Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp Aquos LC-70UQ17U with a 3-1 that was really a 2-5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos LC-70UQ17U with a 3-1 that was really a 2-5...

This site is so great, helped me repair a second TV today. Wanted to share in just in case someone else stumbles across a similar issue.

I picked up this unit yesterday for free. Was flashing a 3-long, 1-short code. According to the service manual, this represents a communication issue with the main board. PO had replaced the PSU board with a used one and told me the same error code was present, so he gave up. Three years ago, (and huge thanks to this site!!) I had found a 70" Aquos that had the 2-5 code.

The excellent post by freakaftr8 (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281) had helped me bring that unit back to life and it is still going strong. Feeling somewhat confident that I might be able to troubleshoot this unit, I hauled it home yesterday.

Started out with checking trying to check the voltages from the PSU to the main board. Tough to get into those lower plugs!! Decided first to just check if it could be the related TCON board issue and unhooked one, and then the other, lower flex cables.

With the lower right (from looking at the front of the TV) unhooked, the picture sprang to life! Feeling I was in familiar territory, I unscrewed the frame from that side and peeled off the LCD drivers. Hooked everything back up and the picture now looks fantastic.

Not sure why it was flashing the 3-1 code versus the 2-5 that seems more typical. Now I need to find a place to put this behemoth!
    Attached Files

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-70UQ17U with a 3-1 that was really a 2-5...

Nice! Congrats on the fix. Btw, by removing these LCD drivers... are you losing anything as far as picture quality? If I cut the LCD drivers from BOTH left and right side would that mess the TV up completely? The problem is I don't know which side is bad.

What symptoms did you have exactly before tinkering with anything? My TV shows the standby light for a second and then does the 2-5 blink. IIRC eventually it powers itself off. Was your unit doing the same thing? I tried unplugging the TCON ribbon cables but still no difference so I am not entirely sure which side is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by anthony_c View Post
      Nice! Congrats on the fix. Btw, by removing these LCD drivers... are you losing anything as far as picture quality? If I cut the LCD drivers from BOTH left and right side would that mess the TV up completely? The problem is I don't know which side is bad.

What symptoms did you have exactly before tinkering with anything? My TV shows the standby light for a second and then does the 2-5 blink. IIRC eventually it powers itself off. Was your unit doing the same thing? I tried unplugging the TCON ribbon cables but still no difference so I am not entirely sure which side is the issue.
      I have a similar unit that I have been using for over 3 years that has a great picture, following an identical procedure of removing one side of the drivers.

Have you read the posts under the link that I provided in my initial post? He does a great job going thru each step of the troubleshooting process to determine which side is bad. I demonstrate loudly enough : IF YOU REMOVE BOTH DRIVER STRIPS, YOU WILL HAVE NO PICTURE.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Comment

The fault does not appear to mimic the tab tear off symptons since Anthony C doesn't even get a picture on the screen.

It may be better to start a new post highlighting the problem and giving whatever voltage readings taken.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
          The fault does not appear to mimic the tab tear off symptons since Anthony C doesn't even get a picture on the screen.

It may be better to start a new post highlighting the problem and giving whatever voltage readings taken.
          Hi, thanks for the response. I did a voltage test yesterday with the board OUT of the TV and everything seems to check out fine. I did open a thread a while back but the fix got put on the back burner.

Here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...853#post906853

I feel like something in the tv, or panel is shorting something out but I just can't find it. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Thainglo View Post
            I have a similar unit that I have been using for over 3 years that has a great picture, following an identical procedure of removing one side of the drivers.

Have you read the posts under the link that I provided in my initial post? He does a great job going thru each step of the troubleshooting process to determine which side is bad. I demonstrate loudly enough : IF YOU REMOVE BOTH DRIVER STRIPS, YOU WILL HAVE NO PICTURE.

Good luck, keep us posted!
            Thank you for this!

Were you having the same symptoms as I am? Or were you getting some sort of picture? The thing is I am not getting any picture when disconnecting the t-con.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea how to over ride the test and force the power supply on / clear the codes on this tv?

Also, when you guys say to disconnect the tabs on the bottom right corner.... I do see a ribbon connector at the bottom left and bottom right of the TV that goes into the driver boards... is that what I would disconnect to check which side of the tv is bad?
              Last edited by anthony_c; 01-13-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Check the thread linked in the first post, over 1,000 posts, this technique and diagnoses is covered from top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post

Yes, thats the thing.... I am getting nothing when removing the tcon ribbons.

I still have not seen any backlight or picture however the previous owner said it all started with a faint picture.... another thing is I just checked a video from when I first got the TV (its been sitting here for a year+) and originally it had the 3-1 blink.... now I have the 2-5 blink. Would that tell us anything?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                    Check the thread linked in the first post, over 1,000 posts, this technique and diagnoses is covered from top to bottom.
                    Yeah, Ive been trying to reach as much as possible lol. I found the Vol - and input combo... but does nothing.

Btw, I just realized this TV initially had the 3-1 blink code as well and then started the 2-5 blink code out of no where. Any idea how or why that would happen?

Comment

Working...
                    X