Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query - Technics SP10 Mk2 direct drive TT recap

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Technics SP10 Mk2 direct drive turntable from 1981.

It came from a radio station so I presume it has spent most of it's life in an air-conditioned studio.

It has a quartz lock system with a number of circuits including a quartz oscillator, frequency generator and phase control ciruits.These are based on (74xx) ICs and it has (x16) (74xx) IC's and (x95) transistors on 3 boards.

Recently I was attempting to connect some oscilloscope probes to check the control circuit as per the manual and slipped and shorted on the probe test points.

I got a fat spark where there shouldn't be one and the smell of transistors/ICs frying.

I have tested the transistors and found 12 bad so ordered replacements. After I replace the transistors I'll see if it works but don't hold much hope.

At this point I'm assuming a possible full IC replacement and have ordered a set.

The original Mitsubushi (73xx) IC's are rare and expensive but there are reports of successful IC replacement with modern (74HCTxx) CMOS ICs.

So while I have it apart and am doing this I would like to recap the boards. The original capacitors from 1981 are Panasonic EC in a purple/lilac colour.

My query is -
    Are there any particular parameters that I should pay attention to in choosing capacitors to go on the boards in circuit with the (74HCTxx) IC's (i.e. high ripple current, Low-ESR, Low impedance, Not Low-ESR etc.)?

I would start with 105C rated but am not sure if there are any further requirements.

It seems that a lot of guys use Panasonic FC in recapping these units. I would guess because they are Panasonic like the unit manufacturer and also because Panasonic FCs are popular in the diy audio/hifi community. I am not particularly attached to any brand.

I have attached photos of the boards, the manual and a caps list (based on FC) compiled by someone else to indicate the values and quantities that are required for this job.

I may be overthinking this but I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone may have on capacitor choice.
    Attached Files
Working...
X