X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap Replacement MSI K8N Diamond Plus and ASUS A8N SLI Premium

Hi,

for the mentioned motherboards I need to replace the following caps:

1000 uF, 6.3V: KZG (I guess its from United Chem; should be those: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d4dac53975.pdf)
    470 uF , 16V: Rubycon MBZ
    1000 uF, 16V: Rubycon MBZ
    100 uF , 16V: G-Luxon
    820 uF , 6.3V:
    1500 uF, 6.3V:

The obvious problem is, that I can not replace them 1:1 due to discontinuation e.g. Rubycon MBZ.
    Do you know suitable replacements by heart?

BR

PS: I will give more details on the last two including some pictures, once I come home in the evening.
    PPS: I would like to buy the replacements off of Mouser.
    Last edited by blub0815; 01-12-2021, 03:38 AM.

Re: Cap Replacement MSI K8N Diamond Plus and ASUS A8N SLI Premium

replace MBZ with solid polymer caps

Comment

do they at all? Nvidia chipsets have a tendency to die
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by blub0815 View Post
        1000 uF, 6.3V: KZG (I guess its from United Chem; should be those: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d4dac53975.pdf)
        470 uF , 16V: Rubycon MBZ
        1000 uF, 16V: Rubycon MBZ
        100 uF , 16V: G-Luxon
        820 uF , 6.3V:
        1500 uF, 6.3V:
        what are the dimensions of the caps as well as where on the board are they located? some places u can get away with just 10k hour electrolytic caps. dont spend too much money on polymers for this type of boards as the chipset tends to die like uranium-235 said. the chipset coolers are also crap and the fan tends to die also killing the chipset even faster!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

The "MSI K8N Diamond" is new old stock, however after opening the box the KZG's were all bad.
          So the chipset should be no problem here! ;-)
          The "ASUS A8N SLI" is one of my own boards, so I am pretty certain the chipset did not die of heat.

The Rubycon MBZ are located at the buck converters at the MSI motherboard. They are however looking good by visual inspection.

I am eager to try.

Comment

stand back when you first test it.

i had a board unused for years, powered it and a rubycon MCZ exploded.
            i think it became de-polarised in the bag!

Comment

Editing is somehow not possible, here are the dimensions for the caps of the MSI board:

Hi,
              1000 uF, 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~8.2mm, height ~13mm (I guess its from United Chem; should be those: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d4dac53975.pdf)
              470 uF , 16V: Rubycon MBZ, diameter ~8.2mm, height ~13mm
              1000 uF, 16V: Rubycon MBZ, diameter ~8.2mm, height ~21mm
              100 uF , 16V: G-Luxon, diameter ~5.2mm, height ~11mm
              100 uF , 16V: KZG, diameter ~5.1mm, height ~ 12mm
              820 uF , 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~8.2mm , height ~12mm
              1500 uF, 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~ 8.2mm, height ~19mm
              10 uF, 25V: dont know, diameter ~4.2mm, height ~6mm
              @stj
              I will be careful, thanks!

Here are some pictures (Red: Rubycon, Green: G-Luxon, rest are KZG)
              https://abload.de/image.php?img=img_...61439m5jrl.jpg
              https://abload.de/image.php?img=img_...64057tdk8v.jpg
              Last edited by blub0815; 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

1000 uF, 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~8.2mm, height ~13mm
                820 uF , 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~8.2mm , height ~12mm
                i believe these caps are scattered around the board around the pci slots, usb headers and ports and ram slots. these are general filtering caps for the minor rails and u can use electrolytic caps to replace them. replace them with panasonic fr 1000uF 6.3v 8x11.5mm caps.
                1500 uF, 6.3V: KZG, diameter ~ 8.2mm, height ~19mm
                i believe two of these caps are found near the chipset on the a8n sli premium. those two can be replaced with panasonic fr 1500uF 6.3v 8x20mm caps.

however, there are also some found beside the cpu. those can be replaced with polymers like chemicon psc series 1500uF 2.5v 8x11.5mm caps.

the rubycons dont need replacing. they are fine unless they explode after testing then u'll need to replace them.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions mate!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    stand back when you first test it.

i had a board unused for years, powered it and a rubycon MCZ exploded.
                    i think it became de-polarised in the bag!
                    That's not too uncommon for MCZ.

MBZ on the other hand is a lot more stable. I don't recommend you replace those unless you're experiencing problems. I have 15-YO Rubycon MBZ from two motherboards - one was heavily used and another that got killed by a Bestec ATX250-12E PSU so it sat all those years without seeing much powering up. I've tested the MBZ out of both motherboards, and they were pretty much spot-on.

The KZG, of course, should go. Most are problematic... though not all. Actually, only some particular sizes are affected and their date of production matters too. But to be safe, it is typically better to replace KZG than not to replace it, especially if you have one or more bulging - that means usually the other KZGs on the board are not far behind.

And as for the nVidia chipsets - make sure they run cool or they will out probably way before the caps do. Small fan on each chipset heatsink is recommended. You don't have to run the small fan on full blast - just enough to push a bit of air enough to keep the heatsink from getting hot.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-20-2021, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X