Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp 70 led t - LC-70UD27U - 2-5 error

Hi

I've read several similar posts in regards to sharp tv's showing this error (2 long, 5 short). Many lean towards faulty, tcon, driver or the actual panel.

This is what I have tested so far and i'm leaning towards a bad tcon (please let me know if that's the case). I have 4 cables from the tcon connecting to the panel. If I remove the 3rd one (looking from the back, counting left to right), the error goes away and the tv turns on (with white on the left side and displaying on the right side, although the picture i'm posting just shows back).

Any other combination of the connections with the 3rd cable connected will give me the error.

The ONLY time that it doesn't give me the error is when the 3rd cable is disconnected.

let me know if I'm on the right path in regards to a faulty tcon board.

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Sharp 70 led t - LC-70UD27U - 2-5 error

you need to post pictures of the entire bottom edge board(s) on the side that is of your focus (ie the one related to the removed tcon cable that allows no error). The picture that you post only show a bit.

Comment

by disconnecting CN3, you removed the load of the defect t-CON, IC800 as its the main supplier. start with measure the ESR of the 3 caps close to the IC or just try other known functionally T-CON.

Comment

Re: Sharp 70 led tv - LC-70UD27U - 2-5 error

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        you need to post pictures of the entire bottom edge board(s) on the side that is of your focus (ie the one related to the removed tcon cable that allows no error). The picture that you post only show a bit.
        This is the best I can do, as I have not taken out the side bezels. From what I understand from reading other threads on this issue; the problem is the side panel drivers for the led, which have shorted in one way or another.

I am leaning towards a solution where the 8 side tabs are taken off from the panel. However, I don't quite understand how, by taking them off from the panel, and disconnecting these 8 tabs from the side of the panel, will actually make it work?!?!

let me know
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jackal68; 12-30-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

that picture is all that you need for now. IF you look, you can see that there is a "U" type cable along the edge board. It is unclampable like the tcon cables that you have been playing with. Of course, never play with cable without disconnecting the power totally.
          disconnect the "U" cable and leave all the tcon cables connected. IF the set works normally than you know that the problem lies beyond that "U" cable. The test is somewhat like the test with the small corner cables on other sets. Go from your result.

Comment

I finally got around to work on the tv again. So I took out the "U" cable from the bottom edge of the tv. Once that was disconnected, there was no error code (with all tcon cables connected). I was able to turn on the tv (didn't check the image but I assume 3/4 of the tv has image.

Can anyone confirm that the issue are the 8 panel tabs on the side edge of the panel that needs to be removed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Comment

Well, I decided to take the chance and follow the instructions that "simplemark1" wrote up on one of the other threads (see his instructions below). Now, I have a functional tv!! Although the screen is not perfect (there is a dark spot on the upper right of the screen and distortion on the left 1/4 section of the tv which had the problem - mostly seem in darker scenes), I'm happy that this tv is not heading to the landfill!
              The picture, watching brighter images is good enough! (great for watching football)!

Here is the simplemark1's write up: (Thanks!)

Thought I'd add another data point. I have the same LC-70UD27U Sharp 70" Ultra HD as BoardHoarder in post #255, and it had the exact same symptoms...2 long, 5 short flashes (bad LED), no backlight and no image on screen with flashlight test. No visible physical or electrical damage (bad caps) of any kind.

When I disconnected the right two ribbon connectors from the bottom of the t-con (#3 and #4 from the left), I got the same split screen as in BoardHoarders pictures (viewed from the front: left half was white and right half had good image). I found that I got the same result if I only disconnected #3 t-con ribbon connector (so #1, #2 and #4 ribbons were connected).

This model is a different design than most of the other Sharp 70" LE models mentioned in this thread; it doesn't have ribbon connectors wrapping around the bottom corner edges, so I couldn't disconnect them to see if it made any difference to the picture. However, the bottom of the TV has 4 green driver boards, and I found (with all 4 ribbons connected at the t-con) that when I disconnected the ribbon connector between driver board #3 and #4 (from the left, viewed from the back) corresponding to the white screen , I got improvement. Three quarters of the screen had good image, and only 1/4 had a white screen corresponding to the disconnected board. I examined the green driver board to see if I saw any bad components and there was nothing obvious.

I decided to go ahead and remove the side ribbon tabs on the end with the white screen. There are 8 ribbon tabs on each side of this model. They are hard to see, and I had to remove a 2nd black metal rim to get to them. I put the tv on it's back on a table using 3 pool "noodles" to support the frame, removed the 2nd black metal rim, and accessed the side tabs. I examined each tab to see if I could see overheated components and none of them appeared damaged. The tabs looked fine, but I went ahead and removed all 8 easily, and fairly cleanly, and re-installed the rim and tested the tv.

The screen had a good image all the way across, so I reassembled the rest of the tv. Upon closer inspection, I found 2 issues:
              1. There are 2 slight streaks that run the width of the led that seems to correspond to one of the tabs that I removed. I'm considering breaking down the screen again to see if I can clean up the removed tab area a bit more to remove the streak, but so far it hasn't annoyed me enough to go to the trouble.
              2. There is a darkish spot, somewhat similar to BoardHoarder's picture, except mine is much larger, less distinct, and in the lower, central part of the screen. This must be a result of removing the tabs on this particular model design. It is not very noticeable and between the two issues, the streak is more obvious.

All in all, I consider it a success. I want to thank Budwich and Freakaftr8 for all the good info they contributed in this thread. This was a free TV that I repaired to be usable and kept out of the dumpster.

Key Data Point: Both of the Sharp LC-70UD27U models in this thread that have had the tabs removed ended up with the dark spot. I think it's still a worthwhile fix because the spot doesn't bother me much in normal viewing, but it is an issue.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Very interesting thread .

Can you clarify , that by removing the side tabs , that you mean slicing the display side tabs off ?

Have carried this out myself on other displays in the past , but a bit risky as there's no going back if it doesn't work .

Great information though , thanks .

Comment

The models affected, are the xxLE series. (Where "xx", is the two digits indicating the screen size)

It was the series that apparently led to the Sharp TV division being sold to Hisense.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-09-2021, 12:06 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

:-( I think perhaps there are a few other problems somewhere along the bottom edge boards.... but if you are happy and the thing isn't headed for the recycle bin, that's a win win.

Comment

Would this also apply to the LC-70UQ17U? It seems the inside of my TV is a bit different... ?

Comment

Originally posted by anthony_c View Post
                        Would this also apply to the LC-70UQ17U? It seems the inside of my TV is a bit different... ?
                        Yours sounds like it's likely to be an early variant with CCFLs. Before LED backlights.

Their LED-backlit LCDs, are usually called LCxxLExxxxx.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                        X