Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months (Vestel 17MB100)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hitachi 55" TV dead after 18 months (Vestel 17MB100)

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
    They look the same but the screen is different. The image might be ok or it might be flipped, solarized. Probably even the remote might be different. You might need to flash the firmware from Hitachi again but you need a toshiba remote control to flash it.
    Are you saying the hardware could be different or it is software that can be changed? I bought mum a 65" Toshiba replacement because TV is her life at 96 years old so have a remote type CT8533.
    There are few listings for your board on ebay...
    I can't see any boards like mine only ones that appear to have the same components with a different reference.

Comment

Software needs to be changed if you use the board from toshiba.

Check here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_nkw=23348885

Comment

Software needs to be changed if you use the board from toshiba
        Could I get an Hitachi 17MB100 main board for 48" or 43" and use my USB stick to upgrade it to 55"? The only difference in the screen type is the VES480QNDS-2D-N11 to VES550QNDS-2D-N11. Another query is I read the USB stick needs to be ext3 format not fat32 or others.
        I tried to check out the power supplies and found there was no 5V STBY on the main board but following it back to the PSU board there are no components fitted. Should there be 5V on the main board perhaps derived from another rail or is it an option that isn't required on this model TV?
        Last edited by Ruptor; 10-06-2021, 04:20 PM. Reason: Extras

Comment

Hi, try this, freeze with a butane gas or compressed air upside down can the following chips on the mainboard for 2-3sec.: U18,U23,U27 (appearently one microcontroller, two spi flash), U31(emmc) and eventually U1, wait 5sec. then turn on tv... Bye...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruptor View Post
            Could I get an Hitachi 17MB100 main board for 48" or 43" and use my USB stick to upgrade it to 55"? The only difference in the screen type is the VES480QNDS-2D-N11 to VES550QNDS-2D-N11. Another query is I read the USB stick needs to be ext3 format not fat32 or others.
            I tried to check out the power supplies and found there was no 5V STBY on the main board but following it back to the PSU board there are no components fitted. Should there be 5V on the main board perhaps derived from another rail or is it an option that isn't required on this model TV?
            Its better to change the mainboard only with the correct part number. A mainboard from a 43 or 48 might work or it might not work. I cannot give you an answer for this. You have to find out yourself if you wanna go along that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
              Hi, try this, freeze with a butane gas or compressed air upside down can the following chips on the mainboard for 2-3sec.: U18,U23,U27 (appearently one microcontroller, two spi flash), U31(emmc) and eventually U1, wait 5sec. then turn on tv... Bye...
              Not so easy to do I don't have a freezer spray. Would it work putting the board in the freezer & dropping it to zero C?
              Its better to change the mainboard only with the correct part number. A mainboard from a 43 or 48 might work or it might not work. I cannot give you an answer for this. You have to find out yourself if you wanna go along that way.
              I am still hoping to fix the original board. I think the PSU is working & saw a cheap board for £13 that will verify the PSU state & give me a whole TV board that can drive an older TV via SCART or HDMI that can't tune the latest incarnation of digital channels with the addition of a PC supply. The final solution might be a £40 board if the problem is hardware but I want to investigate and learn more.

Comment

In freezer is ok.

Comment

In freezer is ok.
                  I nearly had frost bite when fitting the frozen board but it didn't make any difference.
                  There is 5V on the main on the LED connector so it must be an option to derive it from either 3.3V or 12V.
                  I am setting up a terminal to read the Tx output on the mini SCART today when I figure out which pin it is in the normal SCART socket on the end of the adapter lead.

Comment

I'm sorry, some moments i have maybe a loss of concentration, reading again the first post, indeed the freeze technique is not the thing to do. Let's start to say that i don't trust the fate fault, this behaviours happens very often and are the manufacturers that intentionally bricks your device!
                    In this optic you can follow two main paths, one to complaint agaist Hitachi that you are sure the fault is by guilt of the upgrade software, until you are to the point of scream in their face, this is the best approach because morally right. The other is to study how the tv is bricked and this only by the serial log and trying to enter in the console..
                    Last edited by Davi.p; 10-10-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

In this optic you can follow two main paths, one to complaint agaist Hitachi that you are sure the fault is by guilt of the upgrade software, until you are to the point of scream in their face, this is the best approach because morally right. The other is to study how the tv is bricked and this only by the serial log and trying to enter in the console..
                      Under the Consumer Rights Act 2018 it is the vendor not the manufacturer that is responsible and as it's a TV the expectation is still covered after 18 months.

The OP needs to remind the vendor about the UK laws under which they operate. They do at times seem to "forget". Loudly and on a Saturday when the shop is busiest is the best time to get the fastest resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                        Under the Consumer Rights Act 2018 it is the vendor not the manufacturer that is responsible and as it's a TV the expectation is still covered after 18 months.
                        I didn't know that & when the supplied USB didn't work, after my prompting, Argos did give me the option of writing to customer services that would have been a long process but I was dealing with the incompetent doctors trying to get mum out of hospital where they were doing nothing for her so didn't follow it up.
                        this is the best approach because morally right. The other is to study how the tv is bricked and this only by the serial log and trying to enter in the console..
                        Making money and morality are at odds these days.
                        This board works the TV full screen but the picture is upside down.
                        17MB120 23345028 FOR HITACHI 48HK6T74U TV SCREEN: VES480QNDS-2D-N11
                        Easily fixed by turning the TV 180 degrees and it proves beyond doubt that my main board is faulty.

After hours of messing around trying to get Putty working on Linux I ended up just setting up two terminal windows for receive and send that ended up stuck in a loop when I tested the comms by linking the RX & TX wires on the USB to serial adapter but it proved it could receive.
                        I have the PSU & main board on the table but there is no comms out of the SCART. I put the receive in both Data1 & Data2 but nothing. Does the board require other things plugged in to get to the point of talking to the serial output?

Comment

Hi.

17MB120 VES480QNDS-2D-N11 Flipped Panel File :
                          Attached Files
                          https://www.badcaps.net

Comment

Originally posted by arizanotlari View Post
                            17MB120 VES480QNDS-2D-N11 Flipped Panel File :
                            Thanks for the file but what do I do with it? Put it on a USB stick & hold button at power on? Will a future update flip screen back?

Comment

Unzipp.Create a folder called PQ on the stick (fat32). Put the file in it. Stick to tv. Type MENU 4725. Go to USB Operations and press OK. Exit the menu and turn off the TV. Unplug the TV and wait 1 minute. Take out the stick and turn on the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
                                Unzipp.Create a folder called PQ on the stick (fat32). Put the file in it. Stick to tv. Type MENU 4725. Go to USB Operations and press OK. Exit the menu and turn off the TV. Unplug the TV and wait 1 minute. Take out the stick and turn on the TV.
                                Is there a way to back up the existing code just in case of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruptor View Post
                                  Is there a way to back up the existing code just in case of a problem.
                                  That file only changes the screen. Your screen is already faulty so no need to backup that.

Comment

usually serial line is not in scart port but in VGA or hdmi or internal port..

Comment

usually serial line is not in scart port but in VGA or hdmi or internal port..
                                      Quote from Hitachi 55HK6T64U
                                      55293DLB MB100 SERVICE MANUAL

"Try to update TV with latest SW. Additionally it is good to check SW printouts via Teraterm. These printouts may give a clue about the problem. You can use mini scart for terraterm connection. "

Mini SCART Pins 9 & 12 on the schematic are labelled UART_RX_SC & UART_TX_SC but there is no description of what happens in the adapter cable to convert the mini to standard SCART socket
                                      Last edited by Ruptor; 10-13-2021, 04:12 AM. Reason: Extras

Comment

Can't you solder copper filaments onto miniscart internally? you have to connect ground , tx, rx, obviously tx,rx must be crossed respect to rx,tx of adapter..

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
                                          Unzipp.Create a folder called PQ on the stick (fat32). Put the file in it.
                                          I tried putting the screen flip file on root but it wasn't used by the TV so I put it in a directory called PQ like you said and it worked. Thanks a lot for the help and information from everybody I now have a working TV with the screen up the right way but the case needs hacking to clear the onboard SCART, the shifted aerial, Ethernet and SPDIF.

Now I query the USB stick I was sent by Hitachi for the original board and whether it was created correctly for the job? All the files are in root as per the picture of previous post #6 but does the stick need to be bootable which it isn't?

Comment

Working...
                                          X