Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P8H61 Evo - will not turn on

Hi,

I just got this motherboard as "not working", and indeed it seems to have a problem. Both power connectors are plugged, the power led under the lower PCI slot is on, if I switch the "Turbo_Key_II" a red led turns on, so there's power through the board. Yet, it's not reacting when I short the "PWRSW" pins. The PSU fan isn't starting either.

So far I have only tested it without RAM, CPU or video card but it should at least start up and make the fans spin. At least to my knowledge (I have over 100 motherboards around) unless there's some kind of security with modern boards ? I doubt it.

Where should I look at ? There's no physical damage.

I have a Celeron G1620 that should arrive shortly.

Re: Asus P8H61 Evo - will not turn on

I've shorted the Power On wire and a ground wire at the ATX24 connector, and the whole thing seemed to behave properly. All the fans spinned, video card as well. So it doesn't seem anything is shorted. Gonna have to try that again with a CPU and RAM.

Comment

I had an Asus A8AE-LE once that did something similar. SpeedFan was running, and suddenly it started using 100% CPU. When I tried to reboot the computer, it wouldn't come back on. It did intermittently power on (but generally wouldn't), and usually didn't even try to POST. When it did try to POST, however, it failed (1 long beep). The problem turned out to be some kind of conductive thing that landed between two pins on the super i/o chip, and got burnt to a crisp (and shorted the pins) in the process. Cleaning the carbon off didn't help, so I think some damage occurred either to the super i/o itself or something nearby. I had an identical board, so I ended up just switching the entire board out.
      Last edited by cheapie; 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

With the CPU in, it does start with the power pins. But since the CPU got damaged during shipping (caps broken on the bottom, I hate the LGA package), I still don't know if it works.

Comment

Working...
        X