Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    ...with 2004 20H2 they've gotten rid of the system information item and turned it into a settings.
    2004, system info is still there. 20h2 was the first I noticed this......and it's fugging retarded!!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

You can pin stuff to the icons on the right of the start menu but yeah, not as main folders
      But not links to pages, SMB servers and programs that have just exe, but are not installed. If it is not in the start menu as installed program, you cant pin it.
      I found a workaround, but this should be option out of the box.
      I have encountered this bug multiple times with systems with dual core processors and at least 4GB of RAM. Makes them sluggish and almost unusable.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        For one, they're x64, although many early models used a 32 bit uefi, which like some early C2D macbooks, precludes x64 windows. Four cores too.
        Reminds me of Core Duo, (pre-Core 2) which were pretty much dual-core Pentium Ms. Those were 32-bit only, IIRC.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
          But not links to pages, SMB servers and programs that have just exe, but are not installed. If it is not in the start menu as installed program, you cant pin it.
          I found a workaround, but this should be option out of the box.
          I have encountered this bug multiple times with systems with dual core processors and at least 4GB of RAM. Makes them sluggish and almost unusable.
          I have a self upgraded Asus laptop (X401a, you'll see another thread from me somewhere about these). It has a sandy bridge 2020M (dual core) with 4gb and a SSD and it's...somewhat sluggish, but certainly usable
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
            Reminds me of Core Duo, (pre-Core 2) which were pretty much dual-core Pentium Ms. Those were 32-bit only, IIRC.
            Yes, core was 32 bit. Back then UEFI was pretty much limited to Macs.

The 32bit UEFI on a x64 CPU issue traces back to such CPUs. For whatever reason Apple wasn't able to (or just chose not to) use x64 UEFI on early core2 implementations (macbooks and macbook pros if memory serves), possibly to ensure compatibility with thier original non-core2 Intel offerings. IIRC for x64 windows this wasn't an issue since they were booting from boot camp (UEFI support didn't come until windows 7), but it made linux bootloader installs a bit irregular if one wanted x64. On my first bay trail tablet (with the same 32 bit UEFI on 64 bit CPU issue, I tried to linux it (PC linux distros, not Android), and I had to deal with this to get x64 going (wasn't too bad once set up)... but driver shortcomings and lousy on-screen-keyboard support killed it off. Maybe it's better now, but I'll take modded 8.1 over Android (the other natively supported OS) any day, and as little as I use them any more, I can't be bothered to dick with it more.
            Last edited by ratdude747; 01-11-2021, 12:45 PM.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Personally, I would never install 10 on anything other than an SSD. Hell I would not install win7 on anything other than an SSD either. XP is probably ok
              I agree with the part in bald text only.
              Though, yes, you are correct that Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD is painful.

Windows 7, on the other hand, can still be very snappy on a mechanical HDD - better than 10 on SSD, in many cases.

I frequently use those single-platter 250 GB WD Blue HDDs in my better Win7 builds, and boot times (from pressing power button to ready to use PC on desktop) can be as fast as 20-25 seconds, depending on how fast each system goes through POST and whatnot. Then again, my Windows 7 installs are super-clean - no self-starting crap of any kind, other than necessary drivers and services. The key is to turn off a lot of the crap that is usually enabled on a stock Windows 7 install.

As for XP... seriously, you're only "maybe" considering that it can work on a mechanical?
              XP SP2/SP3 can be very quick even on slightly older mechanical HDDs. Just don't go too far back, like those 10-20 GB multi-platter drives from the very early 2000's or older... or 2.5" notebook low-RPM drives (that actually applies to newer HDDs too.) Again, key is to turn off some stuff that are normally turned on by default (Indexing Service, anyone? )

*EDIT*
              I find it funny how the polls turned out so far for this year, with legacy Windows (Vista, XP, 2k, and etc.) still getting more votes than Mac OS/X or Windows 8/8.1, just like last year. No wonder Keri J. ran off - we just can't seem to show any love for the Macs here.
              Last edited by momaka; 01-12-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD is painful.
                It runs ok on a 10k rpm Velociraptor (though just ok, not exactly "snappy") , but yes a "standard" 7,200 rpm drive is very slow and a 5,400 rpm drive borderline unusable.

Comment

What's bald text? Sans serif?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    What's bald text? Sans serif?
                    good catch.
                    Kind of funny I highlighted my own mistake for everyone to see, too. Epic

Comment

Though, yes, you are correct that Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD is painful.

Windows 7, on the other hand, can still be very snappy on a mechanical HDD - better than 10 on SSD, in many cases.

I frequently use those single-platter 250 GB WD Blue HDDs in my better Win7 builds, and boot times (from pressing power button to ready to use PC on desktop) can be as fast as 20-25 seconds, depending on how fast each system goes through POST and whatnot. Then again, my Windows 7 installs are super-clean - no self-starting crap of any kind, other than necessary drivers and services. The key is to turn off a lot of the crap that is usually enabled on a stock Windows 7 install.

As for XP... seriously, you're only "maybe" considering that it can work on a mechanical?
                      XP SP2/SP3 can be very quick even on slightly older mechanical HDDs. Just don't go too far back, like those 10-20 GB multi-platter drives from the very early 2000's or older... or 2.5" notebook low-RPM drives (that actually applies to newer HDDs too.) Again, key is to turn off some stuff that are normally turned on by default (Indexing Service, anyone? )

*EDIT*
                      I find it funny how the polls turned out so far for this year, with legacy Windows (Vista, XP, 2k, and etc.) still getting more votes than Mac OS/X or Windows 8/8.1, just like last year. No wonder Keri J. ran off - we just can't seem to show any love for the Macs here.
                      actually my shop box does have 10 on a mechanical drive. A 2tb WD RE. You can def. tell it has some slow boot and loading

I can get a $29 SSD from newegg and everything works great

I also need 10 to make Easeus partition disks, to use the 10 PE that has native USB 3.0 support

Comment

W10 is so bloated that instead of M$ de-bloating it so it runs properly on a mechanical drive, they just say "get an SSD" so it at least has some hope of running like it ought to.

Meanwhile, I've gotten Debian 10 running reliably on a 40GB Maxtor IDE drive (and even a 4.3GB WD AC14300R drive from 1999) with no problems.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Well, if storage space available is not of too much concern, MicroCenter has their Inland house branded SSDs for usually ~20 for 120-128 GB. These are cache-less, so not the best performers... but still miles ahead of a mechanical. Reliability-wise, I used one in my work laptop for a year. It started getting slow after that (probably needed a wipe and re-write on all of the data, because only the boot times got slow - everything else was fast)... but then my contract ended, so I pulled it out and didn't have to worry about it anymore. Nevertheless, for the $20 I paid myself out of pocket, I think it was totally worth it. Saved me a lot of time (and sleep) on on-call tickets. The boot times with the original mechanical HDD were absolutely mind-numbing - and this was on a semi-bloated Windows 7 install. I can't even try to imagine what Win10 would have ran like on that laptop.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                          W10 is so bloated that instead of M$ de-bloating it so it runs properly on a mechanical drive, they just say "get an SSD" so it at least has some hope of running like it ought to.
                          That's the problem with all modern software. No one bothers anymore to release updates or newer versions of SW that optimize performance (not significantly, anyways.) Most updates tend to be either security fixes, bug fixes, or adding new features (and sometimes introducing new bugs with those.) And beyond all, it seems that "form" now regularly takes priority over "function". On that note, modern games are probably the best (saddest) example of this.
                          Last edited by momaka; 01-14-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

these are 256g $29 drives. No promising on the cache or TBW

Comment

What about using server os as desktop os. Most of the Windows10 nonsense is notexistent in Win2016
                              Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                              1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

actually my shop box does have 10 on a mechanical drive. A 2tb WD RE. You can def. tell it has some slow boot and loading

I also need 10 to make Easeus partition disks, to use the 10 PE that has native USB 3.0 support
                                Win10 on a laptop with a 5400rpm (or slower) spinner is worse than Chinese water torture.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

my main systems are all running windows 7
                                  backup systems are running Linux variants
                                  using server 2008r2 and 2016 for my 2 servers
                                  and an old Pentium 4 IBM with 20gb spinner with windows 10 enterprise ltsc

Comment

Win10 across the board... Whenever i need to use w7 for some task, i always feel like throwing the laptop out of the window after 30minutes of use or so. Why anyone would run that sh*t as main is a mystery to me?

Comment

^ So what exactly are those "tasks" that make Windows 10 so much better than 7?
                                      Perhaps if you care to explain, that might give your argument a bit more credibility. Just sayin'

Comment

^ So what exactly are those "tasks" that make Windows 10 so much better than 7?
                                        Perhaps if you care to explain, that might give your argument a bit more credibility. Just sayin'
                                        I was kind of thinking the same thing myself.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Search is better, RSAT Feature on demand and built in dark mode.

Comment

Working...
                                          X