Locked Setup Fails to Unlock with Correct Password - Inspiron 11 3185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked Setup Fails to Unlock with Correct Password - Inspiron 11 3185

I have a Inspiron 11 3185, and in the BIOS setup under Security it shows "Locked Setup", which limits pretty much everything in the BIOS. I'm using bios-pw.org to generate the codes for the hash, but they never work for the Locked Setup password. The codes generated for the System password and the HDD password work fine, but the code for the Locked Setup password always fails. I don't understand, if it works for the first two, why is it not working for the Locked Setup p/w? Since I can't disable it, anytime I reboot, even after a Windows update, I have to go through the hassle of generating the codes for the System and HDD p/ws.

One of the hash code examples given for Dell is -595B, but when I append it to my hash and generate the code, it says it's for Fujitsu-Siemens hexdigits, not a Dell model. Is this normal? The only way I can get the codes to work for the System and HDD is to append my Dell Service Taq code, which it then detects as a Dell Latitude 3540, which is still not my Inspiron 11 3185, but it works for the System and HDD passwords.

I would love to just call Dell and resolve this, but they want to charge me $30 just to give me a code. Seriously, couldn't Dell just as easily provide a way for owners to verify their ownership online, allowing a verified user to simply enter their lock code, and thus receive their unlock code.

Re: Locked Setup Fails to Unlock with Correct Password - Inspiron 11 3185

I contacted Dell via chat regarding this, and surprisingly, they provided me the password for free even though I was 2 years out of warranty. I noticed the codes Dell provided were alphanumeric while the codes generated by bios-pw.org were numerical only. Though they both were 8 characters long.

I gave them this hash for the Locked Setup: 6901CBFE278B52E0
    They gave me two passwords labeled with the same name, which didn't make sense.
    The rep wasn't sure, as he said he was just relaying what his support team was providing him. He told me to just try both, and to press CTRL + Enter after doing so.
    System Master Password is : 8797ED54
    System Master Password is : 7592CDB4

Every time I entered either one of them, it always said it was still invalid, so I was surprised to see the Locked Setup tab was finally gone from the BIOS after rebooting. So now it finally boots straight to Windows, no more System and HDD passwords to contend with.

I would still like to know how to resolve this going forward if this ever happens again and Dell wants to charge me a service ticket.

Comment

Hello, could you unlock, try with Hash Code and it doesn't work
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by izaak94 View Post
        Hello, could you unlock, try with Hash Code and it doesn't work
        What's the code, upload screenshot?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.​
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

here!
          Attached Files

Comment

here!
            Password = 60560264

Comment

The code works to enter the BIOS, but when I try to unlock the System Password it does not accept the code, when I restart the computer it locks again and does not accept the code they gave me...
              Attached Files

Comment

The code works to enter the BIOS, but when I try to unlock the System Password it does not accept the code, when I restart the computer it locks again and does not accept the code they gave me...
                try 70887185
                your bios shows Service Tag HS7XBL2
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
                all donations are welcome,
                see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
                >>>>>
                click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
                Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

At a password prompt screen to enter the bios input the password, press and hold left CTRL key down and press ENTER key twice (CTRL-ENTER-ENTER).

Originally posted by volinakis View Post
                  try 70887185
                  your bios shows Service Tag HS7XBL2
                  Yes, this password is correct for the new system disable code.
                  Last edited by Vesko356; 07-20-2023, 04:10 PM.

Comment

thank you very much it worked with holding the left CTRL key and pressing the ENTER key twice (CTRL-ENTER-ENTER).

Comment

thank you very much it worked with holding the left CTRL key and pressing the ENTER key twice (CTRL-ENTER-ENTER).
                      You're welcome.
                      Now do yourself a favor and read the "BIOS guides, methods, resources and tools" thread to avoid wasting my (and your) time on your next request, because this key sequence is mentioned there.

Comment

Working...
                      X