Finally bit the bullet on the Hakko FR301

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally bit the bullet on the Hakko FR301

I've been eyeing this thing up for years but could never justify the cost. I'm doing more console modding and repairs so I finally bit. I don't have it yet but wondering others opinions. I'll not be surprised to hear "you should have bought X instead". Unlike the hundreds of decent Hakko soldering iron clones, I didn't feel the chinese desoldering clones came anywhere near this unit.
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Re: Finally bit the bullet on the Hakko FR301

It's simply great!
    I got one a while ago too, some jobs are just too easy now with it!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      It's simply great!
      I got one a while ago too, some jobs are just too easy now with it!
      Any tips? Usage or maintenance.
      Ryzen 3600x
      16GB Patriot 3600MHz
      MSI B450 Gaming Plus
      MSI Air Boost Vega 56
      Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
      Rosewill Capstone 750W
      Hakko FX-888D Station
      FX-8802 Iron

Comment

It seems pretty simple, you do need to take care of the buildup of crud inside it.
        But there are tools included with that, you will notice it because the vacuum becomes much less effective...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          It seems pretty simple, you do need to take care of the buildup of crud inside it.
          But there are tools included with that, you will notice it because the vacuum becomes much less effective...
          How about tips and filters? I thought about getting one of the larger tips in addition to the 1mm that comes with so I can do bigger ground lugs and such. Does it come with enough filters for a years worth of use or so?
          Ryzen 3600x
          16GB Patriot 3600MHz
          MSI B450 Gaming Plus
          MSI Air Boost Vega 56
          Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
          Rosewill Capstone 750W
          Hakko FX-888D Station
          FX-8802 Iron

Comment

lol
            all these companies kill you on the cost of filters.

make your own with A4 sheet material and a chinese leather punch of the correct diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
              How about tips and filters? I thought about getting one of the larger tips in addition to the 1mm that comes with so I can do bigger ground lugs and such. Does it come with enough filters for a years worth of use or so?
              There was a filter or two included I believe, whether that lasts for a year or not would depend allot on usage I'd say
              Yea I did get the 4mm x 1mm tip (N61-16) as well, that is very useful for larger contacts.

Comment

Tips and filter are the most two consumables are used on these devices and you should have them on hand also get in the habit of using the tube cleaning rod each time you are about to turn off the unit for the day this is extremely important to do on constantly base’s or you will have to drill open the suction tube if you do not do this every time before you turn it off for the day this has to with the flux in the solder
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

one very important thing,
                  DO NOT ADD FLUX TO THE JOINTS.
                  the pump will pull it in and it will line and clog the tube and also mess up the filter.

Comment

They are susceptible to clogging with solder cooling down in the heating element's tube. You have to use the wire poker, especially with lead-free solders, as a habit.
                    A few times I've taken out the filter cartridge and poked in reverse, at the vacuum side to push out a broken pin that got pulled in.

If it doesn't work well, your technique needs to change or improve:
                    Some people hold the vacuum on for too short a time period, leaving some solder in the tube, not long enough to suck it into the filter.
                    Some people hit the vacuum too soon, before the solder joint is heated up and flowed through to the PC board's other side.
                    I've seen people wiggle the tip too much and trash the pads. Or not hold the tip flush with the board, so you get a tiny vacuum leak because it's crooked.
                    If a board has too little factory solder, not enough to really desolder then add solder to the pins first.
                    For boards with DIP IC's sometimes I put a soldering iron tip on the ICs pins on the top side of the board to melt top layer solder, with the Hakko on the other side of the board I hit the vacuum. When you need a lot of heat for the power pins.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      They are susceptible to clogging with solder cooling down in the heating element's tube. You have to use the wire poker, especially with lead-free solders, as a habit.
                      A few times I've taken out the filter cartridge and poked in reverse, at the vacuum side to push out a broken pin that got pulled in.

If it doesn't work well, your technique needs to change or improve:
                      Some people hold the vacuum on for too short a time period, leaving some solder in the tube, not long enough to suck it into the filter.
                      Some people hit the vacuum too soon, before the solder joint is heated up and flowed through to the PC board's other side.
                      I've seen people wiggle the tip too much and trash the pads. Or not hold the tip flush with the board, so you get a tiny vacuum leak because it's crooked.
                      If a board has too little factory solder, not enough to really desolder then add solder to the pins first.
                      For boards with DIP IC's sometimes I put a soldering iron tip on the ICs pins on the top side of the board to melt top layer solder, with the Hakko on the other side of the board I hit the vacuum. When you need a lot of heat for the power pins.
                      These are very good tips about how to avoid clogging up the tip
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I've got one of the FR-301 desoldering guns for quite a few years now. Still works like a champ and besides changing a filter here and there everything original. Very good product.

Comment

as the owner of a pump-in-base type,
                          a couple of questions i'v wondered for a while.
                          1: is it heavy?
                          2: does it vibrate in your hand to a degree that would be an issue with prolonged use?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            as the owner of a pump-in-base type,
                            a couple of questions i'v wondered for a while.
                            1: is it heavy?
                            2: does it vibrate in your hand to a degree that would be an issue with prolonged use?
                            1. surprisingly no
                            2. not really
                            Ryzen 3600x
                            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                            Rosewill Capstone 750W
                            Hakko FX-888D Station
                            FX-8802 Iron

Comment

TBH I'd rather pull the trigger than bite the bullet.

Sorry had to make this comment...

Comment

I have a chinese one, and I love it. Takes some time to heat up, but once it hits temp it works well. Sometimes you need to add a bit of pb solder to the joint, but when you pull the trigger and hear the slurp... nothing better than that.

Comment

I think the long hose/base desoldering stations make up for the pressure drop with the larger vac pump and extra vacuum solenoid valve for crisp suction.
                                  My Hakko 470 is amazing for heat, it's rated 50W but I use it for soldering too lol.
                                  Really makes the T12 and 888 look bad, now that I know what good heat is like.
                                  My fav is the tip with 1mm hole, fits most caps.

Comment

Yeah, it has been years since I opened up my desoldering gun base, but the pump is about fist sized. It's not small, and I have no lack of suction. The base is a bit oversized for what's in there, but I'm pretty sure the same housing fits a desolder gun / soldering iron combo station also.

Comment

Working...
                                    X