Motor Run Capacitor in AC unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Run Capacitor in AC unit

The hot summer days from the heat wave around a month ago here in southern california took its toll on my Air Conditioning unit. I tried to turn it on a few days ago as usual..., but the unit would not start up. A quick call to a friend who services AC units got me back up and running again. There was a bad motor run cap that was obviously bulging

Replacement cap was bought locally for around $15, MUCH cheaper than calling some random AC repairman from the yellow pages. Just though I would share this experience with you guys.
    Attached Files

Re: Motor Run Capacitor in AC unit

My brother had the same problem with a large window unit he uses to cool his ranch house.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

in a good season i can fill a 5 gallon pickle bucket with motor caps failed like that just from window units i rebuild to sell.sometimes they blow up or spit out the terminals.

Comment

OMG Moby Cap, Thar she blows.
        Jim

Comment

Are that AL elektrolytic caps? metall paer should not bulge that way, but may be a litle expensive at that capacity.

Comment

iirc they are paper/oil dielectric.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              in a good season i can fill a 5 gallon pickle bucket with motor caps failed like that just from window units i rebuild to sell.sometimes they blow up or spit out the terminals.
              Might tell that to the man at the locan junkyard.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
              X