Obscure power supply replacement suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure power supply replacement suggestions

I need recommendations for replacements for this power supply. It is a Seasonic SSF-160U1. It is 160 watt, open frame and has a 24 pin ATX & 4 pin +12v connector. It needs to fit inside of a 1U server chassis (WatchGuard Firebox firewall). The original is discontinued and I need a source of reliable new replacements. Cost is not really a factor, but ideally the replacements should be less than $150-200 each.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Re: Obscure power supply replacement suggestions

What about an internal ITX PSU? It just looks to be standard ATX plugs.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I think Sunpower makes some, like the PX-6160A1, What about repairng them? or are they just missing from the units
      Last edited by R_J; 01-08-2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I have considered ITX. I actually purchased one of these to try: https://www.fspgroupusa.com/ecommerc...guru-250w.html

But it required modifying the modifying the AC input which I would like to avoid. So I thought I would ask here.

As for repair, that would be nice but there some issues at play. While these are nice power supplies (they even have UCC KY series caps not the usual crap caps), they are covered in glue that is turning conductive and causing them to malfunction. Removing the glue is difficult since the components are tightly packed. And soldering on them is also proving difficult since the PCB seems to have a heavy duty conductive layer that takes a lot of heat to solder unlike run of the mill junk power supplies. The one in in the picture I actually sent in for repair and it took the guy over two months to work on it before sending it back still malfunctioning.

Comment

I have another old watchguard 1U firewall, its cooling solution was just not designed well and the psu failed due to overheating (heat exasperating capacitor failure).

Yeah this PSU's PCB is a 2-layer board. Ouch. Makes it that much harder to work on.

Comment

You probably just need a decent solder extraction system for working on these boards, I mean not sure what soldering system you are using but through hole plated double sided boards can have quite a high thermal mass. I work on quite a few of these types of boards and with the right soldering system its often easier to remove components to break up and remove glue etc. If you have a lot of these to rework or anticipate such then a decent solder extraction system will pay for itself quickly.

Comment

Working...
            X