X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Latest 8-core Project

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Nice upgrade!

Indeed the Quadro M4000 isn't that power hungry (only 120 Watts TDP, which these days is considered as "pocket change" in terms of power use), but still considerably more than the Quadro NVS510's measly 35W TDP.

Of course, since you aren't doing any gaming or serious rendering, I imagine that M4000 will be idlying most of them time... which means around 30-50W power use maybe. Whereas the NVS510 was probably running to at least 50% load due to those IP cameras, if not more... and very likely using 25-30W. Thus, the difference in power consumption likely won't be that much, indeed. But on the positive side, now you have a card with much more "headroom" than before (should you ever want to run, say, 2-3x more cameras than now. ) Either way, whatever you do, it's probably not a good idea to push that M4000 card to high loads. 120W TDP for a single-slot cooler solution... yeah, it's gonna run quite hot. Probably 80-90C at full tilt, and loud too. But for desktop use, it should be more than alright.

Anyways, PC specs still look great. Has it really already been 7 years since you've built this? Gee, time flies! Well, here's to another 7 then:
    For what it's worth, the NVS510 didn't go to waste....my DVR needed a GPU, and this one is perfect. It doesn't strain a bit with all the IP camera feeds when only driving one monitor.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Well, it happened this morning....one of my 27" monitors shit the bed.... The panel went bad (common for the Dell 2709W), so no fix....it's been deteriorating for some time now. I saw this coming, and had a backup plan.....

Say hello to 3x Dell u3011's, 2560x1600 16:10 monitors. I bargain hunted for a long time....I've got less than $400 in all these, screens are flawless. I was worried these would be too overwhelming for the desk....but after setting them up & tweaking, I should have done this long ago!
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Be careful - you might get some serious computer tan now!

The monitor on the left looks barely on the edge of the desk, though.
        Next up: bigger desk upgrade?

BTW, often there are quite a few really nice solid wood "executive office" desks for dirt cheap (sometimes even free) on my local CL, as there are a lot of gvmnt/admin offices in the area. If only you were closer.
        Last edited by momaka; 03-25-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          one of my 27" monitors shit the bed.... The panel went bad (common for the Dell 2709W), so no fix
          So they're cheap like those Sharp 70-inch'ers! You said "common", so I think it's safe to say bad like Sharp, not too long before Hisense bought their TV division, IIRC.

It makes me sick to get word about that happening with a Dell computer monitor! I'm used to getting word at badcaps.net, about failures with TVs, OTOH. (the ones with a tuner) Or Core 2-era LCD monitors with bad caps.

Except for bad CCFLs or the like, of course, for earlier LCDs.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-26-2019, 05:19 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I got to my office this morning, fired this system up as usual....POST roll halted @ SAS init, saying a drive was missing from the 600gb RAID10 (4x 300gb Cheetah 15k RPM SAS).....sure enough, one had died. It boots just fine on the degraded array, I didn't have another HDD on hand to swap it out....so I'm runnin' on 3 at the moment....got another on the way....but redundancy saves the day!!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Curious to read more about the dead 300 GB Cheetah HDD. Is it clicking? Or just not recognized? I wonder if the Seagate server HDDs have the same problem with their head amp contacts oxidizing like the desktop lines do, and if there is a slim chance that might restore yours. I just cleaned and tinned the boards on 4 different Seagate models, ranging as old as the 7200.10 era and as new as the SV35 series. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have helped any of them, though. Half of those have bad sectors and click very unpleasantly once in a while, while the other two appear and read/write OK, but can't pass a thorough surface test. All high-hour count HDDs with low power cycle count. In my experience, Seagate HDDs like it the other way around: high power cycle count and low hours - at least the desktop models anyways. Seems after 20-40k POH, they start to act up.

Comment

It's a 15k.5. It was making some weird whining noises, like it was only partially spun up to speed (maybe a bearing failed). It was not clicking. Controller showed it, but as 'failed'. I didn't even bother looking at the SMART data.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Speaking about HDDs, on Western Digital HDDs, I'm noticing what looks like a lot of corrosion!

Looks like corrosion, even on Blacks, too!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Speaking about HDDs, on Western Digital HDDs, I'm noticing what looks like a lot of corrosion!

Looks like corrosion, even on Blacks, too!
                    Low quality contact pads..... Remove the interface boards from the drives and take an eraser to the contact pads if they're corroding. Your HDD will thank you for it. WD is bad about this.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Low quality contact pads..... Remove the interface boards from the drives and take an eraser to the contact pads if they're corroding. Your HDD will thank you for it. WD is bad about this.
                      How the feck can I stop that corrosion? I saw that the corrosion is particularly bad, at least on Western Digital HDDs since circa-2010!

Then I looked at one of my Seagate Barracuda HDDs from roughly the same time and it looks like they hardly corrode, if at all!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

How the feck can I stop that corrosion? I saw that the corrosion is particularly bad, at least on Western Digital HDDs since circa-2010!

Then I looked at one of my Seagate Barracuda HDDs from roughly the same time and it looks like they hardly corrode, if at all!
                        I typically put a dab of non-conductive dielectric grease on them, it stops the corrosion dead. Do this for the motor & head interface on the underside of the PCB (it has to be removed from the drive).
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

WD is bad about this.
                          Yup, anything made after the RoHS era is like that.
                          Seagate is not any better either, though.

+1 for the pencil eraser trick. I do that to clean the contacts first.

Either what TC suggested with the contact grease.
                          -OR-
                          If you are a solder monkey - coat the pads with leaded (Pb) solder. That's what I do all the time now. Just don't apply too much solder. It only needs a thin coating on there. Afterwards, clean with IPA to get rid of solder flux, as that can make the contacts non-conductive - obviously not what you'd want to happen.
                          Last edited by momaka; 12-30-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

IIRC some of the 7200.11 Seagates can be brought back from the dead with a USB serial adapter. I myself have made one from a Nokia USB cable (DKU-5) and have saved several Seagates.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

I got to my office this morning, fired this system up as usual....POST roll halted @ SAS init, saying a drive was missing from the 600gb RAID10 (4x 300gb Cheetah 15k RPM SAS).....sure enough, one had died. It boots just fine on the degraded array, I didn't have another HDD on hand to swap it out....so I'm runnin' on 3 at the moment....got another on the way....but redundancy saves the day!!
                              This happened again this morning, another Cheetah HDD checked out, that's the second of the original 4. The first one I replaced with a used one (the one that failed this time was not the same one)...but I didn't have another to replace it, and you can't find these new anymore anyway..... I did have 4x 300GB 15k 128mb cache 2.5" SAS new-in-baggie (hitachi IIRC). Mounted on WD icetrays, they slip right into the SM 3.5" caddies, and away I go. Used clonezilla (saw the RAID arrays)...cloned, and done. The old clumsy 8yr old drives are phased out. the 2.5" are also faster and silent. Win! Anything to keep this system limping along a little longer....since I'm still getting Win7 updates for another year. I actually have a replacement for this system simmering on the back burner.....if anyone remembers that M6000 incident....
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

This happened again this morning, another Cheetah HDD checked out, that's the second of the original 4.
                                Same type of failure on the HDD?? (bad bearing and HDD making excessive bearing noise??)

Curious what fails on these server-grade HDDs.

With the desktop models... particularly 7200.10, 11, 12, and anything onwards, it seems to be a combination of bad surface, head wear, and bearing wear. As stated previously, seems that desktop Seagate HDDs don't like high power-on hours. Power-cycle them daily when PC is not in use, and they tend to last a lot longer in terms of years (but not POH.)

I did have 4x 300GB 15k 128mb cache 2.5" SAS new-in-baggie (hitachi IIRC). Mounted on WD icetrays, they slip right into the SM 3.5" caddies, and away I go. Used clonezilla (saw the RAID arrays)...cloned, and done. The old clumsy 8yr old drives are phased out. the 2.5" are also faster and silent. Win! Anything to keep this system limping along a little longer....since I'm still getting Win7 updates for another year.
                                Nice!
                                I like Hitachi HDDs. They seem to be pretty reliable for the most part. Only the older 500G 2.5" laptop models weren't so great. But apart from those, I have seen many Hitachi with 100k POH.

I actually have a replacement for this system simmering on the back burner.....if anyone remembers that M6000 incident....

Comment

Same type of failure on the HDD?? (bad bearing and HDD making excessive bearing noise??)

Curious what fails on these server-grade HDDs.
                                  This one just went dead. No spin-up, no communication with the interface (can't even read SMART data). At first, I thought the SAS port went until I tried the drive on a different port with the same result.

With the desktop models... particularly 7200.10, 11, 12, and anything onwards, it seems to be a combination of bad surface, head wear, and bearing wear. As stated previously, seems that desktop Seagate HDDs don't like high power-on hours. Power-cycle them daily when PC is not in use, and they tend to last a lot longer in terms of years (but not POH.)
                                  I didn't check their POH hours when pulling them....but it's been 8yrs running 24/7/365 the first 6 years. About 2yrs ago I started shutting it off at night, so it runs ~10hrs/day now.
                                  Nice!
                                  I like Hitachi HDDs. They seem to be pretty reliable for the most part. Only the older 500G 2.5" laptop models weren't so great. But apart from those, I have seen many Hitachi with 100k POH.

I'm happy with them so far. I got them for $11.00/drive, that's one nice thing about SAS...not many things support them....not a lot of demand. I run them in a RAID10, that's 600gb. Plenty of storage. I keep large storage on the NAS, so massive storage isn't needed on workstations.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                  X