Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adobe Flash woes... again.

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
    Yes, it runs like crap on a ten year old 2.8GHz Celeron (Northwood), to the point where I have to make Firefox windowed (also to get rid of the link spam on the right hand side of each video, e.g. the window is as large as YouTube's minimum Flash size, which is 640x360). It's 10.3 or nothing for me, as HTML5 is actually slower than the latest Flash (11 at the time); newer Flash was somewhat watchable (Flash 11 ran for a few seconds, then lagged, buffered, then ran for a few more seconds etc., more often or not automatically changing all different resolutions right down to an unwatchable 144p; HTML5 on the other hand was a slideshow and not even worth attempting). On the flip side, Media Player Classic can play FLV and MP4 videos at full speed on a Pentium 3 which runs at less than a third of the clock speed of this PC. Flash and YouTube as bad as one another. Long live YouTube downloaders.
    Buffering means poor internet service.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Mozilla deactivated 10.3 version and the activate always option is grayed out

Comment

got to love crashplayer!
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I've given up on Flash now (along with Java, and a few other things). I simply refuse to install it on any of my computers.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
            Noticed it yesterday but for me the activate always option was still available.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
              And that's why I always disable FF updates AND tweak the "blocklist" settings so that FF can't disable any of my extensions if I don't want it to.

To disable "blocklisting" of extensions, type "about:config" in your FF browser's URL (without the quotation marks), and hit enter. Search for "blocklist" in the filter box. When FF finds some stuff:
              - set "extensions.blocklist.enabled" to false
              - delete strings in "extensions.blocklist.detailsURL" and "extensions.blocklist.url"
              now FF won't know what extensions should be "officially" blocked. You might have reinstall FF first, though, because IIRC, once FF blocks an extension and grays it out, you can't enable it anymore (or maybe you can, I just never got deep enough reading into it since I found the "blocklist" settings to be a good workaround on a freshly installed FF).

Also, these days everything is very dynamic (and in a not-so-good way). So always keep several browsers installed and be ready to switch when one "breaks". (OK, in reality, the browser doesn't really break. Just Flash and Java updates and poor HTML coding does.)
              Last edited by momaka; 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Ok, this is something interesting.

I have just installed Windows 8.1 Pro (with Classic Shell, of course) on a laptop with a GTX 260M GPU. I haven't talked about this one, have i? I'll be sure to post it soon.

Since the 50/60fps YouTube videos have been introduced about a month ago, things started lagging like hell in 1080p. Both on my dv9000 (8600M GS) and this GTX 260M. Today i have moved the SSD to this laptop and have installed Windows 8.1 Pro along with the latest nvidia drivers to see if there is a difference. Nothing changed. 1080p video still lags horribly, more of a slideshow than a video. Sound's fine tho... On Flash Player 11.7 things are alright (at least the video keeps playing), but it still drops buckets of frames, making motion look extremely unnatural.

I could not find a solution except lowering the quality to 720p. I tried HTML5, but Firefox does not yet support all the HTML5 video functions, so the HTML5 player in firefox only has 360p and 720p settings (both of which work fine btw, but no 1080p and no 50/60fps).

I googled a bit and the only fix some people have had success with was disabling hardware acceleration. This isn't an option in this case, the CPU in this laptop is not up to that. Even someone with a 2nd gen i5 reported that it was still lagging with hardware acceleration off, along with much higher CPU usage, so this too, does not seem to be a solution.

Then, i read somewhere that IE11 supports all features of HTML5 video and can run 1080p at 50 or 60 fps on YouTube no problem, so i had to try it out. And... i could not believe my eyes. Perfect, buttery-smooth motion at 1080p 60fps in Internet Explorer 11 with HTML5.

I guess Microsoft's browser can at least do ONE thing better than the competition.
                Oh, and one of my Christmas wishes is that Adobe Flash would disappear. Btw, attempting to view 1080p60 videos in Chrome results in lag just as badly as in Firefox, despite Chrome actually using HTML5. It's only IE11 that seems to do a good job.
                Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 12-24-2014, 07:27 PM.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                X