No announcement yet.

Firefox will not display ebay properly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firefox will not display ebay properly.

I just have to say one thing - Firefox 12/Windows 2000 still works with eBay! Paypal on the other hand causes the browser to hang. I just want to say one thing however, accessing eBay is not recommended on a Pentium 3 unless you want to sit there watching a spinning loading animation for five minutes per page! If for whatever reason you haven't got AdBlock, hurry up and install it because eBay is chock full of ads that have nothing to do with eBay itself.

Comment

I went back to 49.........50+ absolutely blows chunks.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I just upgraded to the newer ESR (52.x; Linux) series. Dangit they keep changing the UI.
        No problems detected.

Comment

I use several versions of Firefox Portable. That way, I can have different versions of Firefox "installed" (but not running) at the same time.

For the most part, I still use FF 24. eBay pages display fine for me (and that's on an old Pentium 4 PC with 1.25 GB of RAM, 80 GB mechanical clunker HDD, and Windows XP). Occasionally, I do get a random eBay page with a bug or two (i.e. lots of space between the beginning and end of a listing, or a listing not wrapping properly)... but I've spent A TON of time on eBay in the last year, and considering the number of auctions I have viewed, I would say eBay has been running just fine for me.

I also occasionally use FF 42 or other 40+ version on the same and other PCs. And again, I haven't had any problems with eBay.

Worth mentioning is that my FF browsers are set to delete history and browsing data upon exiting the program. Not sure if that helps anything... but it might. I also have ABP installed, as well as a custom HOSTS file for additional ad blocking.
          Last edited by momaka; 06-17-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I've noticed that in FF and WF 51 and up, load time is stupid long. Loads the window quickly....then will herk & jerk for a good 30~45 seconds before it unfucks itself....does this on a variety of systems & configs. Quite annoying.
            LMAO!
            It's been doing this in linux as well. Ubuntu, arch, fedora and so on, same problem, all firefox.

Recently I've switched to chromium. I noticed firefox getting slower and slower for the past year, like you say the page herk & jerks until unfucking. I disabled all add-ons/extensions, went to safe mode, same thing. Even opening FF which is installed on SSD, takes about 5-10 seconds before it opens.
            I installed chromium and noticed a night and day difference, everything loads fast, doesn't even hesitate when I open chromium. It didn't take much time to personalize it to what I had set up in FF. Speed dial 2, scriptsafe, autoscroll. Very happy with it.

Firefox is shit, try another browser.

Comment

I just upgraded my atom 1.6 (2GB RAM) to firefox 52. Wow is this thing slow, browser is really chunky when pulling up ebay on the other tab... works, but molassas slow while doing the initial render. After the page is pulled in, it scrolls OK.

Comment

yeah the requirements get higher past 50 and so on. I have 64-bit 54.0.1 with no problems at all. But I also have 16GB, and i7, but a regular drive
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Fortunately the Atom has an SSD. Not the fastest one but no seek time.

I have to compile for the Atom so it actually uses atom instructions to speed things up, the stock binaries actually perform notably worse (only a few percent but noticeable. I run Gentoo Linux so recompiling is the way of life.)

My (old) i7 I don't sense any change however, except the GUI for Firefox 52. So far the compile time isn't too bad (helped out by the ssd), but I hear 54 is going to be bad because it requires a whole new compiler to be built... uuuggghhh.... my poor Atom will suffer even with distcc helping out.

Comment

Working...
                  X