Physical Electrolytic Cap Size Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Electrolytic Cap Size Question

My question has to do with through-hole Electrolytic Capacitor physical size and finding the correct specification in ordering a replacement.

Example: I'm working on an old video arcade monitor. The parts list calls for two (2) 6800pF, 50V Electrolytic Capacitors (ECap). Based on that specification, you can go to Mouser, DigiKey, etc and get a through-hole ECap at that spec…and get a far smaller one (physical size-wise) than what was on the board.

From my limited knowledge, I understand that size does matter in this application because of the stress that the circuit puts on the ECap in charging and discharging, so I'm assuming that its something to do with the operational frequency of the ECap.

My question:
    Is there something on the old cap I can look at to get the right replacement part? Going just by the parts list, it doesn't state size or frequency.

Is it better to measure the ECap that's on the board first, and match-up the physical size and capacitor specs with the suppliers? Wondering how other experience repair shops solve this…especially when building a spare parts inventory.

Any help or direction would be most appreciated.

Re: Physical Electrolytic Cap Size Question

6800pF is not an electrolytic

Comment

Unfortunately, the parts list states pF, but the actual size is uF. See attached photos.

Attached Files

Comment

those are good caps,
        the base is called 10mm snap-in btw

Comment

Working...
        X