLI. What you should have done is benchmarked against a card costing the same as the SLI. Then you would see the little difference.
                                      What were the cards out of interest ?

Comment

Novabench wouldn't work ?
                                        You compared one of the cards to two in SLI. What you should have done is benchmarked against a card costing the same as the SLI. Then you would see the little difference.
                                        What were the cards out of interest ?
                                        No , i didn't try this one , i don't have it . Most of what i have are free and couldn't give the wanted ranges .. I Relayed primarily on testing a rendered wedding , a full one with lot of applied effects and batches , built in Adobe premiere pro .. I can say fairly that the time was cut by half .

About NVIDIA , And due to the budget limitations , we went for two SLI NVIDIA MSI 730 GT , Each one equipped with 4 GB Rams on board .

Comment

Working...
                                        X