This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi I'm Ilir from Germany im Work as a Technican.

I have a good Knowledge in this area, i hope to help anyone and anyone can help me too.

I have a know-how in Mainboards and Macs Logicboards.

cheers

Comment

Hi, my name is Kevin and Im from Waterford MI-Surprise. Im really looking forward to all the info available from the experts on this board and sharing experiences with troubleshooting and repairs. I feel that i can fix anything but sometimes need some guidance

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and quite honestly trying to repair my mother's TV. I know very little about electronics but, I have more time than money so, i'm giving it a shot.
        I've searched this forum before and found some answers. This time I haven't run across an answer to my problem so, I thought i'd join the forum and solicit your help. I have a Magnavox 32" that originally wouldn't accept channel programming. I hooked the tv to DVD player and got perfect sound and picture. This led me to believe that the cable port was fried and unable to read information. Im not a micro solder kind of guy so, I decided to change that complete board that the cable connection was attached to (the smaller comp board in the set). Once this was done everything worked except the programming instructions as well as picture shows "upside down" ! Any suggestions? I'm thinking its some kind of reprogramming issue. The original board didn't cause that. I never got to an actual picture with original board but the setup instruction prompts were right-side up. I can't think of anything that I would have fooled with to cause this. Help please.

Comment

We are a business in Florida that repairs mainly TV's. I also repair video arcade machines and pinballs as a hobby, and sell them at my shop. I have over 20 years of experience and hope to help out where I can gain some new tips.

Originally posted by Redfish View Post
          original board didn't cause that. I never got to an actual picture with original board but the setup instruction prompts were right-side up. I can't think of anything that I would have fooled with to cause this. Help please.
          Redfish - you will want to make a thread outside of your introduction I imagine - I don't think people look here to answer questions. I can tell you that a lot of shops probably do that repair for less than you paid the main board - at my shop we charge $70 and most 32" mag main boards I find for $70+ shipping (my cost). It may be easiest for you to return that part, and get a tech to replace your cable connector.

Comment

I am from MI and do small time repair jobs on equipment. Have most needed tools but a esr meter.
            This site is great and has alot of good info, so thanks so much.

Comment

Hi, I'm Ben.

Really I'm just an information junkie, and a DIY kind of guy. I'm not nearly as seasoned as some users on these forums. I first got into computers with windows 3.1, and the first computer I owned was a beastly 333mhz machine running windows 98.

I'm into fixing everything, but some things just need that bit of expertise that I don't have. I hope to find what I need here and look forward to learning more and eventually helping others out as well.

Comment

Hello from Muskogee Oklahoma USA.
                Jerry James age 69 trying to retire from owning Jerry James Service Company for 40 yrs.

TV, VCR, DVD, PC, CB, FM, Security, MATV, CATV, CCTV, Appliance, Tower erection and antenna service. Just too many hats to name.

Retired music and youth minister to boot. Member of SCM singing churchmen of Oklahoma.

I once thought that I knew and could do almost anything. Had a motto when I was younger. "THE DIFFICULT WE DO RIGHT NOW---THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A LITTLE LONGER"

My motto no is "THE DIFFICULT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIX IN TIME----THE IMPOSSIBLE I JUST LEAVE UP TO GOD!

Comment

Thanks for all of your help

I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, but I'm hoping that reading the posts on this forum, and others, will help me better understand how these circuits work. I've repaired a number of pieces of electronic equipment by either simply finding bad solder joints, replacing bulging capacitors, or reading on forums, such as this one.

As the circuits get more complicated, it's getting harder to just open up the case and find the problem, but it appears that many of these issues boil down to a few touchy parts and that's why Badcaps.net is so helpful, your experts have eliminated 99% of the work, and can point us at the few troubled components that need to be tested or replaced.

Thanks for all of your help...now back to trouble shooting.

Comment

Hey all.. newbie from Bush AK. Being from a rural area have to learn how to fix a lot of stuff, mainly mechanical stuff. Good thing I have the internet for all other fix-it solutions.

Married with kids (one is college), we're just finally getting our winter here (cooler weather and dusting of snow). I'm really, really ready for winter after a prolonged, wet fall.

Just recently had a problem with my Samsung TV bought in fall of '09 and found this site after some searching for possible solutions. Hoping to get my TV working cheaply instead of shelling out most of my Christmas shopping money.

Comment

HI my name is Matthew I have been working with computer and radios for 10 years.
                      I started looking around on this forum a week ago because I am doing a full recap on 2 of my CB/HAM radios... I hope to fined the info I need
                      thanks

Comment

Hello Everyone..!

Name : Klavs Rommedahl
                        Birth : 03 September 1966
                        Place : Copenhagen, Denmark

I am married and have a son from 2008, I am educated as electronic engineer, had done a lot of "old fashion" ampilfiers and power supplys but only just started on SW. I general my interrests is within digital electronics and computers. I love to develope :-).
                        At the moment i am seeking a job, but have been working as PCB designer for 8 years using Cadence Allegro, IPL and Altium. Before that i was working 9 years as IT supporter in the danish A.P.Molle group.
                        That must be it for now :-).

Sincerely
                        Klavs.

Comment

Hi all. In here for some help!!!

Comment

Hi everyone I'm Andy and I'm a newbie to monitor repair. Hope to learn from everyone here.

Comment

Hi, I'm Ben. I'm loving the information this forum has so far, but need a little bit more help... Looking forward to learning more about TV repair!

Comment

Hello, I am a new member from Marshall, Texas. I use to have a TV repair shop about 11 or 12 years ago and I have started to repair some on the side now. I'm getting close to retirement and wanted something to keep me busy. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all in the future. CB (That is my real name. I just have initials only.)

Comment

Greetings All.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                  As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                  So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                  where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                  Greetings all. I'm Tdeco. I've been in the consumer and professional electronics repair business for about 40 years. Started off in a mom and pop repair shop that did warranty for just about anything. This was back in 1971-72. Sony was just becoming a competitor in the television industry! Anyway, worked for good ole Montgomery Ward for a few years, and back then, they cross trained a tech on everything, so I became a fairly decent vacuum, outboard motor, sewing machine and chainsaw tech, along with repairing TV's, stereos, tape decks...etc. After that I moved into pro-audio repairs and that lasted a few years. Finally opened up our own place in 1993 and recently retired. We did the TV, VCR, compact disc/stereo repairs. It put food on the table and we had fun until it was time to slow down. Now, I guess it's in the blood because I'm back at it again, but in a very low keyed way. Maybe one set a month, just to keep my mind happy! I know a little about computers and have some stock items. I also have all my test equipment, parts and accessories from our business that I'm eventually going to get rid of. I even have some of the old SAMS photofact books of CB radios somewhere. I also am still a warranty station for Fender Musical Instruments. That's it folks. Needing to rack your brains on some current items I need help with so hopefully you're willing to share your wealth of knowledge. Thanks for having me and hopefully I can offer some help too.

Comment

Hello everyone! I joined this forum to learn about electronics, and to get help repairing a monitor.

Comment

Hey all, my name is jason and I really like the site and want to be involved. I am 37.

Comment

Hello again I am hoping to be able to post and am not allowed yet. I have a bad M-Audio EX-66 studio monitor I need help with.

Comment

Hi all. Paul here, novice when it comes to understanding the lingo and what every electronic part does, but I'm learning as things fail I fix them. This begins my quest for knowledge and understanding on what I'm going to fix and what it does. I've learned to fix my own truck, car, van and now that they are running good, I have to now fix my cheap TV. I think it is the CAP's that have let me down after inspection.... I will hopefully soon post my full question/problem, and follow up with what I did to fix it. My first computer was only a 386 and I miss it now. I wish I had windows95 still as I have games that I cannot play anymore which makes me sad.

Comment

Working...
                                          X